VOGONS

First post, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i have a soyo motherboard with intel i810 chipset and a mendocino celeron and i'm trying to get sound in real mode dos. So far i've tried a yamaha ymf-724 and a crystal cs4281 cards. None of them have worked.

The crystal card works very well under a windows dos box though and with a good sound quality, real mode works fine as well on a shuttle mvp3 board but i didn't get sound in windows there probably due to an screwed win 98 installation. I think this is an underrated card.
The yamaha was a complete disaster in windows, dos compatibility was awful and even crashed the system with some games. I got distorted sound and no midi in prboom so this card has problems with windows games as well. Moreover i've read that Doom doesn't work in real dos. I guess these cards have very poor quality drivers.

Since pc-pci is out of question and this chipset doesn't support ddma i wonder which sound card could i use. I have a sound blaster live value and i've read they don't require ddma but i'm sceptic about that. Should i try the live? I also have a sound blaster 64 pci but these have no fm synthesis so they are not adequate for dos games and dos drivers are pretty much the same anyway.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but my TUSL2-C (i815 chipset) can use a Sound Blaster Live in DOS. Since you've got the card already, you might as well give it a spin.

dondiego wrote:

Since pc-pci is out of question and this chipset doesn't support ddma i wonder which sound card could i use. I have a sound blaster live value and i've read they don't require ddma but i'm sceptic about that.

I understood pretty much all of these cards had the same strange requirements.

Reply 2 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without sblink you are going to have hell getting dos sound to work, this is why having native isa or sblink is so desirable. The 810 is better for 9x use anyway and pretty cheap when everything else has dried up.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are multiple choices for PCI soundcards. I recommend eighter Vortex2 or YMF-724.
Mostly because they are stereo cards. Vortex seems to be the best for pure Win98 from what I read.
YMF-724 has an OPL core build into the chip, and most of them have SB-Link/PC-Pci-Header.
SB-Live seems to be an ok choice, though it is not that great at stereo compared to the other two.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 11, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, no sb-link here. I forgot to mention i also tried loading the tsr with the yamaha but that didn't work either.

Jorpho wrote:

my TUSL2-C (i815 chipset) can use a Sound Blaster Live in DOS

OK i'll try the live then.

Edit: i've tried moving the crystal card to a different slot and now the irq is not shared, i've reserved irq 5 to legacy isa as well but still no luck (as expected).

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 5 of 11, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried the live but it doesn't work either, driver loads but system crashes as soon as i try to start a game. I guess the yamaha should work with the tsr (dsdma) now, i've reserved irq 5 to legacy isa and pci irq is not shared anymore, but i don't think it's worth due to poor windows drivers. Most dos games work under windows anyway.
So in the end i'll keep the crystal card installed.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 6 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe's he's having a hard time with driver installation under dos with different cards

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 7 of 11, by TritonII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also looking for a PCI sound card for my i810 based motherboard! If somebody could help me with that, it would be great.

It's an Aopen, and it does have an SB-Link port. Is it true that the i810 doesn't have DDMA? I've got a 815 and Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 that works in DOS with drivers, and I assumed that was because it supported DDMA, and surely those two chipsets would be very similar.

I know SB-Link is the easy way to get compatibility but it's so hard finding sound cards that have it. If anybody could recommend me a single card that can do in DOS Sound Blaster + General MIDI in a single card that would be excellent. I'd be happy to get another Sound Blaster Live! but I know there are cards out there with better quality. Better quality is very much desirable, but as a minimum just need something that works.

Reply 8 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Focus your search on Yamaha based PCI cards. Something like this offers similar DOS support to the YMF-71x series ISA cards (including a genuine Yamaha OPL3 core) when used with an SB-PCI capable motherboard.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/A301-G50-Yamaha-Gatewa … 7IAAOSwvg9XfyuB
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Labway-LWHA411G7-PCI-S … QIAAOSwMpZUoFfs

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 11, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound Blaster Live! will be good, when I tried that card with my Pentium IV build with GA-8IDX board I have good correct sound even in Commander Keen 4-6 and Wolfenstein 3D, and also in later games.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 10 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiger433 wrote:

Sound Blaster Live! will be good, when I tried that card with my Pentium IV build with GA-8IDX board I have good correct sound even in Commander Keen 4-6 and Wolfenstein 3D, and also in later games.

Are you shure it was a SB-Live? SB-Live sound's horrible when using Adlib in games.
Not just horrible... It sounds like, really bad.
Nope.... For a PCI card, were Adlib is a feature that are needed, then YMF-724 is
probably the best you can get. Unless there is another PCI card that has OPL-Core.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 11, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the end the ensoniq audio pci 3000 (aka SB PCI 64) worked. The dos drivers uploaded by Phil to vogonsdrivers were fake, those were creative drivers for ES1371. Also the win9x drivers for ES1370 are corrupt. I uploaded them here:
https://archive.org/details/es-1370-pci

RUDE (Doom)