VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkubiak402 wrote:

The only thing holding me back form completing the Pentium Pro is the lack of AGP video the only video card i have for it is a ATI 9100 and driver support for it SUCKS! all most every game i try tells me there is no 3d accelerator and i cant run NT4.0 at all with that card no drivers 🙁 and windows 2000 seems to be running slow ish...
i don't know what i want to do with it yet i love the ida of having one of them running is nice.. I was going to have it run a PFsense but the OS will not install... so i have to shop for the fasts PCI card i can fined but there $$$$ on Ebay...
i had a chance to get a matched par for Pentium II over driver 333 5 years a go for $120 😠

Something like a pci TNT2 M64 would be a good match for price/compatibility for the PPro setup, or possibly a Geforce 2 mx pci. Far as I know they never made a Socket 8 board with AGP.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkubiak402 wrote:
it is reporting the motherboard wrong.... as an FIC it is not lol […]
Show full quote

it is reporting the motherboard wrong.... as an FIC it is not 🤣

20160715_225034_zps1okrlhea.jpg

That's funny.. I have an (actual) FIC PT-2200 and that detection isn't even close. The PT-2200 is an Intel 430HX Baby-AT board, different manufacturers, chipsets, features.. they have nothing in common except being socket-7. I don't know how that detection is trying to work but it is on some definite crack here.

To check the cacheable RAM there's a utility I saw referenced in another thread. Rather than trying to find the link I'll just post the file. This is a DOS program. On my MVP3 board it gave a plausible result so I think it works. Memtest86 tries to report this info also but gets it wrong.

Attachments

• Filename
    ctcm17a.zip
    File size
    97.59 KiB
    Downloads
    127 downloads
    File comment
    runs in DOS, tests cacheable memory
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no_cd_patch

The link isn't for the most recent patch but its still the same if you simply download the latest and greatest.

Your modem story reminded me of when I took my PC round to a mates place and used both his phone lines to have a modem game. Cant even remember why we did that, as we definitely had a null modem cable with us?
We definitely had a few Doom and C&C games over modem as well after school, and in different houses...much more sence
ahh simple times 😀

Reply 24 of 24, by mkubiak402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now. http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no […]
Show full quote

The official Diablo 2 Patch supports playing without CD's for awhile now.
http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/diab … sed_no_cd_patch

The link isn't for the most recent patch but its still the same if you simply download the latest and greatest.

Your modem story reminded me of when I took my PC round to a mates place and used both his phone lines to have a modem game. Cant even remember why we did that, as we definitely had a null modem cable with us?
We definitely had a few Doom and C&C games over modem as well after school, and in different houses...much more sence
ahh simple times 😀

i tried that patch and i started to get dll errors

DOS 6.22 FIC-486-VIP-IO AM486-DX2 66Mhz 64mg
Win98se MS-5169 AMD K6-III+ 450 @ 550Mhz 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win98se GA-6VXE7+ Intel Pentium III 750 512mg Voodoo 5 5500.
Win XP MS-6712 AMD Athlon Xp 2700+ 2gb 6600GT