VOGONS

Was Win95B the best version?

Topic actions

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 95C had the IE4 update which caused system instability by updating system files with versions not 100% compatible. Was Windows 95B the best?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 44, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can still install Windows 95C and just skip the IE4 update when the computer reboots after the initial installation.
Although, apart from some bug fixes and the IE4 update, there probably isn't such a huge difference between the two releases.

Just take note that there were actually two releases of Windows 95B, namely OEM SR2.0 & OEM SR2.1. The latter comes with USB & AGP support as part of the release (there was a USB supplement released for the former).

Reply 2 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How can I stop the IE4 update? I'm tired of the bugginess it caused. All I want is my retro computers to work. Please tell.

Reply 3 of 44, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been a while since I've installed Windows 95 OSR2.5, but the IE4 update will automatically launch upon the last reboot of your initial Windows 95 installation.

You should be able to just cancel it. If you can't, just Ctrl+Alt+ Del, end the setup program that is running and reboot.

Alternatively, just let it install the update and then uninstall IE4 via the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel - refer https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/175610.

Reply 4 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

It's been a while since I've installed Windows 95 OSR2.5, but the IE4 update will automatically launch upon the last reboot of your initial Windows 95 installation.

You should be able to just cancel it. If you can't, just Ctrl+Alt+ Del, end the setup program that is running and reboot.

Alternatively, just let it install the update and then uninstall IE4 via the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel - refer https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/175610.

I just re-installed my PII 450 with 95C and as soon as the machine booted after the install I saw the IE4 installer. I pressed next and it had the list of Active channel location selection. I pressed back but you couldn’t. (Sign of sketchy software) So instead of installing the update, I simply pressed CTRL-ALT-DELETE two times. That restarted the computer and once the desktop loaded itself, viola! No IE4 installer or Active Desktop!! I navigated through the "programs" menu from the START button and clicked on IE from there, but fortunately only IE3 opened up! Wooohooo!! A revolution in my computer collection! You have NO idea how much this means to me! 😀 Kudos!!

Is there anything else I need to know about this? Will my system work trouble free with only IE3? Will any other programs I later install try to get IE4 on the system (possibly background install) or will the program bug up because it sees Win95C with only IE3? Thanks again.

Reply 5 of 44, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you're planning on browsing the internet (which I would not recommend with any version of IE that still runs on any Win9x version), it shouldn't make any difference.
As far as I'm aware, Windows 95 specific applications are not dependent on having IE installed and I'm also now aware of any applications that will force you to install the IE4 desktop update.
DirectX will be required for certain Windows 95 based games, but you will see this if you try and launch an application (game) that requires DirectX to be installed.

However, on a PII 450, Windows 98SE with the unofficial Service Pack 2.1a runs just as well (provided you have at least 64 MB of RAM for optimal performance) - you are, however, then stuck with the Desktop Update, since it is integrated into Windows 98.
The reason why I recommend version 2.1a, is because later versions includes enhancements or updates that are not really required.

Windows 98 also has much better USB support than Windows 95 (apart from some other enhancements).
To have full USB support in Windows 98 (for removable drives), you can just install the USB stack from one of the version 3.3x Unofficial Service Packs (just open up the compressed file in 7-zip, copy out the USBstack file and run it).

Reply 6 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, there is not much reason to choose Win95 over Win98. You can actually get rid of IE entirely in Win98 by using 98lite, but the full version of that still costs money.

I think one of the big things included with IE4 is the Common Controls Update, but that is downloadable separately and is surely included with any unofficial update package.

Reply 7 of 44, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If anything insists on IE4, just install IE 5 or 5.5, no desktop update but the latest version of IE for 95 is installed.

Reply 8 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
Unless you're planning on browsing the internet (which I would not recommend with any version of IE that still runs on any Win9x […]
Show full quote

Unless you're planning on browsing the internet (which I would not recommend with any version of IE that still runs on any Win9x version), it shouldn't make any difference.
As far as I'm aware, Windows 95 specific applications are not dependent on having IE installed and I'm also now aware of any applications that will force you to install the IE4 desktop update.
DirectX will be required for certain Windows 95 based games, but you will see this if you try and launch an application (game) that requires DirectX to be installed.

However, on a PII 450, Windows 98SE with the unofficial Service Pack 2.1a runs just as well (provided you have at least 64 MB of RAM for optimal performance) - you are, however, then stuck with the Desktop Update, since it is integrated into Windows 98.
The reason why I recommend version 2.1a, is because later versions includes enhancements or updates that are not really required.

Windows 98 also has much better USB support than Windows 95 (apart from some other enhancements).
To have full USB support in Windows 98 (for removable drives), you can just install the USB stack from one of the version 3.3x Unofficial Service Packs (just open up the compressed file in 7-zip, copy out the USBstack file and run it).

I've had unbearable levels of unpredictable bugs with Windows 98. I no longer use it.

Reply 9 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

Yes, there is not much reason to choose Win95 over Win98. You can actually get rid of IE entirely in Win98 by using 98lite, but the full version of that still costs money.

I think one of the big things included with IE4 is the Common Controls Update, but that is downloadable separately and is surely included with any unofficial update package.

I prefer to use the real deal OS. I've found that by installing things like "Win98SE Unofficial Service pack 3.3" has a chance of making the OS even buggier. But is it possible to remove IE4 from win98 and put IE3 in it's place? That might fix a good chunk of the bugs with the OS, because ever since I bypassed IE4 on my PII 450 win95C machine, my system seems faster and more stable.

The weblink in my signature explains more reasons and details in why I despise win98 so much and now use win95 instead.

Reply 10 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

I prefer to use the real deal OS.

Well, if it comes down to preference, then it doesn't really matter whether or not something is the "best" version, does it?

I've found that by installing things like "Win98SE Unofficial Service pack 3.0" has a chance of making the OS even buggier.

So don't do that?

But is it possible to remove IE4 from win98 and put IE3 in it's place?

That is the purpose of 98lite, yes. I don't know if you can necessarily install IE3 after you get rid of IE4, but there's really no point whatsoever to having IE3 around.

because ever since I bypassed IE4 on my PII 450 win95C machine, my system seems faster and more stable.

So, like, since yesterday..?

There is definitely a bug in Windows 98 with IE6 which can cause Explorer windows to start freezing up, but last time I checked it is easily fixed by downgrading one file to its older IE5.5 equivalent.
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

Reply 11 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Well, if it comes down to preference, then it doesn't really matter whether or not something is the "best" version, does it? […]
Show full quote
computergeek92 wrote:

I prefer to use the real deal OS.

Well, if it comes down to preference, then it doesn't really matter whether or not something is the "best" version, does it?

I've found that by installing things like "Win98SE Unofficial Service pack 3.0" has a chance of making the OS even buggier.

So don't do that?

But is it possible to remove IE4 from win98 and put IE3 in it's place?

That is the purpose of 98lite, yes. I don't know if you can necessarily install IE3 after you get rid of IE4, but there's really no point whatsoever to having IE3 around.

because ever since I bypassed IE4 on my PII 450 win95C machine, my system seems faster and more stable.

So, like, since yesterday..?

There is definitely a bug in Windows 98 with IE6 which can cause Explorer windows to start freezing up, but last time I checked it is easily fixed by downgrading one file to its older IE5.5 equivalent.
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

I don't make sense all the time, OK.... Mr. Jorpho.

🤣 🤣 🤣

Sorry if I don't choose the right words, but i'm just saying it from experience, that with win98, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I just don't tweak it anymore. But if downgrading IE will help win98, then I may want to use it again. There is a point to have some version of IE on win9x. Some software uses html to load readme files for example and also I was meaning that from comparing win95c with or without IE4 I can already see a difference.

Reply 12 of 44, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then another browser would solve that (e.g. Firefox 2). Anything but jurassic IE.

The thing is that using Win95a/b/c gains nothing over 98SE as far as being bug-free or hassle-free.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 44, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking from personal experience, I also used Windows 95 (only from around early 1997) and had various stability issues with it (probably because I was still using some of the earlier releases) - I actually recall one day asking an IT buddy of mine (out of frustration) which version of Windows 95 was the best to use and his short and sweet answer was "the latest version".

I didn't use Windows 95 that long, since Windows 98 was released about a year later and I upgraded to Windows 98FE (later upgrading to 98SE in 1999). I used Windows 98SE up to around late 2002, after which I upgraded to Windows XP.
Subsequently, I've used Windows 98SE on all my retro PC's from Pentium 1 right up to Pentium III PC's and I've found it a very nice OS to use for that era of hardware.

I don't think that all the problems you've experienced could be attributed to the Desktop Update or later versions of IE.
It's possible that the issues you've experienced with Windows 95 or 98SE is not necessarily just due to software bugs, but could be a combination of hardware and software bugs.

A good example of software bugs would be buggy drivers (sound card, motherbard or video card) - it might run fine with Windows 95, but a later revision of the driver (for Windows 98) could have caused crashes, instability, etc.
One thing that comes to mind - since you are running on a Pentium II 450, make sure you install the updated chipset drivers for your motherboard, since Windows 95 could likely still be using the default drivers, which will hamper performance and could also cause stability issues.

From a hardware perspective, it's possible that you could have faulty memory, which doesn't always show up, until you do a specific thing on Windows - in this case, running some diagnostic utilities could help you identify if there is a hardware related problem.
However, since I don't know what issues/problems you've experienced with your Windows versions, I'm purely speculating.

I also use Windows 95, but only for my 486 based retro PC's (since Windows 98SE runs too slow) and then it's only because it makes my life easier to copy and move files, create and delete folders, etc. and not to play Windows games on it (for that I use a faster PC and Windows 98SE).

But, if you feel more comfortable with using Windows 95, then that is your prerogative.
From a retro gaming perspective, if Windows 95 works better for you, then go for it.

Reply 14 of 44, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep a 486 machine with vanilla W95a for old times sake, and 2 other Pentium rigs with W95c. Just the performance tweaks IE and IE core from the Unofficial SPs, USB updates and Desktop Update (for USB, mouse wheel, all CAPs folder names and various other helpful folder/Explorer options. 2 other rigs run W98SE. None are used for browsing or used heavily, but I don't "feel" W95 is any more buggy or unstable than W98SE. I actually like the Spartan feel of W95 and have grown fond of it. I recall disliking it back in the day but it feels like a real champ now.

I'd say W95c is the best if you do a selective Unofficial SP update as others have described above. I install Acronis 8 at first opportunity and save images at various stages of installation, updating and tweaking. That way you can very quickly roll back in the event you're not pleased with a particular update, SP component, tweak etc., without having to fresh install each time.

Good hunting...

Reply 15 of 44, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always had no real problems with Win98SE. Ran it on quite a few systems, from my AMD 586 all the way through to late pentium III's and it just works soooo well 😀

For anything older than the AMD 586, it boils down to how adventurous I feel. a 486DX266 will run Windows 95B quite well imho, but for what I am not certain.

Reply 16 of 44, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Arguably Win95's best feature was developed by Brian Eno... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0
... who, of course, didn't (doesn't?) like PCs at all.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 17 of 44, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

Arguably Win95's best feature was developed by Brian Eno... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0
... who, of course, didn't (doesn't?) like PCs at all.

One of my favorite boot sounds! Reminds me of my first computer I can remember from photos, a Pentium 1 AST Advantage. Hey um, brief off topic question: Is it possible to use image editing software to restore the old picture from 1998 of me and my computer so I can be able to read the model number on the front of the tower? Thanks.

Reply 18 of 44, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:

... a 486DX266 will run Windows 95B quite well imho, but for what I am not certain.

It does, and CPU cycle limited games often run best on a 486 Dx/66 or 100. That's what I use mine for. Even if these sorts of games are dos based, the W95 front end handles them well.

Reply 19 of 44, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

Hey um, brief off topic question: Is it possible to use image editing software to restore the old picture from 1998 of me and my computer so I can be able to read the model number on the front of the tower? Thanks.

You mean you want to zoom in and enhance?

No, it is not possible.