VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I built this everyday main retro pc based on A7V133, 512MB @ 100 CL2, Kyro2 64MB and 10GB UDMA4 disk plus the Duron 1200 SSE cpu with Win ME. I found this config incredibly fast and still ""modern"" but measuring at the power plug I get almost 90W of wattage request. If I use another faster vga the power easily increase to 100/110W , and if I use an older one probably I will not save watts (Voodoo3 will request/dissipate more, G400 probably... maybe the S3 Savage 4? but just some watts).
So I was thinking what other cpu could I use to save power cause almost 100W fixed is quiet a lot even if the VS650 supply I have seems to not have problems with it (4,91V on 5V rail). Maybe the Duron 1000? Or some Geode Athlon based cpu? Or maybe the XP 1500+?
Thank

Reply 1 of 32, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would first consider to employ some power saving features using e.g. Rain.
Also how about a Geforce2 MX400 as graphics card?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 32, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try to reduce the Vcore, maybe also the multiplier of the CPU. Try running 7.5x133MHz with reduced Vcore instead of 12x100MHz.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

I would first consider to employ some power saving features using e.g. Rain.
Also how about a Geforce2 MX400 as graphics card?

Considering the temperature of both chipsets I would say it will require same power to run, wouldn't it? But it's a good try anyway. 😀

I think too that maybe to go down to 1000 mhz and some 0.x volts less will save who knows, maybe 10W.
Probably switching to the 370 socket would be better, I have a Celeron Tualatin config to build but I never really liked it.

Reply 5 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

Stuff from this era just wasn't very power efficient, especially Socket A.

Yeah, undervolting should work, though I suspect this will save a few watts at most.

Not to mention fan noise...they seems like my car fan. I reduced the voltage of both the cpu and chipset one risking high temps but saving my ears. 😁

Reply 8 of 32, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As Aideka says Thoroughbred 1600/1700 has a TDP in the low 40s. I recently put one in my MicroATX build to try to bring temps down.
These run at 1.5V and have the advantage of full support in desktop boards, unlike the mobile and embedded processors.
Search for DLT3C to find these on eBay.

90W at the plug actually doesn't seem too bad considering most Athlons have TDP of around 60W just for the CPU.

Reply 9 of 32, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about Geode NX1750 ?

Its rated 25W and runs 1400Mhz, also Socket A
(If your Board supply Vcore of 1.25V..)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 12 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:
As Aideka says Thoroughbred 1600/1700 has a TDP in the low 40s. I recently put one in my MicroATX build to try to bring temps do […]
Show full quote

As Aideka says Thoroughbred 1600/1700 has a TDP in the low 40s. I recently put one in my MicroATX build to try to bring temps down.
These run at 1.5V and have the advantage of full support in desktop boards, unlike the mobile and embedded processors.
Search for DLT3C to find these on eBay.

90W at the plug actually doesn't seem too bad considering most Athlons have TDP of around 60W just for the CPU.

Yeah considering how much hot the Duron runs it's not that bad but I get to these only using this video card that usually ran quiet cool. I was thinking to use some very older cards like the Matrox Mystique PCI but maybe I would slow it down too much and if I put some Voodoo2 I will get to the same wattage. The Kyro 2 was probably much faster on the GUI considering it's a 2001 solution. Maybe I could try the Savage 4 or the G450 but the cpu is the point here. I was expecting that the sse duron ran at lower temps.

Reply 14 of 32, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aideka wrote:

Well, temperatures are "easily" lowered by using an over the top cooler 😜. Some copper core cooler with support for 8cm fans is all that is needed.

Yeah that's right but for now I'm using a classic XP original heatsink with half fan speed. Temp are always more than 50 celsius degrees.
Now measuring 85 watts during surfing the forum. 😁

Reply 15 of 32, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if you decide to upgrade the heatsink at some point I have to recommend either Zalman CNPS7000 or GlacialTech SilentBreeze 3, both of which are pretty quiet, and should be enough to cool even the hottest Athlon XP's. I think the Zalman CNPS7700 might also have the mounting hardware for socket a available. The stock heatsinks of those Athlons are not too good in my experience, but the processors themselves seem to cope with exessive heat pretty well.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 16 of 32, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

List of AMD Duron microprocessors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Dur … _7.2C_180_nm.29

List of AMD Athlon microprocessors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ath … microprocessors

List of AMD Athlon XP microprocessors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ath … microprocessors

Aideka wrote:

Some of the lower end Thoroughbred chips use under 50 watts, the 1600+ and 1700+ models to be exact.

bjt wrote:

As Aideka says Thoroughbred 1600/1700 has a TDP in the low 40s.

When the TDP values from the top links are true, then you have ~50watts. Don' t know how much of these values are correct...

Looking at cpu-world, the values for the 0.13micron 1600+ and 1700+ are around 44-45W for the typical power dissipation and up to 50W for the max. power dissipation. Only this SFF version seems to have ~35W.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … A1600DUT3C.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … D1600DQT3C.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … A1700DLT3C.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … A1700DUT3C.html

The Morgan Core with 1200Mhz is almost around 5W higher, that means to recommend a standard XP T-Bred is not really an option.
Duron 1.2 GHz specifications:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Duron%20 … D1200AMT1B.html

What makes really sense, is to use a mobile Athlon, with 25W or 35W TDP. But here is the question if the mainboard supports these CPUs...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 17 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used A7V133 and A7V boards extensively years ago. Afaik CPU support depended a lot on the specific revision of the board (at the time I used these boards, 1.05 seemed to be considered a turning point for Palomino, which is still a 0.18 chip). I don't know if there are any tricks to use more modern CPUs in older boards, this could very well be the case since my knowledge on these boards is old as well.

But once these were set up and running, I found them very fast as well, running a Palomino with 1GB SDRAM and Windows XP I think (and some random GF MX I think), but I've also build rigs with this board using ME and less RAM (I got like at least 6 of these boards I think? All for free and they were being tossed out, so I took em all! 😁)

But when it comes to power draw, the best option of that era will probably be Tualatin.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I've used A7V133 and A7V boards extensively years ago. Afaik CPU support depended a lot on the specific revision of the board (at the time I used these boards, 1.05 seemed to be considered a turning point for Palomino, which is still a 0.18 chip). I don't know if there are any tricks to use more modern CPUs in older boards, this could very well be the case since my knowledge on these boards is old as well.

But once these were set up and running, I found them very fast as well, running a Palomino with 1GB SDRAM and Windows XP I think (and some random GF MX I think), but I've also build rigs with this board using ME and less RAM (I got like at least 6 of these boards I think? All for free and they were being tossed out, so I took em all! 😁)

But when it comes to power draw, the best option of that era will probably be Tualatin.

When it comes to power draw, the best option of that era will probably be C3.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

When it comes to power draw, the best option of that era will probably be C3.

True, but 386SX was I think also wanting something with performance roughly similar to his existing rig.
Tualatin has virtually similar performance for about half the power draw of the CPU, but I should've stated power draw vs performance anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!