VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me it's always scope creep... I'm going thorough it now... I can add more RAM, more sound cards, faster CPU, a different video card... before you know it the project doesn't do what I originally intended.

Come hell or high water my current project will consist of Windows 98 SE, 512MB RAM, GeForce4, SB Live! and a Vortex2. Must resist GeForce 5900... GeForce 6800... Audigy2... more RAM... dual booting... 😉

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 74, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am going to wrap this topic up this summer by finishing and perfecting my existing builds.
Who knows? Maybe I will add another one? But for the the being it's nice to be finally ready to play games 😀

Reply 4 of 74, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

unexpected motherboard chipset failures/quirks that get in the way of basic file transfer and peripheral usage, but that's less of a "retro rig" and more of a "budget" problem of building a computer in the day

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 74, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The hardest part for me, is to source the components.
Mostly because I am concentrating on mid-80's to 2000/01.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 74, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the early days of my hobby I used to build set PCs, but the scope also constantly changes. So I don't put things into a case any-more, just put it together on a test bench so I can change stuff easily.

I just moved to a house and have more space, so now I will have a few dedicated computers. My DOS time machine was the first to get its own spot 😀 That one isn't going to change because I have done all the experimenting and testing already.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 74, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, for me it's sourcing components. I can't bring myself to buy retro motherboards and cases online because it's hard to know about damage until you actually test, and cases are just so expensive to ship. So I rely on finding parts, which is a very slow process. I will buy video and sound cards because they are relatively cheap with low shipping so not as big a deal if it ends up not working.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 74, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:

explaining myself and others my reasons

Screw what other people are saying. If they can't grasp what you are saying, then ignore what they say.
It's only a personal recreation, after all. So yeah. Why give a damn, what other has to say. 🤣

tikoellner wrote:

hiding with stuff and post packages from my wife

If you don't use too much money, then why hide stuff at all? 😉
If she by any chance, use a lot of money for stuff like shoes or bags or makeup or anything else.
Then tell her that you will be happy to cut down on the money you spend, if she cut's down on her's.
Better yet.... Make two bank accounts for each others hobby, or make two Paypal accounts. 😀
Don't hide stuff from her. Been there, done that, never again. I felt like a bad person. Never again.
Yeah... Being honest are the way to go. My woman do not understand this hobby, she just want
her man to be honest about money spending. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 74, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hiding packages from wife I can relate to. It's not about money, but space. My basement is already packed up to the ceiling in boxes with my stuff, and the missus always pushes me to "clean up" the place - but there's nothing to clean up; everything is organized and "cleaning up" can only mean getting rid of stuff. Which I don't want to do. Adding more stuff there is something that I prefer doing without much publicity for that reason.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 15 of 74, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hardest part: To find a reason. When I feel like fiddling with this stuff I take board, cards, etc from storage and fire them up on my 'test bench'. When done, the stuff goes back to storage.

I want to finish repairing/pimping this Pentium laptop some time though - will be the 'Terminal Velocity Computer'...

1+1=10

Reply 16 of 74, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1 - Sourcing some parts
2 - BIOS updates with floppy (i'm running out of them)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17 of 74, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) resisting the urge of hoarding

I'm into Pentium/MMX era, and once I've learnt how to get these parts cheaply or for free, I've been flooded by them. I now have 6 Socket 7 motherboards, a bunch of Pentiums, about 20 Soundblaster and clones, about 30 various videocards, etc. It happens because when people want to give away these parts for free, they usually want to give them in bulk. And it's not like a lot of my parts are unique or I could call it an actual collection.

Don't get me wrong — it's really useful to have a bunch of spare parts and be able to solve any compatibility issue without doing any extra shopping. One time I've even managed to find a spare LED for my case that wouldn't show HDD activity properly. But it does feel like hoarding. I often think about getting rid of extra parts, but then I think "what if something goes bad?"

2) constant rebuilding

Some of you have mentioned that: you always want to go better, faster, etc. With early Pentiums it's not too hard to go really high-end, though, so for me it's different. I'm more concerned with the look and feel of my system: finding a desktop-style AT case, an "authentic sounding" HDD. Right now I'm thinking about a new CRT — my only 17" Samsung 757DFX looks too modern and generic to me and I want something like a curved 14" Samsung 3NE or a 15" Sony Trinitron. For me, a "classic" DOS/early Windows PC should somewhat resemble the proportions of the original IBM 5150 where a smaller screen resides on top of a horizontal case. My computer should look like this, damn it! 🤣

mipc.gif

Now, I do play a lot of games on my systems, but it's nothing compared to the time I've spent fiddling with hardware.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 18 of 74, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me it depends on what parts you want to use. Some parts are hard to get so you might end up waiting years before one comes up for sale. That's why I always place a monetary value on my time spent waiting. I'd rather pay a little more for something now than wait another 5+ years for another one to turn up if it's rare. You could end up waiting your entire life for the next one only to have it never appear. So for me, waiting for those hard to find parts to turn up is the worst part.

Reply 19 of 74, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Old systems are flaky and fragile and once they work "well enough" you should leave them alone. The urge to constantly change things is more trouble than it's worth.

Is this too much voodoo?