VOGONS

Best Socket A (462) Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 65 of 223, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually its perfectly legal to download windows. Any version with a serial key. As long as you have your own cd key.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 66 of 223, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vista to 10, yes. XP and earlier is more gray. Regardless, the claim was that WIn2k is abandonware (free to use because it's no longer supported). This is false.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 69 of 223, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A legit way, is to buy a $5 computer from your local thrift store. Use its COA sticker.

I personally just pirate it and be done with it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 70 of 223, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will probably do that. My dad's computer ran XP, and we still have it, but the HDD got a scratch on it and it no longer loads. Would I be able to extract it from the hard drive of that pc?

Reply 73 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows XP BE 2015 is amazing. Otherwise just use an XP code and an OEM code that can be found ANYWHERE!!! and you are good. As long as the code has not been online in 90 days MS does not care. XP and earlier is "use at your own risk, unsupported" as far as I know.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 74 of 223, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure MS doesn't care 😀

For my projects I just use the 30 day trial period.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 75 of 223, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'm pretty sure MS doesn't care 😀

They do if it keeps you from installing/upgrading to super-duper Win10.

ODwilly wrote:

Windows XP BE 2015 is amazing.

I tried one of these Black Editions at some point in the past out of curiosity. I found that I had to clean it up pretty well to make it usable as it came with lots of crap added that I didn't need, and that I couldn't unselect while installing. Wasn't particularly impressed.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 78 of 223, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

I tried one of these Black Editions at some point in the past out of curiosity. I found that I had to clean it up pretty well to make it usable as it came with lots of crap added that I didn't need, and that I couldn't unselect while installing. Wasn't particularly impressed.

Ouch, sounds like you got a bum one. The one I found has a nice menu that lets you select what you want to install and came with an All-in-one .Net installer which was greatly appreciated 😁

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 79 of 223, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought talking about cracked stuff was forbidden on here? ...even though just about everyone does it.

why couldn't microsoft just give away their old OS's instead of shoving crappy windows 10 down our Throats.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic