VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an ancient 386 laptop. Pretty cool- but I have no power supply for it.
This machine is really cool and I'm willing to spend a bit to use it, but I can't find replacements online- understandably. Does anyone have one and can either figure out what else would work and I can find, or help me modify a different once?
http://i.imgur.com/7VPbpOm.jpg

what even is this, why

Reply 1 of 7, by ncafferkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've try to attach a photo of the bottom of the PSU, which has a pin out diagram.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

This helps but damn, I cannot find a single source online to actually get one.
16V though, maybe I can modify something.

Just get a 16v adapter that's about the same current, and worry about the end later. They sell universal laptop connectors, or if you have one, use a variable bench supply.

Reply 4 of 7, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The end is the problem. You see the pinout on that pic? That's what the end looks like. Nothing else I have ever seen has that end.
I can rip apart a power supply and try to kludge something I guess.

Reply 5 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

The end is the problem. You see the pinout on that pic? That's what the end looks like. Nothing else I have ever seen has that end.
I can rip apart a power supply and try to kludge something I guess.

Looks like a DIN connector to me.

Reply 6 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They sell universal power supplies that come with connector adapters. Whether those come with DIN connectors is anyone's guess, but since most connectors can be bought separately soldering an adapter lead yourself should not exactly be rocket science...

Reply 7 of 7, by ncafferkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, I had the problem that the rubber "bumper" alongside the latches for the screen was "melting", but I discovered there's just a thin layer of rubber that can be cleaned off to reveal shiny black plastic underneath.