VOGONS

First post, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.
I have an industrial mobo iBASE MB865-R and my secondary graphic card is 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 (flashed MAC version) which does not work there. My primary graphic card is XTX GeForce 7800 GS AGP 256MB. There is an integrated VGA on this motherboard too and when I set whatever (init PCI first, disable VGA) in BIOS nothing helps. AGP card is preffered by BIOS on the first place even I enable VGA in BIOS. When I pull out all graphic card and disable VGA in BIOS system after boot beeps because it did not find any graphic card. I tried to disable VGA in BIOS and I pulled out the GeForce so V5 was the only card in the PCI slot and system beeps too. I have tried put V5 into the every PCI slot and the same result. So I am pretty sure that this mobo MB865 does not support any other PCI graphic card. Can you help me with it please? V5 works great in another computer of course. Any suggestions? There is no problem with a voltage like 3.3V required instead of 1.5V for newer AGP slot. This card is the PCI one. This must works in every computer. I think I need some guy who knows how to moddify the BIOS. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI does actually have a 5v and a newer 3.3v standard. The Voodoo5 would almost certainly be 5v. I know the cards are supposed to be keyed for compatibility, but with AGP that doesn't always mean "if it fits it works". I'm not that familiar with this myself, but it's something to look into.

Also, a brief look at Wikipedia shows that the v5 PCI Mac card is compatible with 66mhz PCI slots but makes no mention of using them in a standard slot. Again, it's worth checking into.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't be much help unfortunately. I'd guess it's the integrated VGA messing things up or a crappy bug with the BIOS.

There is no issue with 33 MHz support and the Voodoo5 is most certainly 3.3V capable unlike older Voodoos. The OP's board is keyed for 5V support regardless, from what I can see (http://www.ibasetechnology.net/EN/images/MB865_700.jpg).

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Industrial Mainboards are quite special. On one mainbaord I had the problem that the Voodoo5 PCIs BIOS freeze on bootup when the board is equipped with 4 GB RAM. However as you don't get an image after all it is most likely another issue.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 8, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SBB wrote:

Have you tried a different PSU? Or maybe try the PSU From the computer which works?

I have tried with that PSU and no change. System beeps after restart again. Do you know someone who knows how to modify the BIOS? I do not expect it would be free, of course. Any other ideas?
Thank you very much.

Reply 6 of 8, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I bought a second non-flashed MAC version of V5 5500. It was good bargain. How do I have reflash this card on PC when I do not see any picture? When I run the computer from AGP card with PCI V5 plugged in the PCI slot and try to reflash via 3dfx EEPROM Flasher 2.14 no success too. 3dfx EEPROM Flasher 2.14 does not see V5 card too. Or there is only way how to reflash V5 MAC version only using a MAC? Thank you.

Reply 7 of 8, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have finally flashed the BIOS. I downloaded FLASH.EXE wihout a readme file. Than I found the FLASH.EXE with readme file and I have found out that FLASH.EXE + DOS4GW.EXE + *.ROM file must be placed in a temporary directory. That is all.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rabanik wrote:

Hi guys.
I have an industrial mobo iBASE MB865-R and my secondary graphic card is 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 (flashed MAC version) which does not work there. My primary graphic card is XTX GeForce 7800 GS AGP 256MB. There is an integrated VGA on this motherboard too and when I set whatever (init PCI first, disable VGA) in BIOS nothing helps. AGP card is preffered by BIOS on the first place even I enable VGA in BIOS. When I pull out all graphic card and disable VGA in BIOS system after boot beeps because it did not find any graphic card. I tried to disable VGA in BIOS and I pulled out the GeForce so V5 was the only card in the PCI slot and system beeps too. I have tried put V5 into the every PCI slot and the same result. So I am pretty sure that this mobo MB865 does not support any other PCI graphic card. Can you help me with it please? V5 works great in another computer of course. Any suggestions? There is no problem with a voltage like 3.3V required instead of 1.5V for newer AGP slot. This card is the PCI one. This must works in every computer. I think I need some guy who knows how to moddify the BIOS. Thank you.

Have you tried to change the BIOS' VGA preference to PCI?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.