VOGONS

First post, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys,

Yesterday I aquired a Creative Soundblaster AWE 32 Value CT3910. I of course installed it in my PC and got it working well. 😀
Because of some unrelated MS DOS stuff I was trying, my HDD filesystem was damaged, so I had to completely reinstall Windows 98SE. 😢

Since reinstalling the system seems to hang or freeze at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. I know this is a common problem with Windows 98SE and tried several things to fix it.
I tried the Microsoft Shutdown fix, disabling startup programs, and another complete reinstall.
One of the possible contributing factors might be that I'm using Windows 98SE with ACPI and not APM. I installed it using the "setup /p j" command and not by changing the registry afterwards.
I use it because I have/had a dual boot Win2k partition and with my system configuration I would not get automatic shutdown in Win2k with APM.
It worked fine before so I doubt this is the culprit and if it is then only because of an incompatability with the AWE32.

If you guys have any ideas as to what is wrong and how to fix it I'd appreciate the help.

Here are the full system specs:

Motherboard: Supermicro P6DGU, Dual CPU, Intel 440GX Chipset
CPU: Two Intel Pentium III "Coppermine" 1GHz Slot 1, 100MHz FSB
RAM: Two 256MB sticks of PC133 SDRAM running at 100MHz
Primary Graphics: MSI Geforce2 Ti Pro-VT 64MB
Seconday Graphics: Two STB Blackmagic 3D 12MB (3dfx V2) in SLI
Primary Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Live!
Secondary Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster AWE32 Value CT3910
Networking: 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC
USB: USB 2.0 Card
HDD: 120GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm IDE HDD
Primary Disc Drive: NEC DVD Drive
Secondary Disc Drive: TX Jupiter CD-RW Drive
Primary Floppy Drive: 3,5' 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Secondary Floppy Drive: 3,5' 1.44MB Floppy Drive

If you want to see some pictures of the build when it was still working here's a thread I made about it.

Dual 1GHz Pentium III machine
700MHz Pentium III machine
550MHz PIII IBM 300PL
Socket 7 machine, CPU yet undecided
100MHz AMD 486DX4 machine

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hellistor wrote:

It worked fine before so I doubt this is the culprit and if it is then only because of an incompatability with the AWE32.

Why not just take out the AWE32 and make sure that is the case? Maybe you did something else different when you reinstalled Windows this time.

Reply 2 of 3, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I really want to use it but give me 20 minutes and I'll report back with the results

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL

Reply 3 of 3, by Hellistor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I removed the AWE32 and put the Vibra16 I had previously installed back in. It still hangs at the shutdown screen.

As far as I can tell I installed Win98 the same as I always do. I know the product key by heart by now.

I'm going try and remove all expansion cards besides video, maybe one of them is the cause.

UPDATE: Running only the Geforce2 Ti, the system shuts down without problems. I'm going to add cards one by one to try and isolate the problem.

FURTHER UPDATE: The system gave Windows protection errors when I put the Soundblaster Live! in. Since I know the card works I reinstalled Windows with only the Geforce2 Ti installed. I added all cards one after the other. It seems to work now!

I'm guessing that the Windows setup was somehow confused by the amount of expansion cards in the system and messed up during installation. Not enough to stop it from functioning but enough to cause it to hang on shutdown.

550MHz PIII IBM 300PL