Reply 120 of 223, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9800PRO seems to be heavy on 5v and 3.3v

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/im … cons/t4.gif&1=1

perhaps the 7900GS relies a lot more on 12v

if you look at the less old cards here like the x800 they are lighter than the 9800pro on 5v
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/print/ … -powercons.html

Reply 121 of 223, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, yes, 9800 series was the last generation of 5V heavy graphic cards. But come on, 5A in burn mode, it should not trouble 18A PSU that much 😀 The board (GA-7n400s) has an extra 12V connector, but does it get much use?

Reply 122 of 223, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Well, yes, 9800 series was the last generation of 5V heavy graphic cards. But come on, 5A in burn mode, it should not trouble 18A PSU that much 😀 The board (GA-7n400s) has an extra 12V connector, but does it get much use?

This is kinda the magic question here 🤣.

For all we know, the sA P4 connector isn't implemented the way we assume it to be, or at least on VIA boards that have this connector.

And concerning the graphics cards and 5v, I suppose you are correct on the graphics cards. Afaik GF7 used relatively little from the 5v and GF6 and GF5 (while using a lot of power for their time) used mostly 12, but still used some 5v as well.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 124 of 223, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So this got me thinking about getting my k7upgrade-880 motherboard running again, the last time i had it up I set it up like this:
2.2ghz Athlon XP 400FSB (with All copper cooler)
2GB Dual channel 2x1GB (could not get it to boot properly with more then 2GB anything over and it would freeze in the bios)
2x1TB western digital blue sata hard drives, raid 0 (to get these drives working I had to use 2 jumpers in each drive to make it sata150 compliant)
Windows XP Pro SP3
I have know clue what psu i was using so that might have been where I went wrong.

Ive been looking at this power supply as it has 38A on the +5V but im not so sure on the brand though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-650W-Max-Silent … mIAAOSwUdlWc4pp

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 126 of 223, by Palladium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I have to say which is the best Socket A board, it would be the early version Abit NF7-S with black DIMMs.
Pros: ATX12V to CPU, all Rubycon caps
Cons: The chipset fan would have long died by this point.

Reply 128 of 223, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

asrock had some really creative boards around 2006-2010

they had some of those with support for 939 expansion, the well known AGP/PCIE boards, the nforce 3 Phenom II board and so on, I don't really trust their quality all that much from that period since I had issues with my nforce 6100 boards (bugs and failures) from them, but they certainly look like good fun,
also kt880 looks pretty good, a very late chipset, I never had the chance to use it, but the benchmarks looked good, I also always wanted to try the SIS 748..

my ultimate 462 PC would still be based on Nforce 2 Ultra 400+Barton+DDR500 (even if 1GB or less), but, that's a really interesting alternative.

Reply 129 of 223, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:
So this got me thinking about getting my k7upgrade-880 motherboard running again, the last time i had it up I set it up like thi […]
Show full quote

So this got me thinking about getting my k7upgrade-880 motherboard running again, the last time i had it up I set it up like this:
2.2ghz Athlon XP 400FSB (with All copper cooler)
2GB Dual channel 2x1GB (could not get it to boot properly with more then 2GB anything over and it would freeze in the bios)
2x1TB western digital blue sata hard drives, raid 0 (to get these drives working I had to use 2 jumpers in each drive to make it sata150 compliant)
Windows XP Pro SP3
I have know clue what psu i was using so that might have been where I went wrong.

Ive been looking at this power supply as it has 38A on the +5V but im not so sure on the brand though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-650W-Max-Silent … mIAAOSwUdlWc4pp

That is one of my favourite mainboards. I've the KT600 version without dual channel and it run really well.

Reply 130 of 223, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jupiter-18 wrote:

Cool!
That is an awesome looking motherboard!! Do you have the Socket 754 upgrade board?

Sadly I don't and I can't find one anywhere.

Reply 131 of 223, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah. Just have to save an ebay search and hope for the best! That's what I always do anyhow. It usually works, but I haven't had any luck finding the Socket A board I'm looking at, the Gigabyte GA-7VT880 Pro.

Reply 132 of 223, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after seeing that K7Upgrade-880 motherboard I did a quick seach on ebay and found one. I am known for throwing out lowball best offers and just seeing who is willing go that low. I offered 20 USD on a 60 BIN and low and behold the dude accepted so I got one on the way..🤣

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291909879126

Only bad thing is it's unlikely I'll ever get a hold of the upgrade card.

Reply 134 of 223, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

So after seeing that K7Upgrade-880 motherboard I did a quick seach on ebay and found one. I am known for throwing out lowball best offers and just seeing who is willing go that low. I offered 20 USD on a 60 BIN and low and behold the dude accepted so I got one on the way..🤣

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291909879126

Only bad thing is it's unlikely I'll ever get a hold of the upgrade card.

That's how cheap I got mine as well. Let me know if you ever get 4GB of ram working on yours.

Reply 135 of 223, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best socket 462 (A) MB are:

Stage 1 build Quality

ABIT NF7-S V2 - most stability and quality on capacitors, all Japan Rubycon capacitors, that will not blow any time soon. Best OC board as well, just need modded BIOS from DFI LanParty Ultra B
ABIT AN7 - same for NF7 V2 apply to this one as well, but not so good OC on this one, and the guru chip does not work properly

GIGABYTE 7NNXP - 80% of the quality ABIT has (not all caps are japan, the small ones are not, also 3-4 caps closest to the socket blow up easy), this board have many features, like dual BIOS, IDE RAID, secondary VRM (as far as i know that secondary VRM don`t help for OC)

GIGABYTE 7N400 Pro - same apply for that board as well, only thing is the lack of the secondary VRM, not very good OC.

MSI K7N2 Delta 2 - really depend much on every single MSI board, as i have MSI K7N2 Delta 2 ILSR rev. 1.0, that board is all with Japan caps from all good brands, but that apply only to mine board, as i have seen many MSI KN2 Delta 2 boards, and all of them are lower quality compared to mine, so no idea what is the deal with MSI, but as long as they have japan capacitors is really well build. I did have also MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum, well that board was with Chemicon caps, and they are lower quality compared to nichicon, panasonic, rubycon or elna, and that is Platinum, the high end that even have signature of R/D chief of MSI, but who knows..

Stage 2 Overclocking

ABIT NF7 V2/ NF7-S V2 - with modded BIOS from LanParty and, volt mod for more voltage on the memory this is the very best OC board that exist for that platform.

DFI LanParty - the best OC board out of the box, but compared to ABIT boards it lack all the stability, and lost the bios way easy. The cap on that board are mostly Chemicon KZG, they are good caps, but they hate heat, and they can pop up very easy, so not very quality one.

EPoX - 8RDA3+, 8RDA6+ Pro - that brand is known to be able to OC, not the best, but is mid range clocker brand, the quality is nothing much then ECS. I did found like x2 EPoX boards that did have a bit bigger quality then the rest, for example all connectors like memory slots, IDE, PCI, AGP all was harder to put cards, stick in there, also the most interesting thing was the SanYo quality capacitors there where 9 of them close to the socket, instead of the usual x3 only.

SOLTEK SL-NV400-L64 - similar Soltek boards was able to OC as well identical to the EPoX. The build quality is similar as Epox..

Stage 3 Visuals

SOYO SY-KT600 DRAGON Ultra Platinum - Titanium look

SOLTEK-SL 75FRN2-RL - Gold pure Gold

DFI LANPARTY ULTRA B - Racing black and green

Chaintech Zenith CT7NJS - Racing black and yellow

All of that boards are the best in their class, as ABIT in Build quality (small on visuals from the orange color), DFI in OC and visuals as the slots are UV, only in visuals Soltek and SOYO...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 137 of 223, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oooo yeah the SOYO and the Soltek boards are so very nice to look at, i have only the Soltek but is ****ing nice.
Too bad i did found one day the same SOYO board but for intel, and i did not get it as was expensive + i don`t like much 478 platform...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 139 of 223, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems you are in love with that board, well it look damn nice. Sure i will build one day color builds with that board and white colored card i think there was one GEforce 3 card with that color, some silver memory, silver case and other.. Also Gold build with the Soltek and other parts.
Today is so easy to match the colors just go and buy RGB>RGB>RGB, all parts are RGB now and is really easy, while the retro/old parts are so much harder to find and match them...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088