VOGONS

Best Super Socket 7 Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 164 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Motherboard arrived yesterday! The Asus P5A! I chose it because it is essentially the GA-5AX that I wanted. Same chipset, same expansion capabilities, same everything. I'll post pics tomorrow!

Reply 165 of 189, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great choice, simply love those boards. If you want the very best overclocker: GA-5AX.
Otherwise the P5A is just as good and a great board.

Which revision is it? If you ever want to use an amd k6-2+ or k6-3+ (+ = mobile version) remember that only rev. 103 and 1.04 can run them.

Normal (non plus) amd cpu's run fine on any revision. 1.05 and 1.06 use the newer chipset revision. Same story for P5A-B.

1.03 and 1.04 : amd K6 ''+'' cpu support. only 128mb cacheable ram.

1.05 and 1.06 : no support for amd K6 ''+'' cpu (runs VERY slow with them). cacheable ram 512mb.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 168 of 189, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a winner of a board. I too have the same board and revision. So go grab a K6-3+ and give it a whirl. It's a bit cramped on space for the heatsink, so it it came with one, then just use it. The + series ran cooler than previous series, so the heatsink for the old K6-2 should be plenty fine.

Reply 169 of 189, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Great choice, simply love those boards. If you want the very best overclocker: GA-5AX. Otherwise the P5A is just as good and a […]
Show full quote

Great choice, simply love those boards. If you want the very best overclocker: GA-5AX.
Otherwise the P5A is just as good and a great board.

Which revision is it? If you ever want to use an amd k6-2+ or k6-3+ (+ = mobile version) remember that only rev. 103 and 1.04 can run them.

Normal (non plus) amd cpu's run fine on any revision. 1.05 and 1.06 use the newer chipset revision. Same story for P5A-B.

1.03 and 1.04 : amd K6 ''+'' cpu support. only 128mb cacheable ram.

1.05 and 1.06 : no support for amd K6 ''+'' cpu (runs VERY slow with them). cacheable ram 512mb.

Cachable RAM only affects the onboard cache on the motherboard, you can still disable the external cache if you have a K6-III or any of the + models since they have on-die L2 cache runing at full CPU clock

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 171 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright! The build has begun!
The motherboard is in, as is the graphics card!
The only problem I had was with the I/O shield. It wouldn't fit. It almost seems too big for the cutout in the case, which is a standard ATX case. Any ideas?

Reply 172 of 189, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trim it up with a dremel if it is larger than standard. I had to do that to one out of an IBM Aptiva.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 174 of 189, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATX is ATX, so it should fit. I've found a few shields that were very problematic over the years. I'd consider going without it, if it means attacking the case.

Reply 176 of 189, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The main reason for the shield is to prevent RF leakage from interfering with other devices. Never in my life have I ever encountered anything that was affected from RF generated by PC. Besides the appearance, the shield does little else. Yeah, it helps direct airflow, and provides a stronger grounding point. But both of those benefits are very minor. The single biggest downside to not installing it is the cosmetics. So don't worry about it, and get that rig up and going. Good luck with the build.

Reply 179 of 189, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OMG! Many years ago, I worked on an old file server at a law office, and there was a dead ( and quite rotted) field mouse laying in the bottom. I swear there was no way for it to get into the case, and clearly it couldn't get out. I can only assume it got it when it was built at Dell, and just got trapped.