VOGONS

Best Socket 7 AT motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been reading for about 6 days straight on different things. What I may want to play, etc etc. I was pretty dead set on a 486 build at first, but now I'm leaning to the socket 7 to be able to play 3d games. Maybe use an mmx or super socket.

Currently I have gotten myself a AT case with 8 slots and a turbo button. For me its important that I can have the turbo button work.
I got a Sound Blaster Pro, not sure if I would need anything more than that.
I got a 5.25 floppy drive, a combo 5.25 3.5.
A caddy matasushika cd rom drive to use with the sound blaster pro
and potentially a group of et4000 vlb cards, which I dont think I can use with socket 7.

I also inherited a Vectra XU 6/200 from an old IT job, but my heart got pretty set on the turbo button look.

Any help is appreciated. This forum has already been such a wealth of information.

Ami Winbios would be a plus!

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 1 of 30, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for long term usage without overclocking, go with dfi k6bv3-66 or fic va503.
for record setting extreme overclocking, go with gigabyte 5aa or asus p5a-b.

Reply 2 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:

for long term usage without overclocking, go with dfi k6bv3-66 or fic va503.
for record setting extreme overclocking, go with gigabyte 5aa or asus p5a-b.

Thank you, I will research them all. Do you have any thought on mb-m575 type motherboards?

Reply 3 of 30, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Turbo button doesn't do anything on Pentium motherboards as far as I know.
There are some rare socket 7 boards with a turbo header I think, maybe someone else
here has used one and can comment on whether it works or not.

You can turn off caches to emulate a 486 down to 286 speeds though. Not XT.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:
The Turbo button doesn't do anything on Pentium motherboards as far as I know. There are some rare socket 7 boards with a turbo […]
Show full quote

There are some rare socket 7 boards with a turbo header I think, maybe someone else

The motherboard Im looking at, accorinding to docs, has a turbo LED jumper. Though it dosnt mention anything beyond that. <- seems that it will light the LED all the time only.

Reply 5 of 30, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:
The Turbo button doesn't do anything on Pentium motherboards as far as I know. There are some rare socket 7 boards with a turbo […]
Show full quote

i feel that a 486 board with 486dx-25 and isa video card is slow enough already, it runs doom at a stunning 2fps.

Reply 6 of 30, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Imperious wrote:
Show full quote

I have a 430VX-based motherboard with both turbo_sw and turbo_led pins. The LED works, though I'm yet to make the switch change the frequency.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 30, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are we talking Socket 7 or Super Socket 7?

If Socket 7, I'm voting for the Asus P55T2P4.

Imperious wrote:

Tested the turbo function on a GA-586HX. It slows a Pentium 200 MMX down to about Pentium 133 levels. Not really useful. Interesting detail: the manual states not to switch turbo when the system is turned on. It works fine regardless, though.

noshutdown wrote:

i feel that a 486 board with 486dx-25 and isa video card is slow enough already, it runs doom at a stunning 2fps.

There are other games than Doom 😵 Take Test Drive 3 or Wing Commander for example... a 486SX25 is too fast for those.

Reply 8 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since turbo wont do much of anything, should i might as well look into a pentium 2/3 AT mobo? Can those still be alowed down simply by disabling cache?
At that point is there any worth to the parts I already have?

Reply 9 of 30, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dunno, depends on what you want.

Socket 7 is awesome for DOS games. A tricked out Socket 7 system is enough for Windows 98 games and early 3d acceleration, but might be underpowered for games from 99 onwards.

Pentium 2/3 is quite a bit faster and suited better for early Windows titles, but can't be slowed down as elegantly as Socket 7 (which is only necessary for older DOS titles, really). Also, it's a lot easier to get Slot 1 mainboards for ATX.

Soundblaster Pro is more suited for 486 era, as are 5 1/4 floppies. To be honest, I don't use mine much, but they're in there for the coolness factor.

Reply 10 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i am very interested in playing 486 games. But I'd like to go up to being able to play doom extremely well. is a 200mhz mmx enough for this? Maybe with a board that has a cache expansion slot?

I'm alrady making a 98/XP machine (which is where my PC knowhow starts) so the machine in question doesnt really need to venture in the 98 era of gaming.

What would be the process to slow down a pentium 2/3 for 486 gaming?

Reply 11 of 30, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
goodtofufriday wrote:

But I'd like to go up to being able to play doom extremely well. is a 200mhz mmx enough for this?

Yes, certainly. Anything above a DX4/100 will do this. I'm personally satisfied with Doom on a DX2/66 w/ ISA graphics.

goodtofufriday wrote:

I'm alrady making a 98/XP machine (which is where my PC knowhow starts) so the machine in question doesnt really need to venture in the 98 era of gaming.

Socket 7 would be perfect then.

goodtofufriday wrote:

What would be the process to slow down a pentium 2/3 for 486 gaming?

Lowering FSB, lowering multiplier if possible, disabling caches. Though I've often heard that a P2 with disabled cache will be TOO slow.

Reply 12 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:

Lowering FSB, lowering multiplier if possible, disabling caches. Though I've often heard that a P2 with disabled cache will be TOO slow.

Thabks for replying. Always thought doom.needed more.

I found a boarf the has custom bios to allow for a 1.4ghz p3 that is AT form factor. Its has fsb133. Would that be enough to avpid cache disabling becomg too slow?

Reply 13 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly, the P2 and P3 perform like a slow 386 with caches disabled, so clock sensitive games from the 486 era will either be too fast or too slow. Caches have much more influence on apparent speed than CPU clock.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a P-133 on a FIC PA-2013, TNT2-M64-PCI, 32mb Ram. Disabling cache makes a nice 386/486.
Don't know what to do with it, other than I did the build for the fun of it.
I don't have enough antistatic bags, so I had to put the hardware into a case. Hence the build.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-08-08, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 30, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Exactly, the P2 and P3 perform like a slow 386 with caches disabled, so clock sensitive games from the 486 era will either be too fast or too slow. Caches have much more influence on apparent speed than CPU clock.

Baring thaylt knowledge, im then torn between the mobo i mentioned in my last post that supports the faster fsb cache
And a socket 7 that supports mmx processors and has ami winbios

Reply 16 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

I have a P-133 on a FIC PA-2013, TNT2-M64-PCI, 32mb Ram. Disabling cache makes a nice 386/486.
Don't know what to do with it, other than I did the build for the fun of it.
I don't have enough antistatic bags, so I had to put the hardware into a case. Hence the build.

Feel free to share that board with me... 😎

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the good news is that socket 7 AT boards are often pretty cheap time to time and demand is very low unless it happens to be one of the rare super 7 agp boards. If you are in the states you can very easily bag a board for $15 to $30 unless if you time it right either wise it will cost a bit more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LARGE-Keyboar … %3D172286542393

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-585ATV-SO … %3D172286542393

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 19 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket 7 hands down as you get a wider range of support and can emulate slower systems so you can enjoy dos games at more appropriate speeds. Slot 1 is more of a pure 9x and xp platform for late 90s and early 2000s games.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.