VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to have amassed a little collection of these things.

tiny-memory-cards.jpg
Filename
tiny-memory-cards.jpg
File size
213.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I was going to put a zip disk in and write "it takes this many memory cards' worth of data to fill up one floppy disk", but that is actually more than a 250MB zip disk can hold (and I don't have a 750.) So have a 1GB Jaz cart instead.

Just thought this was funny. I'm trying to imagine what that 8MB CF would have been useful for. Even a really early digital camera would fill that up awfully quick. (It's currently the "hard drive" of my TI-99/4a.)

Can anyone "bottom" 8MB? Post yours!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 15, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first Kodak camera from around 2000, used an 8mb card. I could take something like 30 pictures.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still use the 16 MB SD card that came with my first Canon digital camera from around 2005 (3.1 MP). I use it in my Palm Treo 650 to store the Palm version of a dictionary program. I don't need the space for anything else and I won't miss the card too much if it goes missing.

I refuse to give up my sweet, sweet Treo. Still works as a phone on 2G networks, too!

Reply 4 of 15, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I was in high school (2000-2004) we had an outdated but still very useful Sony digital camera that used 1.44MB floppies and it worked fine. 8MB of flash memory at that time would have seemed like space age technology.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mavica, perhaps ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 15, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I used one of those in ~2001ish with a floppy-disk-shaped adapter for Sony memory sticks. I.e. you put the memory stick in a 3.5" disk "caddy" and stuck it in the camera's floppy drive. You could also read it in a PC drive with a special driver installed IIRC. Now that I think about it that would have been a 16 or 32MB stick; don't remember how many pictures it held, but it was less than a roll of film.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 15, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I agree, I have one of the floppy Mavicas and you can take a good amount of okay looking photo on one 1.44MB IBM floppy. 🤣 8MB on the other hand would be a huge step up.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 8 of 15, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SmartMedia and the damn silver/blue FlashPath floppy thing anyone? 🤣 I do have an Olympus-branded 4MB SmartMedia card somewhere around, it's for (/from? I think it was included with this) an old Camedia DSLR. The C1400L if my memory serves me well... A whopping 1 megapixel and a half or so, and it won't take cards larger than 16mb I think. SmartDisk's flash storage solution was also used on the Roland JP-8080 (an awesome synth).

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 9 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 8MB CF card, and a few 16MB ones. Used them in the past with my Handspring Visor Prism, with a Springboard MemPlugCF adapter. Unfortunately the Visor stopped working quite a few years ago (Yes I still have it, I'm a pack rat). You could fit quite a few ebooks in compressed format on one of those cards. I was using the Visor mainly as an ebook reader - way before the terms "ebook" and "ebook reader" were invented.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 15, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32MB CF that came with a Nikon circa 2006 ... today it's still enough for one 36mp JPEG Fine file plus one more shot in JPEG Basic at least. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12 of 15, by Ze_ro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably cheating, but here's the smallest memory cards I have (though certainly not by *physical* size!)

portfolio-cards.jpg
Filename
portfolio-cards.jpg
File size
185.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If we're just talking mainstream card types, the smallest I have is probably the 16MB CF card I'm using as an Apple II hard drive. The 256MB SD card pictured above is actually serving duty in a Palm Pilot. Larger capacities didn't work so well there, and the 256MB card is plenty for it.

At one point, my father had a digital camera that actually used floppy disks to store the pictures. I don't remember how much it held or what the specs were, but everything came with boatloads of jpeg artifacting.

--Zero

Reply 13 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if we're talking console memory cards, then the smallest ones I have are a few Dreamcast VMUs, which have 128kB flash each. 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMU

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife had an 8Mb USB pendrive. It should be somewhere at home, but...

I've got a 32Mb MMC and a 32Mb CF card. Both were shipped with Canon cameras. The CF card came with a 4 mpx camera, but the MMC card came with a 8mpx camera... it could store about 24 pictures, the sale as old time film cartridges!

I also had a 32Mb USB pendrive, but it failed some months after I drove my car above it. The smallest pendrive I currently own is a 128Mb one. It has a bootable DOS, and I use it for BIOS updates.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!