Best Slot 1 Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 148, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I live in Denver, there is NO water around of any significant size. Sharks would be so very expensive to maintain.

You'd think so, but Denver is the only place in the world where I was able to eat an alligator steak. (true story)

Those alligators must live *somewhere*, man.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 102 of 148, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So then you could keep your sharks there. Problem solved.

Personally I keep mine in the Long Island Sound. Convenient access, and cuts down on feeding costs. Plus helps control the population of sunbathers. Those beaches were pretty crowded before. Oceanfront property is more affordable too as an added bonus. 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 103 of 148, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My recommendation would be 440BX -> Asus P2B, Asus P3B-F. Unbeatable stability!
I also like the Apollo133A! --> AGP4x, 2GB max mem (or more?), UDMA 66 - good features!

@luckybob
Boulder is a great place!

archsan wrote:
My advice: take it slow, read a lot of magazines/articles from the era and research a lot. (I'd suggest Google Book's Maximum P […]
Show full quote
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Looking for a motherboard with two AGP slots

My advice: take it slow, read a lot of magazines/articles from the era and research a lot.
(I'd suggest Google Book's Maximum PC and PC Magz archives, Computer Gaming World archive, and tomshardware)

Then please let me know if you ever find the above! 😀

friend-telling-old-joke_o_1091733.jpg

K7Upgrade-600%28L1%29.jpg

PS: I am aware why there are two AGPs on this board 😁

Reply 104 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but only ONE works at a time. If i recall properly, that is one of those Frankenstein boards that can take 2 totally different cpu's. The orange cpu slot will disable the right agp slot and turn on the left.

Also, fuck Boulder. Place is full of those damned hippies and hipsters.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 106 of 148, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JACKPOT!!!

One of those ASRock Frankenstein Edition boards... 😁 Ooops luckybob you stole my sentence!

Now if only you could fit those Obsidian2 AGP cards the right way. 🤣

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 107 of 148, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

but only ONE works at a time. If i recall properly, that is one of those Frankenstein boards that can take 2 totally different cpu's. The orange cpu slot will disable the right agp slot and turn on the left.

Also, fuck Boulder. Place is full of those damned hippies and hipsters.

Well I haven't been there the last 6 years! I wonder how much has changed.

Reply 108 of 148, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a dual AGP board for you. Unfortunately, it went unreleased:
This one time at a PC convention, Micron demonstrated a motherboard chipset that permitted dual AGP ports: Micron SamuraiDDR. IIRC the board with that particular featureset was called Micron Madison.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20 … 131/pform04.htm
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/tpu … -3#post-1764896

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 110 of 148, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
Here's a dual AGP board for you. Unfortunately, it went unreleased: This one time at a PC convention, Micron demonstrated a moth […]
Show full quote

Here's a dual AGP board for you. Unfortunately, it went unreleased:
This one time at a PC convention, Micron demonstrated a motherboard chipset that permitted dual AGP ports: Micron SamuraiDDR. IIRC the board with that particular featureset was called Micron Madison.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20 … 131/pform04.htm
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/tpu … -3#post-1764896

Alright, this one I've never known before. 😊

However, from what I understand that design (the Madison dual slot 2 one) would have used two North Bridge chipsets, which would separate the two AGP (i.e. not in the same.. uh, bus -- I know, "AGP is not a bus, AGP is not a bus, AGP is not a bus..."). I wonder what the intended use cases were.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 111 of 148, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

However, from what I understand that design (the Madison dual slot 2 one) would have used two North Bridge chipsets, which would separate the two AGP (i.e. not in the same.. uh, bus -- I know, "AGP is not a bus, AGP is not a bus, AGP is not a bus..."). I wonder what the intended use cases were.

my guess was "multi-monitor without compromising by reverting to PCI" but IDK for sure. Someday I'd like the real story on it. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 112 of 148, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The best Slot 1 motherboard (and PC) I ever owned was a Dell Optiplex something or other back in the late 90's. They were huge dual slot 1 server beasts (I had 3 of them) and each came equipped with dual 550Mhz Pentium III's (upgradable, but I never did or needed to), 512MB SD RAM, an AGP slot and around 5 PCI slots. The motherboards were huge and full of features. They had onboard SCSI controllers and each machine I had came with two Quantum Fireball 8GB SCSI drives, as well as a floppy drive and plenty of space for more hard disks. There was also a separate SCSI card in one of the PCI slots for extra drives and the onboard sound was some 32-bit Crystal Audio which sounded really nice, even compared to my Aureal Vortex in my main gaming rig.

The case opened out sideways like the door of a Ferrari and getting to the board and hardware was a piece of cake. They weighed a ton but were practically silent when running. Each machine I got had a Diamond Viper 770 (which I think was a TNT2 Ultra but I was never sure). I ended up giving one to my brother so he could make the jump to PC gaming, sold one to a guy in the local classifieds and kept one for well over a year. I ran it under Windows 2000 and threw a couple of VooDoo 2's in there for SLI Glide games.

I cannot remember the model number now, but I saw one (exactly the same but with a single 733Mhz Pentium III installed and a terminator card in the unoccupied second CPU slot) on eBay for £70. It was in perfect condition too. I made the guy an offer on it but he refused. This was only a year ago so they are still kicking about from time to time.

I'd advise going top end server grade Dell systems of that era. Back then Dell made some awesome beasts with their custom motherboards and top build quality. Search around on eBay and see what you can find. I had a similar full tower Dell server machine around that time, a Pentium 2 400Mhz system (only one CPU that time, I didn't add a second because I never needed to use the system) which weighed a ton but it was also a superbly made machine. Solid steel case ... I remember carrying it home from the office building around 2 miles from my house. I still feel the pain. Don't think I could do that now! I am old and weak.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 113 of 148, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought I was relatively happy with my computer collection, sigh
Although don't think I've enjoyed a derailed topic so much, even with the increased jealousy 🤣

Reply 114 of 148, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 things on Slot 1 that really matters (and visuals as well) the OC capabilities, and the build quality.

ASUS P3B-F is easy the winner, as it have great build quality japan only capacitors rubycon mostly, and the OC is the best out there.
After that is ABIT BE6 or BE6-II or BE6-II V2,they can OC without problem, but only problem is the crap build quality mostly the capacitors, once replaced will be ready to go.
Gigabyte BX2000+ is really nice board, that blue color can easy beat both P3B-F and BE6-II V2 and the Dual BIOS as well, but the OC is not so good, as always from Gigabyte can be expected as they are very bad at OC. Also the build quality of Gigabyte seems way above the ABIT one, and under ASUS, bcuz not all capacitors on the BX2000+ are japan, but the important close to the processor are.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 116 of 148, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The hell this is best Slot 1 mobo thread not NF3 and LanParty but whatever..

I have NF4 LanParty Ultra-D and that thing have metal caps, and rest caps are Nichicon, as the ones that blow up are the brown Chemicon KZG caps, that are weak when it comes to durability on hot places..

Attachments

• Lanparty Ultra D.jpg
    Filename
    Lanparty Ultra D.jpg
    File size
    666.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 118 of 148, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah now i did look all the threads best that board, or other board was from you interesting..
Yeah LanParty with that crazy colors and black PCB really nice, also the UV on the slots is even better with UV light on them...
LanParty was the real deal back in that days, but not anymore, today DFI is making industrial products only shame, the main engineer Oscar Wu was first in ABIT, he was responsible for all great boards till ABIT NF7/ NF7 V2, later on he did move to DFI and created the LanParty series..

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088