VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello

I found a local seller offering an Intel D865GLC motherboard with 512MB and an unspecified Socket 478 CPU for very cheap, pretty much shipping cost only. Now, I am not familiar at all with S478, back in the day I totally skipped that era of Intel technology (I used AMD since my P3 died until C2D came out), so the possibility of building a 478 retro build has piqued my interest.

So, does anyone know if it is a reasonably good board? I'm not expecting (and I'm not interested in) any OC features from Intel, but I'm more concerned about stability/reliability. Also, with what processor and video card would you pair that board for a powerful period correct build of that era? (around mid-2003 if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That board should be just fine. Intel made conservative boards, very stable, hardly any BIOS features and no overclocking at all.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote:

I'm not expecting (and I'm not interested in) any OC features from Intel, but I'm more concerned about stability/reliability.

In that case, it's perfect!

Really, it's rock solid, built well, boots fast and has nice features (SATA, case fan control, etc.).

I use mine with a P4 Prescott 3.06GHz w/HT and a GeForce FX5700 with XP and ME (should've gone for 98SE, but oh well...). Works like it should.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nopileus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might run into issues with defective capacitors, mine had six Nichicon HN/HM series capacitors that all needed replacing.
Many motherboards from that time suffer from this.

Other than that i'd recommend it, while the bios is simplistic it's stable and POSTs quickly.