Reply 21 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

One advantage of Thunderbird could be the pencil trick 😁

advantage? this just allows for dual cpu setup, no?

You can unlock the multipliers that way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 26, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Has anyone actually seen a Pentium 3 1400 non-S chip?
All of the ones I ever read or heard about, were the 512KB server variants.

Seems like any non-S P3 clocked above 1.2 ghz are rare, the only P3 non-S i have is the 1.2 Ghz model. Intel made multiple Tualatin P3s and Celerons during their lifetime

P3 (Tualatin 256/non-S):

P3-S:
1.0-S
1.13-S
1.26-S
1.4-S

Celeron (Tualatin 256):
1.0A
1.1A
1.5 (extremely rare)

Also there are a few references about a 1.53 GHz Pentium III-S mainly from HP and few other websites.

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 23 of 26, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I've found that Athlon and Athlon 64 systems on VIA chipsets often have some kind of performance issue that dramatically reduces GUI performance. I used Tom2D to compare VIA K8T800 and KT333 to nForce2 and the NV chipset blew the others away with the same video cards. It's most obvious when a full screen fill happens, like a minimized window going back to full screen. I think it is apparent with web browsing too. That might affect video as well.

3DNow is apparently at least somewhat useful for video decoding. People wrote 3DNow iDCT functions, for example. But yeah SSE is definitely useful. I had a P3 Katmai downclocked to 300MHz and it could still play DVDs in software without a problem.

There was a VIA PCi Latency Patch for some speed issues.

But I own a PIII-S1400 and next week I get a AMD Gedode NX 1750 (also 1400 mhz). This is also a nice benchmark, also because the P-III has 32.2 Watt TDP and the AMD has 25W.

Reply 24 of 26, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
mrau wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

One advantage of Thunderbird could be the pencil trick 😁

advantage? this just allows for dual cpu setup, no?

You can unlock the multipliers that way.

From what I see on this CPU, and reference images, the L1 cache lines are already connected 😀 Can it work with 11.5x (1.53GHz)?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 26 of 26, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I've found that Athlon and Athlon 64 systems on VIA chipsets often have some kind of performance issue that dramatically reduces GUI performance. I used Tom2D to compare VIA K8T800 and KT333 to nForce2 and the NV chipset blew the others away with the same video cards. It's most obvious when a full screen fill happens, like a minimized window going back to full screen. I think it is apparent with web browsing too. That might affect video as well.

3DNow is apparently at least somewhat useful for video decoding. People wrote 3DNow iDCT functions, for example. But yeah SSE is definitely useful. I had a P3 Katmai downclocked to 300MHz and it could still play DVDs in software without a problem.

Yeah, I've seen exactly what you're describing with VIA chipsetted boards. It's not limited to AMD systems. I've had VIA based PIII, P4, and even Core 2 boards with very slow 2D performance. Nothing more frustrating than watching a good CPU's performance go down the toilet because of a shit chipset. At least with faster systems like K8 or Core 2, you can use Windows 7 which does a really good job of hiding the slow 2D.

It's a minor miracle that my current PIII board, based on the Apollo Pro 266T, doesn't seem affected by the slow 2D bug, even with a 6800GT. With my previous PIII board (VIA 694T) I had to use ATI graphics because 2D was so slow with nVidia GPUs.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!