VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You young whippersnappers don't know how good you have it! You want ghosting, you want phosphor glow? Try some of this on for size :

20160704_151818.jpg
Filename
20160704_151818.jpg
File size
193.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 21 of 23, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

You young whippersnappers don't know how good you have it! You want ghosting, you want phosphor glow? Try some of this on for size :

20160704_151818.jpg

ooo... that's a 5151 right?

I have a 5153 (CGA... but can be used in lower resolution EGA modes as well) and IMO, it looks amazing.

It is interesting to think that the interface and data these old screens used was actually digital, where as VGA is analog. After reading up on it a bit, it makes sense because it was simpler to handle lower resolutions and color pallets with digital data, but once computers were fast enough to make use of more colors and higher resolutions, analog (VGA) was needed for more flexibility. Now, because everything is so much faster and more precise, we can do better with digital interfaces. 😀

(haha, just realized who this was... if you're the same Great Hierophant from VCF, you know I have a 5153 on an EGA card already. 😁)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

20160704_151818.jpg

"You can start by helping me to understand the nature of the conflict between the two displays that you've set up."
"Green."
"Orange."
"I understand that there are two phosphors, but what is your point of contention? Where do you disagree with each other?"
"Orange."
"Green."

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 23, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

ooo... that's a 5151 right?

Yes, it is.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

(haha, just realized who this was... if you're the same Great Hierophant from VCF, you know I have a 5153 on an EGA card already. 😁)

A worthy combination to be sure.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

It is interesting to think that the interface and data these old screens used was actually digital, where as VGA is analog. After reading up on it a bit, it makes sense because it was simpler to handle lower resolutions and color pallets with digital data, but once computers were fast enough to make use of more colors and higher resolutions, analog (VGA) was needed for more flexibility. Now, because everything is so much faster and more precise, we can do better with digital interfaces. 😀

IBM was virtually unique by using a digital interface to connect to the computer screen, every other computer manufacturer used fully analog interfaces like RF or Composite video, Separated Luma/Chroma (certain Atari 8-bit & most Commodore 64s) or pure RGB (Atari ST, Amiga, Apple IIgs, Tandy CoCo 3)

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog