2x PIII 1Ghz
256MB RDRAM (soon 1GB or 768MB)
Matrox millennium G400 MAX Dualhead 32MB
18GB SCSI HDD
Windows XP SP3

I added:

SB Live! CT4760
3Dfx VooDoo2

i was wondering what GPU is best suited for a rig like this?

THX!

Reply 2 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a bad feeling that GF3 are too new for the machine. Can someone back me up or debunk me on this.
G400-Max seems like a good card for 1ghz dual-P3. Win2K will run nice on this machine.
BeOS can use dual CPU, and it has great support for G400 cards. And it will fly on this baby.

I am thinking that you might want to go for GF2, or some early Radeon.
Just make shure the card you choose, has a really good vga signal strength, when you want to use the V2.
And for that, you allready have a Matrox card. Even one of the great Matrox cards, I might add.

EDIT:
And welcome to the Forum.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 13, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KingPing wrote:

We don't know your needs.
If I am not mistaken your motherboard has AGP Pro 2.0, so it should be compatible with virtually any AGP card.

Reply 4 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2nd Voodoo 2 card!
SLI & SMP all in the same box 😀

I've got a Geforce 4 TI in my 1GHZ single CPU PC. I know the CPU is holding it back but rather the CPU being the bottleneck not the graphics card

Reply 5 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3Dfx isnt SMP aware, so forget about it. Sadly.
The Driver doesnt support it.
So the Renderer can only use 1 CPU.

A GeForce 2/3 would be Optimum Choice.
i use a GeForce 3 Ti 200 with a Xeon P3 550Mhz, the Xeon is fast enough for Games like C&C Renegade at 1280x1024 with 2x AA on.

I also used a 6800GT on Dual Coppermine 1Ghz with 2Gb RAM,
it did even run Crysis at ~ 800x600 10 fps.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 13, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KingPing wrote:
Hi! (first time i post in the forum!!!) […]
Show full quote

Hi! (first time i post in the forum!!!)

I recently bought a Compaq AP550 Workstation really cheap 😊

so cheap i might buy another, just to have spares 😀

it came with:

2x PIII 1Ghz
256MB RDRAM (soon 1GB or 768MB)
Matrox millennium G400 MAX Dualhead 32MB
18GB SCSI HDD
Windows XP SP3

I added:

SB Live! CT4760
3Dfx VooDoo2

THX!

I'd say it depends on your plans, what era games and what OS you are sticking with.

In the day I used two Abit VP6s with 2x1ghz, a bunch of CUV4-Ds Dual P3s as servers and a CUV4X-DLS with SCSI and AGP Pro that I still have and use for Win98 gaming. The dual p3 offered a lot at its time, so much in fact Intel never offered them on consumer, non-xeon/server boards again because the benchmarks against the very first crop of Pentium 4s were overwhelmingly negative.

Any top of the line AGP 4X GPU will do for XP. For games I used a Radeon R100/64MB for the longest time. Upgraded to a Radeon 9600XT, then a Geforce 5500 to a 6800. I think the turning point was GTA: San Andreas with fog and view distances is when I noticed the CPUs finally struttering but not the vid card. I'd say any major title after that is suited to pci-e cards and p4 systems.

I also used AGP Pro cards: an ATI FireGL Z1 and Quadro4s (900 & 980XL) but that was to get dual DVI desktops for cheap as 2nd hand they were way cheaper than any dual-head gaming card on account of being terrible for games.

Reply 8 of 13, by KingPing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My plan is to pair whatever GPU i buy to a Voodoo2 SLI

I was wondering... can i use a DVI to VGA adaptor on the 2D card and then connect to the Voodoo2?

About the Voodoo5500... it's too expensive, i mean, i would love to own one but it's U$D366 here where i live.

I can get a Voodoo4 4500 for cheap though, even if i don't use it i think it's worth having it anyway.

how bad is an ATI FireGL Z1 for games?, cause i can get one of those.

THX!

Reply 9 of 13, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm living the same exact "dilema". 1st world problems 😁

I'm also building a Dual Pentium 3 1GHz and i can't figure what should i put as a video card\cards.

At the moment i have a Geforce 6800 and 2 x voodoo2 in sli for glide gaming, but i'm still not sure about this setup because everything the 2 voodoos can run, the 6800 does it better.
I have a Voodoo 5 5500 in another machine, and i might use it for this machine.
Or use a Geforce 2 mx or ti for the AGP slot and the 2 voodoos in sli.

Depends on what you want or can aford. I still can't figure if i want a period correct configuration, or if i want to squeeze the most out of the system.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 10 of 13, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KingPing wrote:

how bad is an ATI FireGL Z1 for games?, cause i can get one of those.

The FireGL Z1s was for CAD/CAM and workstation stuff, and spec wise it was the lowest of the low end for these types of cards.

If you are talking 3D accelerated XP era games, the FireGL Z1 is bad to the point where it wouldn't be worth it even if it was free. The hardware isn't suited to it and the real problem was the drivers are overall unpredictable if not unstable, and that get's a whole lot worse when running anything DirectX.

Reply 11 of 13, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't matter if you put a GF2 or 6800 or Radeon 9800 in there. Don't worry about CPU bottleneck with the vast majority of Win9x games -- just crank up the resolution and AA on a faster card. Voodoos are nice to have (but maybe not so nice to buy 😀 ) but not necessary as you can use a glidewrapper.

As for XP era games... BioShock or Mass Effect with EAX HD tend to be my benchmark, which would require another machine altogether.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a few systems like that myself and they are Nice systems to play with but just get something meaty to it like a G4 Ti. As for that 3dfx 4500 just buy it because that is basically money in another form 🤣. Not joking those cards are only getting more expensive.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool machine!

Personally, with the dual processors, I would consider building an early era Windows XP machine. With SP1 for example.

A GeForce3 or 4 type card should fit well. These cards are a bit modern to be used with 98, with Nvidia and 98 period correct drivers can be quite important, but also Windows 98 games do not need a 1 GHz CPU.

YouTube, Facebook, Website