VOGONS

First post, by Perro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have a Amstrad Mega PC, but I have not the original dual-sync monitor. therefore, I can not see the part of megadrive (15 khz) on a PC monitor (31 khz). I have tried several multysinc (benq) monitors that work on Amiga 15 khz with your adapter. but they do not work in mega pc. Is there anyone who has a pc mega and has managed to make it work on another monitor? what model?

Reply 4 of 4, by Dioxaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please excuse the necrobumping but I have a very interesting info regarding Mega PC owners who lost or don't have their original Amstrad monitor anymore (the exact model is PC14DSM).

If you wish to use any kind of monitor (CRT VGA or SVGA, a regular LCD monitor, etc.), I found a device that works pretty nicely with the Mega PC. It's a line-doubler called ACV-011 and it's made by company Wei-Ya. After trying it, it's definitely a much better indicated choice than the rather disappointing Gonbes 82xx units. You can order it for $50 on Sintron (edit: now $65 as of June 2018 -- but it might take a while to ship and arrive at your home): https://www.sintron.co.uk/products/7-pcs-wei- … nverter-acv-011

While it's not totally perfect, it does a pretty good job at line-doubling the picture to the point that it almost looks like it would come from an emulator, with no deinterlacing artefact. PIcture runs at a rock steady 60fps. The syncs of the Mega PC (Mega Drive part) still give problems though and there's some distortion at the top after after selecting setting 14 (OOXO) on dip switches. I guess the syncs coming out of the Sega 315 chip are slightly out of spec and the pulses are probably too long. The best part is that it's completely lag-free. The sensations are almost identical to playing with the original monitor.

I wrote more info (including 2 nice photos) on this Reddit CRTgaming thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/7 … _ya_acv011_win/

There might be some better older line-doublers but I couldn't find any info on them. The ACV-011 was the best I could find that's still in production at relatively affordable price.

Note: I switched my Mega PC to 60Hz prior to using the ACV-011 (because of the previous upscaling devices I tried to use) so I didn't test it in its original 50Hz yet. But I bet it will also work flawlessly in 50Hz too (it's mentioned as supported according the ACV-011's manual). Also, it might be possible to get CSYNC out of the Mega PC, as the Sega 315 chip does has the pin for it.

Edit: The ACV-011 does support 50Hz indeed, as I undertook to region-mod this Mega-PC in the meantime so I could switch it back to EUR/50Hz if needed. However, OOXO setting on the ACV-011 works but doesn't provide enough active lines (picture truncated at the bottom) so you have to use OOOX setting (or setting 15 on the booklet) to have enough active lines for PAL games. The picture might even look better but I'm not sure (last time I used that setting I got no distortion at the top but I remember having distortions on earlier attempts). However, if the picture looks fine in 50Hz with setting 15, there are random short picture drop-outs which can be really annoying. That's why I prefer keeping in US/60Hz configuration for the moment with setting 14, as I get no drop-outs at all (if not lazy, I'll try cleaning the syncs).

Could it be connected vía SCART to a TV?

Indeed it can, after combing the syncs to create a CSYNC signal (many devices do that including Extron RGB boxes and the UMSA). This is how I was using mine, before moving out.

My Amstrad Mega PC personal archive.