P-III Tualatin 1.4GHz overclocking

Topic actions

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'm thinking on trying how far can I overclock a Tualatin-S 1.4GHz. I already have a few processors but no good motherboard. At the moment I have one QDI with i815 chipset and FSB goes "only" up to 166MHz. That gives top speed of 1743MHz. Not bad, but I want more 😁

I'd want high FSB and easy vcore setup. Google finds these boards to be good for OC:

Asus TUSL2-C
Abit ST6

What do you guys recommend?

Also what are some top overclocks on air? I'd like to get near 2GHz 😉 I know that's impossible as I have only PC133 SDRAMs, maybe I find PC150 somewhere...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 22, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I'm thinking on trying how far can I overclock a Tualatin-S 1.4GHz. I already have a few processors but no good motherboard. At the moment I have one QDI with i815 chipset and FSB goes "only" up to 166MHz. That gives top speed of 1743MHz. Not bad, but I want more 😁

I'd want high FSB and easy vcore setup. Google finds these boards to be good for OC:

Asus TUSL2-C
Abit ST6

What do you guys recommend?

Also what are some top overclocks on air? I'd like to get near 2GHz 😉 I know that's impossible as I have only PC133 SDRAMs, maybe I find PC150 somewhere...

For my experience best tualatin's motherboard are: ( for overclocking proupose)
Asus TUSL2-C
Abit ST6-Raid
GIGABYTE GA-6OXET
Epox EP-3PTA

Anyway even with a bad board (for overclocking) you will reach 150-160mhz easily, the most important thing is to find a good batch.
So if i were you, i would try to buy a SL6BY tB1 Philippines.
Lots of tA1 are bad, really bad!. you can push them even at 1.85v or higher but they will go with instability around 150-155mhz on air, no one mhz more.
SDRAM called PC-150 or PC-166 are bad, it's a marketing way (these frequency aren't JEDEC's standard).
Brands like TONICOM, Mushkin during 2000-2001 selled some of these SDRAM but they are simply CAS 3, you will pay more money for nothing. in my experience all memory are able to archieve this score (150-160mhz but they are simply PC-133 CAS 3.
I've tested more than 50 pieces of them if i were you, i would try to find:
Mosel vitelic V54C3256804VDI7PC (you can push them at 160-170mhz with 2-2-2-5/ at 180-190mhz with 2-3-2-5/ at 200mhz 3-3-3-7)

Hynix HY57V28820AT-K (you can push them at 160-170mhz with 2-2-2-5 or over 200mhz with 3-3-3-7)

Qimondq chips ( you can push them at 180-185mhz with 2-2-2-5 or over 200mhz with 2-2-2-7)

Reply 2 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for your information.

I have tested some cpus and I have two that reach 164MHz FSB on the default voltage (they are SL6BY but have no idea of what revision). This is only DOOM, Quake and Speedsys stable as I didn't install Windows XP yet. With QDI board I've set memory to 100MHz so with 164MHz FSB it should run at 131MHz (if my understanding is correct). I haven't yet increased the Vcore as QDI uses jumpers for Vcore change. But with MAX 166MHz FSB I don't see any point in testing this board further.

It will take a week or so for me to get TUSL2-C board.

Reply 3 of 22, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Cool" idea!
I have one 128MB DIMM with 6ns chips (PC166!) and another one that is rated PC150.
They work great! A while ago I had the same idea, same board, same cpu 😁 Let's battle! 😁

Reply 4 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

"Cool" idea!
I have one 128MB DIMM with 6ns chips (PC166!) and another one that is rated PC150.
They work great! A while ago I had the same idea, same board, same cpu 😁 Let's battle! 😁

Why not 😉

But 1st I have to get the motherboard and test all the SDRAM modules for best ones. Not sure if I have any faster then 7ns. It should be fun... I think 183x10.5 should be reachable 😁

Reply 7 of 22, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a good question, I don't remember as the picture was taken a long time ago (almost a year). It's my only tualatin board as well, and even then I had to do voltmods (you can see the datasheet for the IC in the background 😜).

Might have been 1.75v, I'm not entirely sure. I remember wanting to overvolt the NB too, but I didn't get around to it sadly.

Reply 8 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope to get a few P3 boards in the next week and only then I can try with OCing. I hope those two CPU samples will get near 2GHz.

Just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPtaELx7n0

It shows how far you can push FSB and memory won't get that high. I hope to get memory working around 150MHz which would get FSB at around 190MHz and CPU speed of more then 2GHz... not sure if this is even remotely possible.

Reply 9 of 22, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:
I hope to get a few P3 boards in the next week and only then I can try with OCing. I hope those two CPU samples will get near 2G […]
Show full quote

I hope to get a few P3 boards in the next week and only then I can try with OCing. I hope those two CPU samples will get near 2GHz.

Just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCPtaELx7n0

It shows how far you can push FSB and memory won't get that high. I hope to get memory working around 150MHz which would get FSB at around 190MHz and CPU speed of more then 2GHz... not sure if this is even remotely possible.

Well, the 1.4 from my experience is less OCable than the lower ones.. I ran a 1.2GHz Tualeron at 1.65GHz on a modded slotket + Abit BX6 without issues, the SL6BY had a hard time getting past 1.5 on the same configuration.

Reply 11 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Both the TUSL2-C and ST6 are good clockers.
The tusl2-c would be a simpler and easier motherboard for overclocking. But the st6 would be just as good if not better in the right hands, but I can't recommend it for most people if you goal is overclocking as abit boards are not for beginners if your going for big clocks.

2ghz is more the doable with the right cooling and mobo. If your going to use air cooling youll need a good socket A heat sink. But your need strong ram too. Ram will be the biggest set back. Most sdr ram tops out around 160mhz.

And wile on the topic take a look at this!
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=420005

Reply 12 of 22, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is not air cooled 😉
Anyway this type of example is useless.
There are Extreme situation, not dayle use overclock.
I Know gradus he spent an unbelievable amount of hours and lots of money (more than 200 sdram stick) to reach these types of scores. ( made with extreme cooling).

Reply 13 of 22, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stermy57 wrote:

I Know gradus he spent an unbelievable amount of hours and lots of money (more than 200 sdram stick) to reach these types of scores. ( made with extreme cooling).

Wau... very dedication ... much sophisticate

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 14 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I used to run a 1.4ghz piii-s at 2.1ghz for the longest time on my daily system. I used liquid cooling for the cpu witch is far from extreme today.

Speeds over 2ghz can definitely be done without extreme cooling. Ram will always be your main holdback. But all you need to do is look up ram on a site like eBay and your find ram that can handle upwords of 200mhz if you know what to look for.
I spent 8$ on two 512 sticks of ram that can do 166mhz at 3-2-2 and 175 at 3-3-3. Just look up the specks of the ram chips and your get an idea of what it can do. Over 200mhz on sdr ram is where you will have to start binning. But sdr is cheep.

Heck I have a 750mhz piii I run with stock cooling at 1.2ghz. Extreme cooling is not needed for piii for extreme overclocks.

Reply 16 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Stermy57 wrote:
You need a good batch like always ;) 2.1ghz stable? I don't think so... 2.1ghz is different to 2.4ghz... you don't need sdr binn […]
Show full quote

You need a good batch like always 😉
2.1ghz stable? I don't think so...
2.1ghz is different to 2.4ghz...
you don't need sdr binning... Read my 2 last posts.

It was more then stable. I used the system for a few years before upgrading to with a 775 system. And with sk370 and sdr you don't need to bin anything. Atlest not anymore as any good overclocker should know witch batches clock better and witch don't. Since Hwbot become so popular extreme over clocking does not need binning like it used too. Witch batches over clock best is known by a lot of members over on hwbot. That and you can make a want add for pre tested hardware. Wile it's true 2.1ghz and 2.4ghz are far aways apart and I can't see anything over 2.2ghz every being stable to the point it could be used in a daily system. but with sdr ram with bga chips can make 2.4ghz easy to reach but good luck tracking thorse Down. But I find that the 815 chipset itself craps out around 210fsb with regards to stability. So yeah 2.1ghz is about the best tour ever get.

I did not bin anything and broke the record for the best 750mhz piii over clock. And I'm sure I could do the same with the right hardware with a 1.4ghz piii too.

Reply 17 of 22, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a differrent way of thinking about overclocking...
If you have reached 2.1ghz with liquid cooling that's good for you but in my experience it's too high.
To archieve this frequency is necessary SS cooling.
BGA sdr are bad and Intel 815 is able to run well over 210mhz
If you will show to us your super Pentium Tualatin@2.1 stable in liquid cooling, i will be happy.
But for now sorry but i can't believe it.
Tualatin's core love cold, air or liquid cooling are the same around 1.85v or higher... Around 40-45 degrees Coppermine and Tualatin start to loose overclocking ‎efficiency.

Reply 18 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about PCI and AGP frequences when overclocking? I can see PCI bus increasing with OC, but how that effects AGP bus? What would be good VGA cards for OCing?

Reply 19 of 22, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

What about PCI and AGP frequences when overclocking? I can see PCI bus increasing with OC, but how that effects AGP bus? What would be good VGA cards for OCing?

There aren't PCI fix so PCI and AGP frequency will go over default frequency.
I have more than 80 agp cards and i spent hours during my 370's benchmarks in my experience ATI Rage 128 & GeForce 4 MX 440 are in general good agp cards; i was able to archieve over 120mhz in AGP frequency 😉