VOGONS

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have been having this itch to build out a fully populated VLB machine for a long tome... and now I succeeded.
The goal was to build a fast 486 with a DX4 or AMD 5x86 CPU and 3 Vesa Local Bus cards, preferably operating at 0 WS, all memory/cache timings set to the tightest possible values.
I have tested this system for a couple of hours and have not met any issues. This, at least, proves that a solid, fast 3-VLB system can be built without major compromises.
I am currenty testing 40 Mhz operation (it might require introducing wait states) but am already content with this within-specs system 😀
It has
a solid VGA (Doom benches around 60 fps without sound, 57.4 with SB)
a fast SCSI subsystem
AND
fast LAN (Mike Brutman's MTCP works at around 710 kb/s)

Ingredients:

- Shuttle HOT 419 rev3 motherboard (with the last, AIP06 BIOS)
- AMD 5x86 ADZ CPU operating at 4x33 Mhz
- currently: 1 60ns 32 double-sided Samsung FPM RAM
- ADAPTEC AHA 2842A SCSI controller
- Dinomonster SCSI 50 pin to 2.5" SATA converter (costs an arm and a leg but works like a charm, still cheaper than the ACARD adapters)
- an ordinary 4500 RPM 60 GB 2.5" HDD (might replace it with an SSD)
- currently: a Cirrus GD-5429 VGA card

Attachments

• candidate VGA cards.jpg
    Filename
    candidate VGA cards.jpg
    File size
    3.36 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    These VGA cards were tested, the 2nd was chosen (Cirrus GD-5429)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Bocalan AMD NIC.jpg
    Filename
    Bocalan AMD NIC.jpg
    File size
    2.73 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    BocaLAN PCNET NIC
    File license
  • Bocalan AMD NIC chipshot.jpg
    Filename
    Bocalan AMD NIC chipshot.jpg
    File size
    3.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • SCSI monstrosity.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI monstrosity.jpg
    File size
    3.37 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Adaptec AHA-2842A SCSI card with the DinoMonster adapter
    File license
  • the working system.jpg
    Filename
    the working system.jpg
    File size
    3.05 MiB
    Views
    File license

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 2 of 21, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On your Ethernet speed test ... how was that measured? (Is that a raw TCP/IP sockets performance number reported by the mTCP speed test program or is that an FTP number? If it is FTP is that reading or writing?)

Reply 3 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I have not yet tried the mctp speed test. Will do so. I see it is necessary if to be compared with other results objectively.
Yet I have measured what is most important to me, a best scenario usage: FTP big file copy, from a Win 7 machine, Total Commander ftp session to the 486. The reverse direction is somehow* under 330 kb/s, but I rarely upload anything from retro machines to the modern ones.

* I suspect the beta 0.8 packet driver that works for this card has room for improvement, but at least there is a working packet driver for it 😀

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2016-08-17, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running MTCP spdtest...
Here's what I got between
this VLB system overclocked to 160 (4x40) Mhz
and
an IBM PS/1 2133 (CPU DX/2 Overdrive 66 running at 50 Mhz):

4194304 bytes both sent and received in 5.566 sec, effectively 753588 byte/sec, about 735.89 kb/s 😀

Reply 5 of 21, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think your card is actually faster than those numbers indicate; the bottleneck is probably the PS/1 on the other side.

Just for comparison purposes I have these measurements:

Clone 80386-40, ISA bus Davicom card, 32MB transfer: 690KB/sec sending, 957KB/sec receiving
Compaq Deskpro 433i with a 3Com 3C509B, 32MB transfer: 913KB/sec sending, 1010KB/sec receiving

The theoretical limit for TCP/IP running on a 10Mb/sec Ethernet is around 1130KB/sec by my calculations, ignoring the time needed to process the occasional ACK packet. Your machine should be doing at least as well as the Deskpro - try measuring against a faster machine and you should be able to saturate the wire.

Reply 7 of 21, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I tested my dual pentium pro's network system, the other computer was a new xeon system. The point of testing is to only test ONE thing at a time and to limit variables. Having a super fast system on one end precludes the possibility that system is slowing down the device under test.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it.
The 1st attempt was with a 4th gen Core i7 system running Win 7 x64, that would surely be adequate IF I could run DOS or FreeDOS on it 😀
The other option at hand is AMD Opteron 180 which already has Win98SE, I would rather take that instead.

Reply 9 of 21, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is it only a 10mbit vesa local bus Card ? it doesnt not seem to have any advantage over ISA Cards.
My 3Com Etherlink III is also be able to push nearly 0,9Mbyte/s in both directions/full duplex 10M.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 10 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, AFAIK the BocaLAN card is a true 32bit, 100 mbit card. It is another question whether its beta DOS packet driver is a good baseline for testing or I should run Windows
It just happened that the other computer able to run mTCP has a 10mbit NIC only, and is also only operating at 25x2 Mhz, running the ISA bus under 7.xxx Mhz. So I need a better machine on the other end of as well.

Reply 11 of 21, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PCNet-32 chips is only 10BaseT. I wouldn't be surprised if performance is no better than an ISA card. VLBus network cards were never popular and I think the BocaLAN was the only one ever made. If you want decent Ethernet on a 486, go EISA or PCI. You get proper bus mastering and 10/100Mbit support with either one.

SCSI on VLBus is debatable. The Adaptec VL cards don't support L1 writeback caching. I don't know how performance compares, but Adaptec did offer 68pin wide SCSI on their EISA SCSI cards. Both the EISA and VLB cards used the same AIC-7770 series controllers, so it would make a good benchmark comparison. I have Adaptec cards for both buses and a EISA/VL 486, I suppose I should get around to that. 😵

Reply 12 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My goal was not to have blazing-fast Ethernet, but to populate all VESA slots with "sensible" cards and have the best speed within the constraints this implies. I am well aware of the limitations, but the motherboard will not operate the 5x86 in WB mode anyway so it is no concern for me. SCSI still means a little less burden on the CPU even for a 486.
To sum up, I have a system that -now- reliably runs at 4x40 Mhz at all tightest timings, all VLB populated, added sound cards etc.
I have never heard or seen this before 😀

Reply 13 of 21, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jolaes76,

You've clearly busted the myth .. my VLB setup had just two slots used. I didn't even bother trying to use the third slot given all of the stories at the time.

Back then I was running an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro with 2MB of VRAM and a Buslogic BT-445S SCSI controller. The machine ran OS/2. I still have the same machine but it runs Redhat 6.1 today. I used it for some of the early mTCP debugging work. SCSI is a definite win compared to any other technology at the time. With an operating system that supported it you would get the advantage of tagged command queuing, which dramatically improves the throughput of the drive. (One command at a time is suitable for floppy drive systems, not hard drives ...)

When I do speed testing I always run against a faster machine running Linux. The packet driver is definitely a bottleneck though. By design, a packet driver requires two calls to give a packet to the waiting code; one call to obtain a buffer and the second call to indicate that the buffer has been filled. Sending only requires one call. Things have gotten more advanced over the years, but it's more than adequate for DOS.

Reply 14 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will see if changing to a Buslogic adapter and installing NT or Linux shows advantage over an ISA NIC. From the scarce info from ancient newsgroups it seems that multitasking is smoother because the NIC accesses memory at 32bit, so transfers are faster when several other devices are active at ISA. Ideally Win 3.11 fwg, but I am not sure about that. Anything MS above that, from Win95 first edition is too slow, I think.

Reply 15 of 21, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

The PCNet-32 chips is only 10BaseT. I wouldn't be surprised if performance is no better than an ISA card. VLBus network cards were never popular and I think the BocaLAN was the only one ever made.

There are other VLB network cards out there, I had one with connectors for three different network types (IIRC, token ring, LAN, and something else). Only 10BaseT though.

Reply 16 of 21, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As NJRoadfan said, the Bocalan card is 10BaseT as well (my memory failed on that).
However, it seems there can still be a speed advantage over ISA NICs under certain circumstances.

Reply 17 of 21, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

Can you tell me which NIC for VLB w/ 100Mbit were available?

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I

Reply 19 of 21, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh alright thx then

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I