VOGONS

First post, by Starlance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm new to the site and was looking to build a Super Socket 7 PC for some DOS and early windows gaming (The good ol' days)

I'm not a stranger to PC building but I made a large jump that pretty much passed over the pentium I and II era.

I've picked up some parts of ebay, can never find anything local in thrifts, etc.

Here is a list:
Asus P5A Rev 1.04 (Got this real cheap, was listed as a Shuttle Spacewalker but the board in the box was an Asus)
AMD K6-2+ 550mhz 2.0V
1 stick of Micron CL2 128MB Ram
Basic ATX Case with 400 watt PS

These I have lying around:
A Crystal ISA Sound Card with YMF262
3.5" Floppy
40GB IDE HD (I have lots of IDEs lying around)
40x CD-Rom

The part I'm not sure on is Video, I've picked up a few off ebay
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
Number Nine AGP Savage4 Xtreme DVI (I'd like to have the DVI)
Matrox G450 PCI

Now of course I can't use both AGPs, but can I use the Voodoo and the matrox together? (The matrox has DVI also)

Also please any other suggestions that you could give me would be great!

On a side note I also have NEC Versa 2650CDT, Awesome DOS gaming laptop with a Pentium MMX 150 in it and 84MB of ram, but looking for the docking port replicator with no luck, anyone seen one? It has a gameport on the replicator.

Thanks for reading and hope to be active on here getting my machine up and running and playing the good games!

Reply 1 of 16, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First up. Welcome....

If you have any problems running the CPU, you might have one of the board revisions that are too low.
Or you might have to update the BIOS to the newest, wich are a beta BIOS.
Or you can clock it at 500 mhz, just to see if that helps. I know I might be spreading bad news.
Though this might help you in getting the system up and running in the end.

About the GFX part. That I do not know. There is something about vga palette snooping in the BIOS.
Yet, this is as far as I remember. Somebody here, might know more than me about this.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use the Voodoo 3 hands down and what games that system is too slow for is better off on a newer pentium 3 or athlon xp system. SS7 is great as it has a very wide range of support from 386 era dos games all the way to 1999 or so win 9x.

Just to warm you though you need a power supply with the -5v rail for isa sound or you will have issues with a lot of older isa sound cards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 16, by Starlance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was really hoping to have DVI as the LCD I'd like to use has no VGA input. I would have liked to get a PCI Voodoo but can't seem to locate one.

I looked and It seems I have a power supply that has -5 .5A output, I'd imagine that's enough.

Reply 5 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Starlance wrote:

I was really hoping to have DVI as the LCD I'd like to use has no VGA input. I would have liked to get a PCI Voodoo but can't seem to locate one.

I looked and It seems I have a power supply that has -5 .5A output, I'd imagine that's enough.

So get an active vga to dvi agapter

Reply 6 of 16, by Starlance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
Starlance wrote:

Do these introduce lag at all?

Reply 7 of 16, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a sidenote, there seems to be a couple of cheap Matrox G400-Max on eBay at the moment.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8 of 16, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

If you have any problems running the CPU, you might have one of the board revisions that are too low.
Or you might have to update the BIOS to the newest, wich are a beta BIOS.

With the P5A, rev. 1.04 is the one to have. Newer revisions actually break full compatibility with the K6 plus processors. But yes, I believe the newest beta BIOS is necessary. I run a similar setup (Asus P5A 1.04, K6-2+ 550, 768mb ram, Voodoo3 3500). It runs great 😎

I will also join the consensus on the 3Dfx card.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 9 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Starlance wrote:

Very nice!

nforce4max wrote:

Just to warm you though you need a power supply with the -5v rail for isa sound or you will have issues with a lot of older isa sound cards.

You're right that this can be an issue with old isa sound cards, but there aren't many that are affected. The three of note are the PAS 16, SB 2.0, and LAPC-I.
http://www.flaterco.com/kb/PC_incompatible.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 16, by goodtofufriday

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Starlance wrote:
candle_86 wrote:
Starlance wrote:

Do these introduce lag at all?

Since I doubt you'll be twitch gaming itll be negligible.

A fixer of things. I also broke those things.

Reply 11 of 16, by Starlance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Very nice! […]
Show full quote
Starlance wrote:

Very nice!

nforce4max wrote:

You're right that this can be an issue with old isa sound cards, but there aren't many that are affected. The three of note are the PAS 16, SB 2.0, and LAPC-I.
http://www.flaterco.com/kb/PC_incompatible.html

Looks like I'll be ok the card doesn't even have a connection for -5 on the slot

Reply 13 of 16, by Starlance

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Cool! What's the Crystal card that you have? Acer or Turtle Beach?

I am unsure, it has a modem built in on the same card. I hope to ignore the modem, have been waiting to build it to see what drivers I'll need.

Reply 14 of 16, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:
Starlance wrote:

It might not even need to be active. If the monitor doesn't have a dedicated VGA input then it might still support the analog VGA signal through the DVI port. But I have no idea if that's the norm.