VOGONS

First post, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I just recently joined here, but I've known VOGONS for a long time now, so I thought I'd make an account. 😀

So here's the thing. I just bought an ESS AudioDrive ES1898F from a guy on eBay, and (without thinking) purchased it before looking for drivers for it.

I typed in the usual "es1898f drivers" and "ess audiodrive es1898f driver download" into Google, but all I got were junk links. I also checked the VOGONS Driver library, but I couldn't find anything there.

So I was just wondering, do any of you have the drivers for this? The closest thing I found were drivers for the ES1898, but since I don't have the card yet, I can't test them out to see if they work.

Also, what OS(es) does this card work on?

Thanks in advance!

SuperMew98

Last edited by SuperMew98 on 2016-10-27, 02:37. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What OS are you trying to use it with? If you're using it in pure DOS it might work fine without any drivers at all, if it's SBPro compatible or something.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 15, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got my card in today, and here are the results:

I put it in my computer (a Compaq Presario 4716), fired it up, and now it won't even boot to DOS. I can't even enter the BIOS to see if I can configure it.

I've tried everything I can think of to get this card to work, such as:

• Removing all other cards (which are only two Parallel port cards and a dial-up modem card) and only using the sound card
    Changing slots
    Changing the address range in the BIOS when the card wasn't in there to a random address that wasn't conflicting with anything
    Cleaning the card's contacts with isopropyl alcohol

Also, another odd thing I noticed when attempting to boot with the card in the computer was that the floppy drive light was on, even when there wasn't a disk inside. Just out of curiosity I did put a disk inside, but it didn't even spin the disk.

Any thoughts?

Reply 8 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Listing tasks i would perform:

Check condition and presence of all components visually - Passed
Install card firmly - Passed
Disable PCI Delayed Transaction in BIOS (long shot) - Pending
Taking the Compaq out of the equation (i'm twisted. I like to build custom PC) - Pending

Reply 9 of 15, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My computer has this weird BIOS with a "user-friendly" (not) GUI, and I'm not actually sure how to disable the PCI Delayed Transaction in it. I'm not sure if I even can.
http://s31.postimg.org/ss7ew3kcb/IMG_5693.jpg

But, I did find something that may be helpful. When clicking the small button at the bottom of the screen, labeled "Add in Devices", I get this:
http://s31.postimg.org/8uwfq0v5n/IMG_5694.jpg

Then, if I go to ISA devices, I get this:
http://s31.postimg.org/yrv5zr54r/IMG_5695.jpg

I go to "Add" and I'm given this screen:
http://s31.postimg.org/6qh4m1zuj/IMG_5696.jpg

I tried inputing some random information (as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing), and as I expected, it didn't boot.

And, FYI, all of the above pictures were taken with the card out.

Reply 10 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neither do i.

Regarding "Add in Devices", it looks like CTCU.EXE, a program i have been using to change resources in my Creative cards.

I can see you have two sound cards. Try to disable onboard sound card or configure it to I/O 240 IRQ7 DMA1.

Reply 11 of 15, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I only have the AudioDrive and the onboard one ATM, but I'm getting closer!

I did get the card to work, and here are my steps:

1. Boot into the BIOS without the card and disable the onboard sound (Thanks Frasco!)
2. Insert ESS AudioDrive and boot (it actually booted this time!)
3. Test the sound card out on a supporting game, such as Rebel Moon for me
4. Reset the machine and boot into the BIOS
5. Save the predefined settings

I didn't even have to use any drivers!

The only problem is, well, as the first step said, now my onboard sound card is disabled. The AudioDrive is great, but my onboard card emulated a lot more cards. Another thing is that I am also getting a Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum in the mail soon, and that's intended to be in that computer too. Is it possible for me to have all of those enabled at the same time, or can I only use one at a time? I am willing to take out my other non-sound cards if it'll help.

Lastly, here are some pictures of my progress if it helps any:

Using the computer stats function, located elsewhere in the BIOS (funnily enough, it detects it as an ES1888)
https://s31.postimg.org/47jj8nn7f/IMG_1083.jpg

"Add in Devices", now updated by the computer
https://s31.postimg.org/uij4ym0cb/IMG_1086.jpg

Card appearing in the ISA window
https://s31.postimg.org/og6wudmij/IMG_1085.jpg

Selecting the "Configure" button on the card
https://s31.postimg.org/6g2b3qjp7/IMG_1088.jpg

Reply 12 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks ? The descent into madness just started.

You have to play 10 Hours of the Imperial March in the Audiodrive (for stability measure).
Then listen to A-team intro and Macgyver Intro.
Will occur. All 3 sound cards will work together. 😀

What is that you intend ? Comparison ? Oh yes - compatibility.
The PAS16 sports a Yamaha OPL3 chip (better than the Audiodrive in terms of originality)
The PAS16 emulates Sound Blaster. Maybe you want to deactivate that.

SuperMew98 wrote:

I tried inputing some random information (as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing), and as I expected, it didn't boot.

Have you undone that attempt?
IRQ 15 ? I think this is no good for DOS games . I believe you have to do the operation from start. You can call me paranoid if you want. 🤣

Thats it, man. Let's get that COMPAQ flying.
Let's find out if fiddling around with those options in BIOS we can get your cards up and running. I have the low-level driver here for PAS16).

What a coincidence. I have one PAS16 too, but know this, there are a lot of models - mine is Media Vision PAS16 LMSI.
I wish you good luck because mine is giving me the headaches (unbalanced - low volume from OPL3 and i can't control the mixer).

Reply 13 of 15, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

<<Prepare for a really long post>>

So I got my PAS in the mail today, and I didn't realize it was the PAS16 until installing the drivers. 😊

Anyway, with this card, I can actually boot up the computer, but it still seems a bit flaky. My programs tend to crash a lot more often than they did before.

Just for extra measure, I deleted the settings about the AudioDrive, and took it out while testing. Oddly enough, my PAS16 doesn't appear in the BIOS at all. Even the System Inspection dialogue still sees it as the AudioDrive. But it does work...by itself at least.

Frasco wrote:

You have to play 10 Hours of the Imperial March in the Audiodrive (for stability measure).
Then listen to A-team intro and Macgyver Intro.
Will occur. All 3 sound cards will work together. 😀

But what about the part where you feed a horse mac and cheese on Tuesday and then let it play Doom with a shoelace? 😁

Frasco wrote:

The PAS16 emulates Sound Blaster. Maybe you want to deactivate that.

I'm not at my DOS rig at the moment, but tomorrow I can check to see if there are any setup programs that were installed with the drivers so I can disable it. Yeah, it does get kinda annoying.

Frasco wrote:
SuperMew98 wrote:

Have you undone that attempt?

Yes. When I took the picture, I had previously cleared my attempt and the information you see is what the computer automatically set upon seeing the card.

Frasco wrote:

IRQ 15 ? I think this is no good for DOS games . I believe you have to do the operation from start. You can call me paranoid if you want. 🤣

Believe me, when it comes to computers, I am as paranoid as can be. 🤣
Now I'm not entirely sure on what settings I set to get the AudioDrive working with Rebel Moon, but the settings in the BIOS were the same as in the picture.

Frasco wrote:

What a coincidence. I have one PAS16 too, but know this, there are a lot of models - mine is Media Vision PAS16 LMSI.
I wish you good luck because mine is giving me the headaches (unbalanced - low volume from OPL3 and i can't control the mixer).

Mine says IXW-PAS16NS, and it also has unbalanced/low volume. I haven't looked at controlling the mixer yet though.

Another thing to mention is that my card has a whole bunch of jumpers on it, and there isn't any indication as to what they all do. I'll take some pictures of that too when I can.

And yet another thing to mention (that I should've said before) is that I also have an MT-32 that I intend on using with it as well. I've used it on my Compaq well before I had these cards and had no problem, so I'm hoping that I can still use it without issues. Still have to see what box it's in though...

Reply 14 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperMew98 wrote:

"My programs tend to crash a lot more often than they did before"

Which program ? Run memtest all the way. You can't continue messing around like this (you may blame a functional sound card or any peripheral).

Don't worry about PAS16 not being detected in BIOS. It's normal as the card is not PnP.
Don't worry about those PAS16 jumpers either, AFAIK they are for configuring the CD-ROM or SCSI interface.

SuperMew98 wrote:

But what about the part where you feed a horse mac and cheese on Tuesday and then let it play Doom with a shoelace? 😁.

And so, i didn't get what you said and i ended listening to the Denmark tune "Feed the horse" by Fagget Fairys and i am being punished since then. 😐
Look, i am not from USA or Europe. Be patient. *ashamed*
I am losing time, back to the quest...

SuperMew98 wrote:

I'm not at my DOS rig at the moment, but tomorrow I can check to see if there are any setup programs that were installed with the drivers so I can disable it. Yeah, it does get kinda annoying.

Yes, there is a setup program. From there you can set resources and test them. The default values don't conflict with the Audiodrive and that is a good thing.

PAS.EXE is the mixer. Here is a extract from Readme.txt:

To activate the PAS.EXE, run PAS * from the Media Vision Home directory.
Example:
C:\PROAUDIO>PAS *[hit enter]
You will then see the mixer screen. You can change each individual
volume control by using your arrow keys.

What a load of baloney!

SuperMew98 wrote:

And yet another thing to mention (that I should've said before) is that I also have an MT-32 that I intend on using with it as well...

MT-32 = best thing ever produced. I would never think there would be something better than Sound Blaster for DOS gaming. Yes, props to Vogons.

Huuum, i dont know if i can be of some help as i only use Roland internal cards.
I think external modules are less prone to conflict and they can be daisy-chained. That's what i heard.
We will see about that.

Reply 15 of 15, by SuperMew98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response, I got caught up in things.

Frasco wrote:
SuperMew98 wrote:

"My programs tend to crash a lot more often than they did before"

Which program ? Run memtest all the way.

The program I was using was Putt-Putt Joins the Parade. I think the reason it was crashing is because the game uses speech, and the IRQ I chose for the sound effects/speech was different from what the card was set at.

And I ran memtest, everything passed.

Frasco wrote:
SuperMew98 wrote:

But what about the part where you feed a horse mac and cheese on Tuesday and then let it play Doom with a shoelace? 😁.

And so, i didn't get what you said and i ended listening to the Denmark tune "Feed the horse" by Fagget Fairys and i am being punished since then. 😐

Oh dear, my sincerest apologies! I only said that because it's all random, kinda like what you said earlier about the A-Team intro and Imperial March stuff.

Frasco wrote:
SuperMew98 wrote:

And yet another thing to mention (that I should've said before) is that I also have an MT-32 that I intend on using with it as well...

I think external modules are less prone to conflict and they can be daisy-chained.

I found my MT-32 in a box in my closet, set it up, and it worked perfectly with the AudioDrive in there.

From this point, I'm deciding on just using my newly acquired Gravis UltraSound Classic instead (along with the integrated sound & the MT-32). That card is in currently my rig, and it's not giving me any problems.

Thank you all for your help. When I get another computer in the future that doesn't have any sound card in it, I throw one of those in there.