VOGONS

First post, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if a classic DOS game experiences a clicking/popping noise on game startup with a SoundBlaster Pro II CT1600, will it also happen or be likely to happen with SoundBlaster Pro I CT1330A? I have tested "Unlimited Adventures" ("UA") a.k.a. "Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures" ("FRUA"; uses the SSI Gold Box game engine) using a SoundBlaster Pro II CT1600 and an AWE64 Gold CT4390, but have not had an opportunity to test it using SoundBlaster Pro I CT1330A. Both the CT1600 and the CT4390 had the clicking/popping noise on game startup.

I did some research here on the forum and I came across a post that mentioned that for the most part, CT1600 and CT1330A use the same hardware board components and architecture, except obviously that CT1330A has the 2 OPL2 chips and CT1600 has the 1 OPL3 chip. I also remembering coming across a thread that said that CT1330A might handle 8-bit audio better than CT1600. As far as I am aware, UA uses 8-bit SoundBlaster audio effects, and also uses compressed .voc files, if that makes a difference as well. Ideally, I would be interested in trying to identify a Creative SoundBlaster card that does not exhibit the clicking/popping noise on game startup, if anyone knows of or can think of any that might be able to have the desired effect. Any advice anyone could please provide would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! 😀

Last edited by Galahad on 2016-08-12, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a CT1330A back then and it certainly is not a quiet card. I know it makes a lot of background noise for sure. I'm pretty sure it made pop sounds when starting some games, but I haven't used it in many years so I'll just put my certainty at about 90% confidence.
I've never played the game you mentioned but if it exhibits pop noises when starting then I expect the CT1330A probably would do the same thing.