Best Socket A (462) Motherboard?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Best Socket A (462) Motherboard?

Postby Radical Vision » 2018-2-02 @ 22:15

Suuuure this is why on my ABIT BE6-II all caps was ok, the board was 100% stable with 1GHz coppermine, im sure even Tualatin 1.4GHz will be ok on that board..
I have also many others boards that they did not have blown bad brand capacitors.....
So how the f**k then if many bad/trash/junk/garbage capacitor brands can live so long, as they are all proven to be total trash, and you say the japan capacitors will fail how will that happen ?
They all have some life that will end in some time, all of them, just seems you forget the fact that the japan caps will last million times more then the trash china capacitors............................
From all the hardware i did have in my hands, i did see i did NEVER ever found blown rubicon, sanyo/nippon, panasonic capacitors so you can talk all you want..
It is your thing trow money on the fire with buying brand new expensive japan caps, meanwhile i will buy new Hitano and use japan caps from other hardware, and they will be more then fine, im sure they will not blow in MY lifetime (or at least most of them will not..)..........
Radical Vision

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-2-03 @ 03:49

Radical Vision wrote:So how the f**k then if many bad/trash/junk/garbage capacitor brands can live so long, as they are all proven to be total trash, and you say the japan capacitors will fail how will that happen ?

Off brand caps aren't always complete trash and not all caps operate in particularly challenging circumstances. Mid tier Taiwanese caps that receive good cooling and are not subjected to high ripple can deliver long term service without issue, although the worst brands are unreliable in all circumstances. Conversely, caps that must withstand high ripple with insufficient airflow can be subject to failure even when they're known good series from reliable manufacturers.

As you presumably don't know where and how these caps were used, they present something of an unknown quantity when used as replacements. You can't depend on their performance as specified in the corresponding datasheet.
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby Jupiter-18 » 2018-2-03 @ 04:11

Well, this has turned into a much larger debate than i expected. I can't even remember how we got on this subject to be frank.
Anyhow, I still am curious as to the general feeling on PCI-X, as per my last response in this thread.
Jupiter-18

Postby ODwilly » 2018-2-03 @ 04:14

Jupiter-18 wrote:Well, this has turned into a much larger debate than i expected. I can't even remember how we got on this subject to be frank.
Anyhow, I still am curious as to the general feeling on PCI-X, as per my last response in this thread.

I know it is 64bit so it is really awesome for sata raid cards in pci that can run as 64bit for highspeed RAID and hard drive speeds. Basically 32bit pci is pretty bad for bandwidth and ide is very limiting, so you can really get some awesome speed if used with SSD's. At least that is how I see it. Otherwise SCSI RAID with highend cahce cards, networking cards, ect.
Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.
ODwilly
Oldbie

Postby Jupiter-18 » 2018-2-03 @ 04:46

That was my thought, however as i mentioned I did find a few 3D rendering cards as well. Any knowledge about those?
Jupiter-18

Postby ODwilly » 2018-2-03 @ 05:42

Jupiter-18 wrote:That was my thought, however as i mentioned I did find a few 3D rendering cards as well. Any knowledge about those?

Mostly workstation usage, like Wildcat cards and such suited for CAD usage and such. The Matrox Parphelia is a rare, flawed and at the same time great example of a pcix 3d card for gaming and such.
Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.
ODwilly
Oldbie

Postby Jupiter-18 » 2018-2-03 @ 23:00

I'd love to try some out just for the fun of it. What programs would have taken advantage of those?
Jupiter-18

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware