VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have a piii system with a 1.4gpz piiis and when playing kotor2 the cpu usage is maxed out and the game can slow down at times.
I don't want to upgrade to a newer system for just one game. But I don't mind a replacement for the fx5950 ultra.
I'm also using 175 drivers on my system.

Would a change of drivers or gpu help at all? I know when I lower the games setting the cpu usage goes down and the fps go up. Overclocking the gpu does nothing. Don't know, anyone have any idea to get a little more out of the system cpu wise when playing kotor2?

Specks
1.4gjz piii_s at 1.5ghz. ( I'd go higher but the sata card I have craps out)
512mb pc166 ram @143 2-2-2
Fx5950 ultra
Via tremor sound card
W2k

Reply 1 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try maybe a 4200ti or a 4600ti, you will have to try out different cards in combination to see witch one perform the best for your build

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 3 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be honest, that game is new enough that you should probably just run it on a newer system.

It is from early 2005... your PIII is from 2002. Athlon 64s and 3+Ghz P4s were the top end at the time, with Dual core CPUs coming by spring of that year. The PIII 1.4s is a nice CPU, but it isn't really ideal for a game from 2005.

Plus, KOTOR2 was known for having its share of issues. There are unofficial patches that fix many of the problems with the game and make it more enjoyable... they likely also make it work better on newer systems since they took several years to complete.

If you have a current system that you use for every-day computing, it will likely run the game better than your PIII+5950 unless it has some quirky compatibility issues.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Ozzuneoj wrote:

To be honest, that game is new enough that you should probably just run it on a newer system.

I all ready said that im not replaceing my system
it's my only system at home I have for playing games. and being old copy it has troble on new systems.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-08-15, 00:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mrau wrote:

when my athlon was nearing its EOL (was playing lineage back then) it made a difference of 20-30% what version of graphics drivers i used; older drivers are often better for older cpus;

I'll gice that a try

gave driver 97 a try, big boot in fps

Reply 6 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

it's my only system at home I have for playing games. and being old copy it has troble on new systems.

No problem, it was just a suggestion. It should work okay with newer computers if you use the tweaks and patches available online.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

No problem, it was just a suggestion. It should work okay with newer computers if you use the tweaks and patches available online.

it still has troble. andthing vista and newer and the game has truble. and likes to crash at times.
If it wernt for the pci sata card I have I OC the cpu some more and be fine.
And this is the on;y systejm I have I can okay games on.

Reply 10 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen a couple of posts around which drivers are the best to use with which graphics chipset (for each OS it was supported on).

Maybe not a bad idea to compile a small spreadsheet listing the most common graphics chipsets (or just the series, like Radeon 7000 series) and which driver is the best one to use for each OS it was supported on?
I'm thinking that ATI/AMD & Nvidia being the most common ones to start out with?

I'm not an expert on the various drivers and chipsets, so I'll leave it to someone with a bit more experience and that have benchmark testing results.

Reply 11 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try installing 93.71 driver.
Download mirror, big GREEN button on right : LINK 😀

PS. Did you uninstalled rest of the NV drivers ?
Having two different drivers (one older one newer), can result in problems.
I would try manually installing older drivers - autosetup may not override all newer files with older ones.

157143230295.png