VOGONS

What is the fastest sound card for Super Socket 7?

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZanQuance wrote:

Cool beans, have fun testing 😀
The Audigy2 ZS should do very well and outpace the other cards.

Well remember it's a poorly Super Socket 7 machine. Would be very interesting to do this again with a faster Pentium 3, like 600 MHz or something like that. But that's for another time 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 62 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated all the charts again!

Added the Audigy 2 ZS, and I'm glad I did, it is by fast the best sound Creative card!

So after testing and listening to all these cards, by personal picks are the Aureal Vortex 2 and the Audigy 2 ZS. For EAX the Audigy is better, for A3D the Vortex 2 is better.

DOS isn't much of a deal, with the SS7 platform having ISA, I recommend using two sound cards, one PCI, one ISA. Disable the ISA in device manager and get an audio switch box or mixer. As for the choice of ISA cards, too complex to answer in this video 🤣

A video with analysis is also live now: https://youtu.be/TC01uiyuJxI

Reply 63 of 68, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great job Phil! Thanx for this.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 64 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Great job Phil! Thanx for this.

Thanks 😁

Glad it's over, took me ages. But also glad I did it because I "found" the Audigy 2 ZS 😊

Reply 65 of 68, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Glad it's over, took me ages. But also glad I did it because I "found" the Audigy 2 ZS 😊

Phil, did Audigy 2 ZS installation process install SB16 emulation in Device Manager?

When I installed my Audigy 2 ZS in my BX system, it did not automatically install SB16 emulation.

Reply 67 of 68, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you Phil for this great writeup.
I'd be curious to know how much chipsets make a difference here, and in general performance on the SS7 platform.
ALi vs VIA.

Seems like a showdown that you would be the ideal candidate to perform as you are thorough and unbiased.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 68 of 68, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FYI, this post was about 1.5 years ago. Generally, necroposting is frowned upon here. As a matter of etiquette, lease limit your posting on threads that are more stale to information that is material to the topic and important.

There are some exceptions, but this is generally how the mods prefer things to keep threads organized.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder