VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has a Pentium mmx 266MHz (Pentium 1), 32MB EDO (can be expandede up to 128MB), YAMAHA SA3 and a C&T 655555.
It looks in a really great conservation state, plus only U$42.

My main idea is to play dos games on it (heavy games I have a K6-III+ + voodoo 3 for that)...

Now here's what I don''t know:
-Should I stay in Windows 95 or upgrade to Windows 98 (A/SE)? and is there some kind of usb driver tool like in 98 for using usb flash drive?
-The processor clock can be changed by software? (with setmul or other tool like the one casio did in cassiopeia fiva)
-The Graphics Card has some really poor performance? (by poor I mean something like a Cyrix EXPRESS graphics)
-That cooler is enough for a PMMX 266? (I saw some Toshiba laptops with that style of cooler where the plastic around it melted)
-Is that a high end notebook? I see newer toshibas number with lower specs than mine 😮

Ok, for the curious, here're the pictures from the product
[spoiler]
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_855801-MLB20412324761_092015-F.jpg
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_968801-MLB20412324807_092015-F.jpg
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_158801-MLB20412324830_092015-F.jpg
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_461801-MLB20412324864_092015-F.jpg
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_948701-MLB20412326006_092015-F.jpg
notebook-toshiba-330cdt-muito-conservado-vale-a-pena-D_NQ_NP_934801-MLB20412326048_092015-F.jpg
[/spoiler]

Reply 1 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an almost identical notebook so I may be able to help you.

ibm5155 wrote:

-Should I stay in Windows 95 or upgrade to Windows 98 (A/SE)? and is there some kind of usb driver tool like in 98 for using usb flash drive?

You won't gain anything by staying with 95. Yes, there are USB flash drive drivers for both 95 and 98, but you'll find 98 to be a much better OS overall for that particular machine.

ibm5155 wrote:

-The processor clock can be changed by software? (with setmul or other tool like the one casio did in cassiopeia fiva)

I don't know, but I do know you can change it from the BIOS, and disable caches and stuff like that.

ibm5155 wrote:

-The Graphics Card has some really poor performance? (by poor I mean something like a Cyrix EXPRESS graphics)

I haven't benchmarked mine but games in DOS like DOOM, Descent, even Descent II run lickety split, no problems.

ibm5155 wrote:

-That cooler is enough for a PMMX 266? (I saw some Toshiba laptops with that style of cooler where the plastic around it melted)

Well, my cooler hasn't melted yet but that's 166MHz... 😜

I've been quite impressed with my laptop. The OPL3-SA3 sound is very impressive (and a hardware volume knob!), provides both SBPro2 and WSS compatibility (you just have to fiddle with the Port/IRQ/DMA settings in the BIOS until there are no conflicts 😜). The scaling on the screen is adequate. The processor is plenty fast for any DOS game, and yours will be even more so.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 11, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to agree with keenmaster486. My parents purchased a second hand Toshiba 300CDS when I was a kid, and while that particular unit used a dual scan screen (non-TFT), it was perfect for playing MS-DOS games on it. The SBPro2 compatibility was what really sold it. The graphics controller was perfectly fine for the games I played, and having CD-ROM support under DOS on the laptop was wonderful.

You're lucky to have such a machine, I'd imagine those CDT's were a fair bit more expensive than the CDS's!

Reply 3 of 11, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have an almost identical notebook and it's my favorite DOS gaming portable.

• The TFT LCD is really good, resolution scaling is more than OK for the time and it can also be disabled if desired.
  • The Yamaha sound chip is great for DOS, both compatibility and quality-wise. Real volume knob is also a nice plus. Built-in speakers also sound great for a laptop.
  • C&T video is good enough.
  • Both CD-ROM and floppy drives at the same time, no compromises.
  • Built like a tank!

I've gotten so attached to mine that I've been picking up similar ones when I come across them at the flea market to build up a stock of spare parts - mine had the keyboard die a while ago so I had to cannibalize another of these laptops to keep my main one running.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I bought it, there were only one unit left for selling D: ...
I don't know if it was Lucky, because, the product is really cheap, and it looks like a new notebook 😳 . (and those with damaged screen were more expencive than mine 🤣 )
Is the screen too fragile? because 99% of all toshibas that I saw for selling had some kind of damaged on screen or case.
examples:
https://http2.mlstatic.com/notebook-toshiba-t … 38_072016-F.jpg
https://http2.mlstatic.com/notebook-toshiba-s … 81_102015-F.jpg
https://http2.mlstatic.com/notebook-antigo-to … 40_052014-F.jpg

Reply 5 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, well I got VERY lucky with mine. It was an estate sale dump on eBay, and the guy had it listed for $20 since he hadn't tested it (no power adapter). It looked in great condition though, so I messaged him and asked him if he could plug in a universal power adapter and test it. He did, saying that it "booted to a password screen". Bingo! I bought it, only to discover that the BIOS password screen was set and the password hint was no good (no combination of the obvious answer worked). I ended up having to use the "parallel port hard reset" option.

Edit: Well, my screen doesn't seem too fragile. I don't know whether they were prone to that or if people just kept dropping them for whatever reason.

Reply 6 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

I ended up having to use the "parallel port hard reset" option.

what's that? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

what's that? 😀

You plug various jumper wires into the parallel port pins according to a certain schematic (you can find it somewhere online) and it resets the BIOS settings, including the password. Pretty nifty... you can buy plugs online that will do it for you, but I just broke out the wire stripper and did it myself 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
Stiletto wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

what's that? 😀

You plug various jumper wires into the parallel port pins according to a certain schematic (you can find it somewhere online) and it resets the BIOS settings, including the password. Pretty nifty... you can buy plugs online that will do it for you, but I just broke out the wire stripper and did it myself 😀

Worked on old PC hardware for years and never heard of that. Amazing the sort of things you find out on the Internet. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to say, it's a heavy notebook, but it has MUSCLESSS (take that little cyrix media gxm) and looks like new
EDIT: Also, there's a build in turbo key!!!!!
it's not a turbo like everyone thinks, but at least it lows the clock from 266 to 133 😁

Reply 10 of 11, by Advent-nurse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha, I just picked up a 480CDT two days ago! It's a bit newer than but very similar to the 330CDT. Both have an MMX and a C&T 65555 graphics processor and the cases are as good as identical. You can check your full spec sheet on Toshiba's very own site. As for playing DOS games, according to this topic the C&T 65555 is pretty capable.

ibm5155 wrote:

I have to say, it's a heavy notebook, but it has MUSCLESSS (take that little cyrix media gxm) and looks like new
EDIT: Also, there's a build in turbo key!!!!!
it's not a turbo like everyone thinks, but at least it lows the clock from 266 to 133 😁

This notebook doesn't have a GXm. Why do you think so? Also, where do I find that (anti-)turbo key?

Reply 11 of 11, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nonono, I'm comparing the satellite 330 with my other notebook (netbook) that I bought too, and that one has a cryix media gxm (that in some cases is slower than a Pentium 100)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCehzK9D8CI

"Also, where do I find that (anti-)turbo key?"
fn + the key with a simbol of a wwater faucet (mine is on f2 key), it Works under Windows and either ms-dos, basically what it does is it changes the power settings from bios (so it lowers the cpu clock and also the screen brightness a bit)