VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an old 386 Baby AT board that I want to mount in an ATX case. I thought I'd get lucky and be able to use the existing mounts but absolutely none of them match up.

Am I going to need to drill/tap for the brass standoffs so that I can properly mount it? Or would I be better screwing the standoffs into a thin piece of plexi and then screwing that into the case?

How exactly would you drill the aluminum so that you can screw in the brass standoffs? I know that if I just use a regular bit it probably isn't going to work.

I want to maybe have a crack at getting this box going next weekend and want to properly secure the board. Let me know what you think.

Reply 1 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you could use a tap to thread the new holes after you drill them? Though I don't know how easy it is to acquire a tap & die set that gets you the correct threading for the standoffs...

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that the motherboard is meant to be grounded to the case (helps discharge static for example), hence the metal surroundings on the screw holes and the existence of metal standoffs.
Not saying that you will cause problems if you use an additional non-conductive layer, many of us have done it. Just that it's not the 100% intended thing to do, as using all plastic standoffs or putting washers on every screw.

Reply 3 of 6, by Super_Relay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote:

Keep in mind that the motherboard is meant to be grounded to the case (helps discharge static for example), hence the metal surroundings on the screw holes and the existence of metal standoffs.
Not saying that you will cause problems if you use an additional non-conductive layer, many of us have done it. Just that it's not the 100% intended thing to do, as using all plastic standoffs or putting washers on every screw.

this is true but the motherboard will be grounded to the case through the power supply/drives/etc though. unless you specifically insulate them as well.

the threaded section of the standoffs may be long enough to have it go through the motherboard tray and put a nut on the bottom of them.

Reply 4 of 6, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could just use self-adhesive nylon standoffs, will be a pain if you want to remove it later though. As others mention a ground strap from the board to somewhere on the case wouldn't be bad idea.

Reply 5 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Super_Relay wrote:
konc wrote:

this is true but the motherboard will be grounded to the case through the power supply/drives/etc though. unless you specifically insulate them as well.

the threaded section of the standoffs may be long enough to have it go through the motherboard tray and put a nut on the bottom of them.

True as well and of course it can be achieved in many ways such as the separate ground mentioned. This is why it was only a "keep in mind" thing 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can always use old plastic standoffs. In the past, during the AT form factor era (386, 486) many cases have only one or two brass standoffs and many holes for plastic standoffs.

standoff.Main.jpg

You see the bottle (somehow) shaped holes in the picture?
IMG_2627-2000px.jpg

You can fix the board with a couple of brass standoffs where it is placed appropriately and use plastic standoffs (with sawed off bottoms if required) elsewhere.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000