32-bit Windows OS 4gb Memory Limit

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

Yes, obviously, but I specifically said "x86-based systems".

Understood. Part of my point was that 64 bit systems at the time were very expensive. Multias did exist, but they were kind of shitty and limited.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 25, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank You to everybody! I've learned alot. When the time comes, I'll just grab the 2gb version of the 750 Ti.

To those of you running ramdisks in Windows: What are you using to do it? What is your preferred method? If I've got 750mb being wasted with this x86 version of Win7, I may as well set up a ramdisk with that wasted memory and put my swapfile onto it. I assume that this will require drivers/software that are executed during bootup before Windows establishes the swapfile.

Thanks again

Reply 22 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. The 750 MB isn't being "wasted"; it's being used in a way that prevents it from being directly addressable by Windows. If you set up a 750 MB RAM disk, then you'll only have 2.5 GB to work with. But I could be wrong.

In any case, the only one here so far who has mentioned a ramdisk is Mr. SPBHM, and he's using a 4GB ramdisk.

Reply 23 of 25, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a ramdisk even when I had 4GB physical for the same thing (the page file), I just increased it to 4GB once I had 8GB total of ram, the method was extremely simple but I did years ago, and might need to check some things, but I'm almost certain I used "gavotte ramdisk"

Reply 24 of 25, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SPBHM:

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot.

Jorpho:
I'll let you know if I am able to "reclaim" that 750mb of memory as a ramdisk or if my available system memory is decreased further.

I'm glad I started this thread. I'm learning quite a bit with this one. Thanks again to everybody!

Reply 25 of 25, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been doing a bit of reading. It seems that Jorpho is likely correct. There are comments here which suggest that attempting to access that "lost" memory as a RAMDisk may cause issues:

http://www.jensscheffler.de/using-gavotte-ram … sk-in-windows-7

http://www.osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=178074

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussi … hysical-memory/

I've always been a fan of fixing things that aren't broken, so I still intend to try this out someday. However, I'll do it after I've made a full disk image in case I encounter any problems. When I have something to report, I will post an update here.

Thanks Jorpho for your warning! You probably saved me from some headaches.

It looks like Gavotte RAMDisk works fine for Win7 as well as Vista and XP. However, it does lack some advanced features that other programs have, such as DataRAM's RAMDisk.

From what I've been reading, the general consensus is: If you really want to access that "lost" RAM, just run the x64 version of Windows. Until I have a backup image created, I intend to heed this advice.