VOGONS

First post, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All!

I'd like to use a serial mouse in my 286 machine, but it seems to be a more difficult task than I thought. 😐

I always receive this message:
002.jpg

I tried the same mouse in my 386 and 486 machine as well, the message is the same.

I attached a PS/2 mouse to my 486 and it works perfectly with this mouse driver. Then I attached a PS/2 > serial port adapter to this mouse, but it doesn't work in the serial port.

I checked the motherboard configuration of the 286 machine and the jumper settings are OK. (The serial port is enabled.) There's an PT-606 IDE controller card in the machine and the serial connector is on it. I downloaded the documentation, according to that, the jumper settings seem to be OK.

I have never used earlier serial mouses, so I have no experience about them. Could you help me, please, what should I check in order to make the serial mouse the work?

Thank you in advance, if there's any help! 😎

Reply 1 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a different mouse driver - Cutemouse (http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/) is a free DOS based mouse driver with very little memory footprint.
I was going to say that you need to check that your COM1 (serial) port is enabled in either your BIOS or on your IDE controller, but since you tried it in different PC's, I don't think this is the problem.
Lastly, you could have a faulty mouse - open the mouse and see if the wiring inside isn't loose. It could also be a problem at the connector (that connects to the port).

Reply 2 of 15, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
80486DX2 wrote:

Then I attached a PS/2 > serial port adapter to this mouse, but it doesn't work in the serial port.

Which kind of adapter? Remember that using a simple passive adapter requires the mouse to support both PS/2 and serial protocols, and thus not all PS/2 mice work on serial port with an adapter.

Reply 3 of 15, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jesolo, Jepael, thank you very much for the answer!

I got the serial mouse from a friend, who used that about 15 years ago and back then it was OK, but now we weren't able to check it for 100% sure. I give a try for that mouse driver.

I searched a photo on the net about that adapter:
http://www.pccables.com/images/PS2-F_Mouse_TO … -Mini_Din_6.jpg
It's very simple.

Hmm... I don't know whether my PS/2 mouse supports serial protocols.

I think, I try to buy a tested serial mouse.

Thank you again!

Reply 4 of 15, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have your pc more than one serial port?

com1 and com2 , are the bios settings to standard adress and irq for comport?

maybe mouse driver searches on the false comport.

at least the mouse can be defektive or the cable is broken.

has the mouse a switch on the bottom side?
mine has a switch so change betwween MS=microsoft mode an PC=pc systems mode

Reply 5 of 15, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Sammy!

It has 2 serial ports.

Next week I'll be at the place, where I store my old PCs. So I'll look into the BIOS.

The mouse is very simple. no buttons on the side. 😀

Thank you for your suggestions!

Reply 6 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh serial mouse is pretty basic stuff.
I'd try any other PC with a serial port. Even XP (and I'm betting later) still supports them.
I would ditch the converter though. If you have a PS2 port use a PS2 mouse, so much nicer options plus 1 less thing to go wrong.
Most of us are trying to find ways to use a PS2 mouse on a system that only has serial, not the other way round!!!

Reply 8 of 15, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Yeh serial mouse is pretty basic stuff. I'd try any other PC with a serial port. Even XP (and I'm betting later) still supports […]
Show full quote

Yeh serial mouse is pretty basic stuff.
I'd try any other PC with a serial port. Even XP (and I'm betting later) still supports them.
I would ditch the converter though. If you have a PS2 port use a PS2 mouse, so much nicer options plus 1 less thing to go wrong.
Most of us are trying to find ways to use a PS2 mouse on a system that only has serial, not the other way round!!!

Sorry, maybe my English wasn't clear enough: I used my 486PC with the PS2 mouse just to test the driver itself.

Reply 10 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks pretty simple, you use a PS/2 Mouse on a Passive Adapter ?
Your Mouse doesnt support Serial Protocol.

You need a Active Converter, not a Passive one.
Or get a real Serialmouse.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 11 of 15, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think he has a serial mouse and a ps2 mouse with an adapter.

you are right, only use the adapter the mouse was selled with.

if there was no adapter with the mouse then chances a very little that it work.

Reply 12 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you trying Microsoft's mouse driver for one of their proprietary (IntelliPoint) serial mouses instead of the proper driver for your non-Microsoft serial mouse? Based on the error message I'd say so...

Another possibility is that the mouse is finicky about your COM ports speed settings.

Reply 13 of 15, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Another possibility is that the mouse is finicky about your COM ports speed settings.

That can't be an issue, as the mouse driver will set the COM port speed by itself.

Most likely it just is PS/2 only mouse so it does not work with a passive adapter. Unless it has been tested to work on another PC's serial port.

Reply 14 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The RS232 Port can be tested easily (partialy), if needed.
Just Plug a Wire in Pin 2 to Pin 3
Open a Terminal Programm and Enter some Text, you should see a echo.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 15 of 15, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry for the late reply! Thank you very much for all the helpful comments!

The problem was with the mouse itself. Not so long ago I bought another serial mouse (the seller said it was tested and worked fine) and it works fine with my machine, too.

(I'm also sorry for placing this topic in a wrong section. Thank you for removing it!)