VOGONS

First post, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Note: I edited this from a post I made on the MSFN Fourms here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175901-lookin … ll-atx-pc-case/

Well I've gone and done something crazy...
I put a 2K - 4K gaming grade PC I built over the last 4 years... into a small ATX case from an ancient HP 8756C...

This is the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cKYXd7lJE

TL;DW

Surprisingly all the parts to my gaming rig PC fit snugly into the case (Except the GTX 1070) and runs just fine.
Now I'm already on my trip when I posted this, but there's 2 problems I have with this case.
1. The CPU cooler, PSU Casing, and GPU Cooler Shroud all physically touch each other.

2. The case has poor ventilation as the case was originally designed for a Pentium 3 era PC.

Naturally, with problems like these I don't plan to keep using this case like in the future so I was wondering one of two things.
1. Are there any other cases similar to this one whether retro or new? I had an old Pavilion 8580C back in the day I sold the case to, but I think the length was shorter than the 8756C's case I have now. If anyone has a 8756C or earlier/later Pavilion 8XXX model or similar styled and sized case, I might buy it as I want to do the same for a custom case build one day. 😀

2. Can someone suggest any tools that I could use to modify the metal casting for the case. I could cut some of the length off the edges of the cd/hdd cage to make the cpu cooler and the back of the GTX 1070 fit better, though the top still overlaps with the PSU.

I know I could build a new PC that would easily fit much better within my suitcase, but as I JUST bought the final part for this pc (The GTX 1070), so I'm clearly not interested at spending another $600 to do so at this time.
I'll make detailed measurements of the outside and internal space in the current case if you want me to.

Here's the specs of the PC inside for those who are wondering.
CPU: i7-4790 (non "K") @3.6GHz (stock speed)
CPU Cooler: I forgot the name of the CPU cooler, but somehow it's shorter than the 1070's cooler so it's not to important to list.
New GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1070 STRIX OC (at stock speed).
"Current" GPU: Sapphire HD Radeon 7970 OC (at stock speed) with broken fans.
RAM: PNY Anarchy 16GB x2 (32GB) at 2133MHz
HDD: 120GB SSD and 3TB HDD

Thanks for your help,
Jason M.

Also I still have the mobo and other parts for the Pavilion 8756c (except the 850MHz Pentium 3 it originally as I'm using it in my Win9x gaming build! 😄) plus ALOT of other PII - P4 era tech that's still good for retro gaming rigs that I could sell. I'll list them on my ebay page when I get back so if anyone wants them just let me know. ;P