VOGONS

Reply 40 of 94, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cooler i'm using now is a Scythe Mine, four heatpipe tower cooler. Should be capable of handling any of them.
I'm not planning to overclock. Right now it's a fast 98SE box but i'm thinking of extending its span by a few years moving into XP territory. Another system would be smarter but also take up room and funds.

I reckon SNDS isn't an issue if i don't crank voltages, may just go with what's more easily available but 200mhz more are still tempting.

Edit: Have you ordered from one of the chinese sellers before, do they protect the pins properly?

Reply 41 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
3,4GHz Northwood : LINK 3,4GHz Prescott : LINK […]
Show full quote

3,4GHz Northwood : LINK
3,4GHz Prescott : LINK

Cooling them is main problem.
Even Northood at 3,2GHz (w/HT) will get hot without proper air flow.
Nortwood also can't go much further (3,6-3,8GHz usually) + the SNDS thing...

Prescott's rev. C0/D0 are Really Bad (and you can get those in 3,2GHz and 3,4GHz flavours).

What is the issue in C0/D0 Prescotts? Turns out i have many of them CPUs with that stepping

My 3.4E Ghz Prescott (Socket 478) is a D0, all my 4 3.2E GHz Prescotts are these revisions as well (3x D0 and 1 C0), 7 of my 10 P4 3.0Es are these revisions as well (3x C0 and 4x D0), my 2.8E is a C0 stepping, and some of my LGA 775 P4s are D0 ones too

There a full list of all my prescotts with their s-specs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-jbdgbiY_-Y … iew?usp=sharing

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 42 of 94, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mirror mirror, on the wall...
Which is the hottest Prescott of them all...
LINK
C0 is the hottest, second place is D0 (probably a C0 with better avg. quality of wafers that enabled Intel to lower Vcore and reduce temps).

Then we have E0 (with NX-Bit/64-bit support, still hot-ish at high freq.) and G1 steppings (with VM support and TDP reduction - best Prescott-1M there is).
^Those made Prescott's bearable (to a point where first Double Core CPU's from Intel were made out of them).

157143230295.png

Reply 43 of 94, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright screw it, i'm drawing the line at early 2002 to fit the GF4 ti 4200 in the system.
If i start screwing with it now i'll never stop and since the first wave of FSB533 CPUs dropped just a month after the GPU that'll do.

Adding the Northwood 2.53/512/533 SL6D8

Reply 44 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well. I got a new CPU for the collection. The really high clocked Pentium 4 670 with it's 3.8 GHz

Attachments

• 20160715_110000.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_110000.jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45 of 94, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Around my Willamette P4s, i found this interesting model, unlike all my other Socket 478 Willamettes, this one has the big logo which is only common in early models i think

There a pic of that CPU along with another P4 of the same clock and S-Spec, but the other small logo.

For some reason this thread made me laugh because of the whole Pokémon Go thing going on (gotta catch 'em all!).

I also have one of those with the 'big logo'. I literally just inventoried my CPUs in the last few days and this is what I've got, P4-wise:

SL5VH (Willamette) 1.6GHz/400/256/1.75V
SL6DV (Northwood) 2.4GHz/533/512/1.525V
SL6QB (Northwood) 2.8GHz/533/512/1.525V
SL7EY (Northwood) 2.8GHz/400/512/1.55V
SL6PE (Northwood) 2.667GHz/533/512/1.525V
SL6CJ (Northwood-M) 1.8GHz/400/512/1.3V

A fairly modest selection. I also haven't included any Pentium D models like someone else said. I have to admit, I don't love the P4. The Willamette was actually my main CPU for many years and it was always behind the times. I do feel more fondly for it than the PII, though, which I never had back in the day (went straight from 486DX4 to a Coppermine). In fact it's the only CPU I've run more than one generation of (I moved up to a 3.2GHz Northwood later on as a stop-gap, I think).

So, no, I don't have a big P4 collection. I have 10x Pentium-class CPUs but three of these are 133s. I have 9 486-class CPUs, which makes them my largest collection of one generation (not including 5x86).

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 46 of 94, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was looking through some old records of eBay purchases in years past and realized that I bought a lot more of my P4 CPUs as singles than I remembered. Some I don't even remember what I bought them for, but I guess it had to do with testing motherboards.

I was reminded of a couple low end Northwood C1 CPUs I originally bought to overclock on a budget. The first was an SL6S7 2.0GHz/400, but that turned out to be a disappointment. After that I stepped back to an SL6LA 1.8GHz/400. This was the slowest clocked CPU made on the Northwood C1 stepping, and due to it's clock rating it was cheap on eBay. It was an OEM CPU which arrived possibly never used (100% clean and with perfect pins) in it's original cardboard packaging from Dell or HP (don't remember which). The 1.8GHz chip overclocked much better than the 2.0 rated chip, in fact due to my concerns about the motherboard I was using I didn't actually find it's limit - it had already passed the goal and I didn't want to hurt the board pushing the chipset too high. I think my last stress test was in the 2.6GHz range and it was used long term in a relative's PC at 2.4/533, default voltage. Now the SL6LA is just sitting in the tray with nothing to do, but it was surely the best overachiever of any of my P4 chips. If I have a more suitable board available sometime it might be interesting to see how far it can be pushed.

The P4s I'd still like to get are the top 3.4GHz models for mPGA478 - a Prescott, a Northwood, and a Gallatin. But the CPUs in that speed grade are too expensive for me to be serious about buying them.

Reply 47 of 94, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@up Have you considered 3,2GHz versions of Gallatin/Northwood/Prescott ?

They are cheaper, should overclock that 200MHz no problem (to match 3,4GHz on top ones), and because of lower multi ("16") - they will score better than 3,4GHz versions at same frequency (at least in theory 😉).

157143230295.png

Reply 48 of 94, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

@up Have you considered 3,2GHz versions of Gallatin/Northwood/Prescott ?

They are cheaper, should overclock that 200MHz no problem (to match 3,4GHz on top ones), and because of lower multi ("16") - they will score better than 3,4GHz versions at same frequency (at least in theory 😉).

I've considered them, might do that someday. But if money were no object, I'd love to have all the 3.4s. 😀
The motherboards I have that can run these CPUs are Dells so no overclocking is possible on them. I'm curious to compare the 3 CPU types at equal clocks in applications that interest me (H.264 especially), yet if I decided I liked one of them the best, then I might wish I had bought the top model for daily use. But if my main interest is in comparing them then I should just get all at 3.2GHz to make the cost more reasonable.

Reply 49 of 94, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Three Pentium 4 amigos 😀

Three P4 amigos.png
Filename
Three P4 amigos.png
File size
2.5 MiB
Views
File license
Three P4 amigos 1.png
Filename
Three P4 amigos 1.png
File size
2.55 MiB
Views
File license

EE is marked underneath.

From the left :
Northwood rev. D1 (30 cap)
Gallatin rev. M0
Prescott rev. C0

157143230295.png

Reply 50 of 94, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only P4 in my collection is a 2.8GHz SL6PF chip I pulled out of my mother's Dell when upgrading it, and the only reason I still own it is that it's not worth the trouble to get rid of.

Never liked the P4 from the start, for the same reasons as everyone else, but I did own a P4 system for a year or two when I was in school. It was a 3.4GHz Dell Precision 360 with a 3Dlabs Wildcat 7110 graphics card and an Ultra320 SCSI hard drive. I don't miss it and can't imagine P4 systems ever really becoming collectible. There are better ways to heat a room.

okpLsuE.jpg

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 51 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been inactive in this thread for a while, but i'll try to keep more updated, i've got more P4s since last activity and ordered a P4 661 which is the top line of Cedar Mill

The P4 list will be update soon

Reply 52 of 94, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I have been inactive in this thread for a while, but i'll try to keep more updated, i've got more P4s since last activity and ordered a P4 661 which is the top line of Cedar Mill

The P4 list will be update soon

Nice. Also got a 661 incoming from eBay 😀

It's good to see that some of us do care about the P4. It will always have a special place, regardless of it's weaknesses. I'm currently acquiring lots of CPUs from that era, benchmarking them, AMD as well as Intel. It was a really exciting time that's for sure.

What I find interesting is some of the high end AMD processors are not much behind in terms of heat and power draw 😀 A modern 125W Phenom II X4 stock cooler, copper and with heat-pipes, goes absolutely ballistic with a FX-57 for example 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 53 of 94, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated list with add P4s i got in the last months:

Additions
+3 Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
+1 Petnium 4 HT 3.0C Ghz
+1 Pentium 4 HT 3.0E GHz
+1 Pentium 4 516
+1 Pentium 4 520
+1 Pentium 4 530
+1 Pentium 4 630
+2 Pentium 4 640
+1 Pentium 4 650
+1 Pentium 4 670
+1 Pentium 4 661

Reply 54 of 94, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

I don't miss it and can't imagine P4 systems ever really becoming collectible. There are better ways to heat a room.

They already are collectible but personally I don't care for them and there are better choice if one wants to build a cheap XP rig. As for fast 98 (using P4) I am not all that excited by it plus I am too busy collecting other hardware before it becomes too rare and expensive.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 55 of 94, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which processors have / don't have the option to lower the multiplier?

It seems the 600 series and higher supports this, but anything from the 500 series as well as Celeron D have a fixed multiplier?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 56 of 94, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I always liked the netburst architecture, I know it sucks and all, but it's fun to play around with. That aside I don't own a single p4. But I have a lot of sk604 Xeons

Edit.
Some late sk604 and p4 Mobos could unlock cpu multiples and let you lower them.

Reply 57 of 94, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Which processors have / don't have the option to lower the multiplier?

It seems the 600 series and higher supports this, but anything from the 500 series as well as Celeron D have a fixed multiplier?

All with SpeedStep/C1E support :
Pentium 4 6xx (lowest x14/x12*, no "x13").
*requires "cool" MB 😀

Here's a plot twist :
There are no "higher" Pentium 4's than 6xx series (Cedar Mill is 6x1 series and Pentium D doesn't have "4" in it 😜).

ALL other Pentium 4's can't do it, that includes :
Pentium 4 Extreme Editions (no unlocked multi or SpeedStep/C1E).
Pentium 4 5xx series
AND all PGA stuff as well.

PS. You are correct, all Celeron D's have locked multi.

PS #2. I don't see the point of Pentium 4 661, unless someone Really needs that high "x18" multiplier (which can help with some MB's, but it reduces FSB speed at the same frequency...), or just want's to have fastest Pentium 4 65nm (90nm are faster @stock tho 😁).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-11-07, 14:59. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 59 of 94, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would you want to collect Pentium 4s?

They are:
-not exactly rare (besides EEs)
-very hot
-inefficient

There is nothing they can do better in any way compared to a Pentium M / Core 2 cpu.
Can someone explain please? 😁