VOGONS

First post, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After reading post that go back to the early 2000s up to a few post I have here, ive decided on a final build and have ordered most of the parts. I'd love to hear opinions and what I might be able to add or change.
I wanted to make a DOS only box, and maybe 95 with high compatablity but also powerful. But no windows 98. Below is what i came up with. I'm going to recap every board as well.

Mobo: PCChips M577 SS7 clone board -> PC100 82C598A

CPU: AMD k6 3+ 450mhz + large cooler

GPU: Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (I debated this over a voodoo2 sli + tnt2, but found a voodoo 3 for 40$)

Sound: SB16 CT 2290 - this was suggested by a user that I know from other fourms I'm on, and from youtube videos I really like the sound. it also has a the panasonic connector. I also have a SB Pro 1

Case: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/a9sAAOSwtnpXn5Zc/s-l1600.jpg <- this has a PSU with it.

CD: Matsushita-Kotobuki Model CR-523-B - has panasonic connector

Floppy: 3.25 + 5.25 combo drive

I had gotten 2 tseng et4000 w32p vlb boards as well since I originally planned to do a 486 build, but decided I wanted to run most all dos games well. One is Hercules and another is winfast.

Thanks for taking a look.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 1 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

ive decided on a final build and have ordered most of the parts.

Well, it's a bit late to start changing things now, isn't it?

But no windows 98.

What's wrong with Windows 98? If you just have a vague personal preference for Windows 95, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

PCChips sounds like a terrible idea, even if you recap everything. (I hope you have experience with recapping.)

There is also nothing much to be gained in using a sound card with a Panasonic connector and its associated CD-ROM drive.

Reply 2 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Well, it's a bit late to start changing things now, isn't it? […]
Show full quote
goodtofufriday wrote:

ive decided on a final build and have ordered most of the parts.

Well, it's a bit late to start changing things now, isn't it?

But no windows 98.

What's wrong with Windows 98? If you just have a vague personal preference for Windows 95, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

PCChips sounds like a terrible idea, even if you recap everything. (I hope you have experience with recapping.)

There is also nothing much to be gained in using a sound card with a Panasonic connector and its associated CD-ROM drive.

I can still change parts later or even now. nothing set it stone. These are just he parts Ive concluded with.

I repair electronics as a second source of income, so recapping is about as easy as sleeping for me. I dont really know what pcchips boards are like, but i gather they arent great. However anandtech and this post says that this particular board is good, as its yet another clong of the ampton pm9900. Super-7 mobo RAM woes

Im making another machine thats XP/98 era. i know ATX very well, which is partly why I wanted to do this build here.

cd-rom drive I wanted because its a cd cassette loader instead of the tray. i just think its cool.

Reply 3 of 21, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks nice but you'll definitely want to add a second faster CDROM or DVD drive. A drive old enough to use caddies is going to be incredibly slow at loading or installing games.

To me, the CPU and Video card are Windows 98 era parts. That's what I'd probably install on it. Since that CPU can likely be scaled way way down via disabling cache and lowering clocks you could use the SB Pro and old CDROM for really old stuff on a separate DOS 6.22 partition.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Looks nice but you'll definitely want to add a second faster CDROM or DVD drive. A drive old enough to use caddies is going to be incredibly slow at loading or installing games.

To me, the CPU and Video card are Windows 98 era parts. That's what I'd probably install on it. Since that CPU can likely be scaled way way down via disabling cache and lowering clocks you could use the SB Pro and old CDROM for really old stuff on a separate DOS 6.22 partition.

the case i chose only has two drive bays. if its going to be that slow then I will save it for a future 486 build along with the sbpro. Is there any cd or dvd drive you can recommend that has an older style look?

If I did install 98, how well could it even play 98 games? I thought a slot 1 p3/4 would be better for that. Dos is before my time with PCs so I had set out to make a pc that could run nearly any game I threw at it, including 3d. Hence why compatibility was my main concern.

I do have a slot 1 board in mind that with a hacked bios can support a 1.4ghz p3.

Reply 5 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

Is there any cd or dvd drive you can recommend that has an older style look?

Every CD or DVD drive looks pretty much exactly the same to me. What's an "older style look" ?

If I did install 98, how well could it even play 98 games?

What do you mean by "98 games" ?

I had set out to make a pc that could run nearly any game I threw at it

There is no such thing. If you do that you will end up building two PCs. And then three PCs. And then more PCs. And you will never use half of them more than once. Decide what you are actually going to play.

Reply 6 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Every CD or DVD drive looks pretty much exactly the same to me. What's an "older style look" ? […]
Show full quote
goodtofufriday wrote:

Is there any cd or dvd drive you can recommend that has an older style look?

Every CD or DVD drive looks pretty much exactly the same to me. What's an "older style look" ?

If I did install 98, how well could it even play 98 games?

What do you mean by "98 games" ?

I had set out to make a pc that could run nearly any game I threw at it

There is no such thing. If you do that you will end up building two PCs. And then three PCs. And then more PCs. And you will never use half of them more than once. Decide what you are actually going to play.

Maybe funky would be a better term. just something that looks interesting.

98 games like say Unreal Tournament. ive read that a k6-3+ wont be able to handle the game very well.

I know that there are going to be a lot of games I can't play with machine, especially much older ones that would be happier with a voodoo1. but thats fine, Im mostly interested in the hardware more than anything.

Reply 7 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

Maybe funky would be a better term. just something that looks interesting.

I suppose some of the oldest models still have headphone jacks, volume knobs, and pause/next buttons. But CD drives can fail in numerous ways and even if you start looking for a specific model, you could very well end up with something that no longer reads CDs correctly.

Reply 8 of 21, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you're building would be an excellent late 90's Windows 98 games machine. DOS games would work of course, but the K6-III+ and the Voodoo 3 are waaaaay overkill.

You'd be better off (for DOS, that is) building a Socket 5 machine with a Pentium and a Trio32/64 or something. Edit: The SB16 is perfect for both eras.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

What you're building would be an excellent late 90's Windows 98 games machine. DOS games would work of course, but the K6-III+ and the Voodoo 3 are waaaaay overkill.

You'd be better off (for DOS, that is) building a Socket 5 machine with a Pentium and a Trio32/64 or something. Edit: The SB16 is perfect for both eras.

i was afraid I made it too powerful. But my other build has a nvidia 6800gt agp sepcifically for 98 compatibility, so i didnt want that to feel like a waste. No Im not so sure to keep that building going

Reply 10 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

98 games like say Unreal Tournament. ive read that a k6-3+ wont be able to handle the game very well.

Where did you read this btw? Define "very well"?

UT probably has only slightly higher system requirements compared to Unreal and it ran fine using a K6-III/400 and another system using a Mendocino 400MHz.

Or are you going to be using some extreme 3rd party unofficial patch that drastically increases system requirements perhaps?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6-III-400 with Voodoo3-3500 or TNT2-Ultra works well with UT99.
I have had both installed in one of my SS7 build's.
I have also used 2 x Voodoo2 8mb cards in SLI configuration, works well.
Shure it will not run at 1024x768. I run it at 800x600x32.
If the levels are too big, I change the resolution to 640x480x32.
Does not matter to me, and if I want higher res' I go for a faster machine.

The setup that I have used for it, was this...

- Gigabyte GA-5AX
- K6-III-400 (non plus)
- 128mb PC133 Ram (133 is for stability and long life of the ram on 100mhz Bus)
- Compaq TNT2-Ultra-32mb and Compaq Voodoo3-3500 (tried both)
- Voodoo2-8mb SLI (right now it's with TNT2 and V2-SLI)
- Creative AWE64 Gold
- Seagate 120gb 7200 rpm HDD

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

but the K6-III+ and the Voodoo 3 are waaaaay overkill.

I assume the idea of using the K6-III+ is that it can be easily and controllably throttled to an arbitrary degree using software. (Not that I have any idea how well that works.)

Reply 13 of 21, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

but the K6-III+ and the Voodoo 3 are waaaaay overkill.

I assume the idea of using the K6-III+ is that it can be easily and controllably throttled to an arbitrary degree using software. (Not that I have any idea how well that works.)

Correct. But that assumes he wants to run both DOS and Windows 9x games on it, and I think this machine is intended for DOS stuff, in which case the CPU would remain throttled.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the choice of a plus CPU is wise enough. He does not need to throttle, yet he has the choice if the need is there.
K6-III and K6-III+ performs the same at the same clockspeed. The plus can throttle, run cooler and uses lower power.
In short. The plus are great at building a time machine.

Reply 16 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats pretty much the reason for the k6-3+, lots of options with it, less power, less heat. The board has a bios mod for k6-3+ and 128gb hdd so it makes the most sense tgere too. Itll be interesting/fun to OC such old tech.

Since you guys say itll make a great 98 machine as well i will install 98se. No reason not to i guess.

I do have an ignorant question: are there things like chipset drivers and on-board device drivers? I cant seem to find them for this board.

As for UT maybe im thinking of Quake? It was some game like that. I read it here somewhere.

Reply 17 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
goodtofufriday wrote:

I do have an ignorant question: are there things like chipset drivers and on-board device drivers?

Yes. I think you might need the VIA 4-in-1 driver for full AGP functionality.

Reply 18 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This should be the drivers....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzzash5ZKLeK … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 19 of 21, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Thank you. Greatly appreciate it!