VOGONS

Best Socket A (462) Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 223, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Certainly not the very best, but were decent in their time, I still have my original SOYO KT333 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition (currently working but a mass of bulging caps) and my Chaintech 7NJS (nF2) which is still in perfect nick.

Reply 221 of 223, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few socket 462 boards. Among these there are: AN7, KW7, NF7S/2G, KV7. The performance among all of them are within the margin of error so I don't think VIA chip sets are weaker when talking about games and applications using DirectX9 or OpenGL . Using a top of the line CPU & GPU (3200 and 7800GS) there all perform just as fast in synthetic and real life benchmarks - I have a big "pile" of around 30 tests done at various resolutions - when using max settings. Only in DirectX8 and 7 games does the nforce2 has an advantage over the kt880. Compatibility and ease of setup the NF7S2G - not 2.0 - is by far the best: integrated SATA controller and gigabit LAN are real advantages for me. I do not practice overclocking so all the bells and whistlers provided by NF7S 2.0 are useless to me; also my untrained ears can not discern between Sound storm and the "rest" when using 2.0 speakers.

Reply 222 of 223, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compatibility and ease of setup the NF7S2G - not 2.0 - is by far the best: integrated SATA controller and gigabit LAN are real advantages for me.

NF7-S2G is overall meh board. VRM was cut down and early Nvidia SATA is not so good either (same as VIA). BIOS tweaks are also inferior. So it all boils down to that Gigabit LAN.
But then again, you can simply add PCI Gigabit LAN and it could be something better (onboard LAN is provided by so-so VIA controller).

KT880 is better for Win 98 + Win XP setup. Also is has full support for Win 7, just for giggles.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 223 of 223, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Nemo1985 wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Check caps.

Caps are perfect the issue could be the seasonic (but it works fine in a p4 rig)...

Check caps on the PSU as well, especially output filter caps. The P4 rig doesn't put much load on the +5V rail, so it's a very different testing condition.

The Athlon should be well within the capabilities of the Seasonic. It's under performing for a reason.

I finally had time to check the psu, inside It looks fine.
I will keep to use the seasonic with the p4 build.
I have a question about the sata ports. Can I use a sata DVD Reader to install windows XP or am I going to have issues and I should use a ide device?