VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I am building a "time correct" 95/96 Pentium first edition 120Mhz (0,60u) config to "correctly" try Quake and Doom generation games. It's the lowest cpu I have for the 60Mhz fsb of the MVP3 (I have a intel older simm mobo but larger for any case I have). I used 2x32MB of sdram and a 2GB ide disk. For the vga I wanted to use a S3 old card before the Virge DX but I can't find one and miss the original Virge or previous cards so I used a Cirrus Logic GD54M30 1MB pci card. For the soundcard I used a CT2950 creative board, for the NIC a KE2000 isa card.

I tried Quake and Duke3D and they run ok (not extremely fast neither slow.. seems right), I expected the vga being slower but which other 1995-96 time correct video card would you use? Do you think the Cirrus logic I used was ok to buy or already slow back then?

Thank

Reply 1 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would get an S3 and a Voodoo 1 for a late 96 build if you want to do 3D games. Matrox is a good option for windows, not sure about dos support. Cirrus logic like Trident was the bottom of the barrel even though there are a few even worse brands out there but they are rare and almost pointless.

S3, ATI, and Matrox with a 3D accelerator like a Voodoo 1 then you are set.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Than for the advices! Regarding the Voodoo card, I already tried it on the Pentium 100/120 but wasn't it intended for the MMX later processors? It certainly runs as I remember (even Half life ran quiet good). I have the Matrox Millennium and it sound cool, but is it good in Dos too?

Reply 6 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

Than for the advices! Regarding the Voodoo card, I already tried it on the Pentium 100/120 but wasn't it intended for the MMX later processors? It certainly runs as I remember (even Half life ran quiet good). I have the Matrox Millennium and it sound cool, but is it good in Dos too?

Wasn't Voodoo released the year before MMX though?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:
386SX wrote:

Wasn't Voodoo released the year before MMX though?

I read late 1996 almost like the release of the MMX chip, isn't it? By the way I can imagine many people using the 3d card anyway having even older Pentiums.
I have tested the Millennium PCI 4MB and it's impressive how much improved frame rate in Quake.

Reply 8 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MMX's a very 1997 technology. It was also overhyped, as if one doesn't need a voodoo to enjoy bilinear filtering (at a ViRGE-like framerate 😜) and a web plugin of an MMX-exclusive speedboat(iirc) game.

Since you have a Millenium and Voodoo Graphics, you're already all set for high end 96 period gaming, (both definitely existed long before there was MMX and was not designed for MMX - later 3dfx driver releases added driver optimizations for mmx (and 3dnow) however)

all that's left to worry about is the sound card - the ultimate equalizer of retro PCs with huge YMMVs. IMO for 96 high end period, an AWE64 is appropriate as several 95/96 games do have additional enhanced support for the AWE's EMU8000 chip. like the hrtf-esque high quality sounds in Eradicator. and sure you could also use an AWE32 from 94/95 for those, but it'll be very noisy.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

MMX's a very 1997 technology. It was also overhyped, as if one doesn't need a voodoo to enjoy bilinear filtering (at a ViRGE-like framerate 😜) and a web plugin of an MMX-exclusive speedboat(iirc) game.

Since you have a Millenium and Voodoo Graphics, you're already all set for high end 96 period gaming, (both definitely existed long before there was MMX and was not designed for MMX - later 3dfx driver releases added driver optimizations for mmx (and 3dnow) however)

all that's left to worry about is the sound card - the ultimate equalizer of retro PCs with huge YMMVs. IMO for 96 high end period, an AWE64 is appropriate as several 95/96 games do have additional enhanced support for the AWE's EMU8000 chip. like the hrtf-esque high quality sounds in Eradicator. and sure you could also use an AWE32 from 94/95 for those, but it'll be very noisy.

Thank! The Milennium give me the feeling it will beat any other 2D card in both speed and quality, it seems not fair for the other video cards. 😁 The point was that with this and the Voodoo, basically the P120 seems "old". But I don't want to use a 0,35u processor, I prefer the older ones. I have the AWE64 standard but looking at build date it was already late 1997. When it was released?