VOGONS

Best Slot 1 Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 148, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been planning something similar for a long time now, everything is at hand, I just need time and passion to assemble the rig:

Pentium III-800 (only 100MHz FSB for now, I'm looking forward to get a 133MHz model, but we'll see how this one overclocks)
ASUS P3V4X
4x256MB PC-133 SDRAM
GeForce Ti4200 128Mb
2x 3dfx Voodoo2 12Mb
Creative SB Live! or Aureal Vortex SQ2500
Creative SB 32 CT3670 or some SB16 thingy.

Reply 23 of 148, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This won't be my first build. I will first do a Super Socket 7 PC. That was inspired by PhilsComputerLab. It follows his "4-in-1" PC video. Then, I will be able to play every era of Microsoft gaming. The Slot 1 PC will come later.

Reply 24 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

very good, but win98 sometimes has problems with more than 512mb of ram. if you have issues, drop down to 512mb and try again.

if you TRUELY want to dive into the deep end of slot 1 dual cpu boards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121942662629

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 26 of 148, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

very good, but win98 sometimes has problems with more than 512mb of ram. if you have issues, drop down to 512mb and try again.

Yup, good point.

Jupiter-18 wrote:

Holy cows... That is INSANE!

Don't listen to luckybob, he'll drive you mad. Next time you know, you're in a room full of server gear running a 32-core xeon to read the forums 🤣

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2016-07-21, 05:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Holy cows... That is INSANE!

You should see my garage... ^.^

but seriously STAY AWAY from dual cpu boards if you plan on playing games pre-xp. Its expensive, and not worth the extra money, time and effort. That said, I'm a masochist and I love dual CPU systems.

Build a basic system, THEN "upgrade".

Reply 29 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem. Once you start using 2000 or xp, you can cram as much ram into the system as you want. And those systems like ram.

Reply 31 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same advice on SS7 boards. Stick with the name brands. I have several Asus P5A boards and all are wonderful to use, but pricey.

Reply 33 of 148, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want "the fastest" Slot 1 motherboard than look at something with i840:
http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/19991215/i840-08.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/twin,243-8.html

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 34 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of the intel i840 boards. VERY nice board, but the hassle of RD ram with this chipset really turns me off.

Reply 35 of 148, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you decide you REALLY want to throw your weight around, ditch that sissy-mode slot 1 and go for slot 2.

Behold the UNOBTANIUM Asus XG-DLS with 2gb ram and 2x 900mhz cpu with 2mb cache each:
http://imgur.com/a/5DrX8

No its not for sale, at any price.

Reply 36 of 148, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Win98 Retropc is built around an Asus P3V4X and I'm very happy with it. 😀

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 37 of 148, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Don't listen to luckybob, he'll drive you mad. Next time you know, you're in a room full of server gear running FOUR 32-core xeons to read the forums 🤣

Fixed your post. 😀

(in my defense, I am currently contemplating a dual LGA1366 build myself)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 38 of 148, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Don't listen to luckybob, he'll drive you mad. Next time you know, you're in a room full of server gear running FOUR 32-core xeons to read the forums 🤣

Fixed your post. 😀

(in my defense, I am currently contemplating a dual LGA1366 build myself)

Oh, then you have to think, how do you want to have the IOH (5520 chipset) attached. On many motherboards there are 2 of them, but EVGA has only one and nVidia PCIe bridges on their SR-2 and it helps in some very specific circumstances (multi GPU setups). Thread derailed 🤣

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 39 of 148, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

Oh, then you have to think, how do you want to have the IOH (5520 chipset) attached. On many motherboards there are 2 of them, but EVGA has only one and nVidia PCIe bridges on their SR-2 and it helps in some very specific circumstances (multi GPU setups). Thread derailed 🤣

5520 - this build will be primarily a game server. No fancy VGA required. I'm eyeing a cheapish HP server board on ebay. Have the CPUs (2xL5520), memory and PSU, need coolers.

/end derail

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O