VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so I've tried 3 diffrent system's and for the life of me I can't make any of them stable with 98SE or ME

System 1.
Pentium 3 800
SOYO 6BA+ IV (Intel 440BX)
512mb PC133
Geforce FX 5900XT
40gb Maxtor HD

System 2.
K6-3+ 450
Epox MVP3c2 (VIA MVP3)
384MB PC100
Voodoo Banshee
20gb Maxtor HD

System 3.
Athlon XP 1700+
ECS K7VTA3 V8.0 (VIA KT333)
512mb PC333 @ PC266
Radeon x800XT
80gb Western Digital

Parts used across all 3
Tested all with onboard IDE controllers
Tested all with Promise ATA133
Tested all with SiL3114 flashed to IDE Bios using a Western Digital 120gb SATA
Tested first two with SB Awe 64 Value
Tested all with SB Live
Tested all with SB Audigy Platnium
Tested All with 3com 10/100 Nic (tested SocketA with onboard nic as well)
Tested all with Trendnet Realtek based gigabit card
Tested all with Seasonic 650W PSU
Tested all with Antec True Power 350W

No matter what I can't make any of them stable, they all go haywire and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

They start off with random lockups, random reboots, BSOD's and general flakiness.

I ran memtest on all of my ram and i find no errors.

Anyone got any ideas its starting to get annoying

Reply 1 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh and to add, I installed 2k on these systems and it just works, no issues whats so ever, and I'd go 2k but I really want to use my Gravis Grip Pads with Multiport.

Reply 3 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Pushing it on the ram abit. Try 256mb or less.
But I never really been able to get 9x fully stable on a lot of older system ether, 9x just is not the most stable OS compared to NT4/5.
If you use 9x, install it and leave it alone, don't play around with the OS if you want a stable system. And go by the book with setting up the system. I find when you try to push the limits on a 9X system you end up braking things.

Reply 4 of 17, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried without the network and sound cards? Just a barebones install. Do all you can to try to make it crash. If it doesn't, then add the sound card and try again. If not, then add the network card and try again.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 17, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it problems when installing or is it once its booted in windows?

Whats the condition of the disc?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 7 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would definitely suggest using HIMEMX to limit the RAM to 448 MB or less. (In theory HIMEMX may improve stability just on its own.)

As for System 2, I had the impression that AGP support on SS7 boards was kind of questionable.

Reply 9 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win9x can be very hit or miss with hardware, I've had WinME work beautifully on systems as new as Pentium M + Intel 855 chipset, or fail hard on Athlon-based systems. You'll have to do a process of elimination by excluding hardware until you get stability, then slowly add back devices until you narrow down what is causing stability issues.

One other thing worth trying for newer chipsets is enabling DMA for the HDD and CD drives. You can do this in Device Manager.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 10 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I would definitely suggest using HIMEMX to limit the RAM to 448 MB or less. (In theory HIMEMX may improve stability just on its own.)

As for System 2, I had the impression that AGP support on SS7 boards was kind of questionable.

That's why it runs a Banshee, it supports no AGP features at all, its a glorified PCI card 🤣.

The issues arise about 24 hours into using the systems, then it all goes to hell thats what's really starting to confuse me

Reply 11 of 17, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you use any of those unofficial Windows Updates? If so, try without first.

I have the same stability issue with Windows 98 SE. I was finally able to track it down.

In my case, it was the video driver. I have a GeForce FX 5200 and using the newest Win 98 drivers would case some scrolling to lock up the system. I eventually found opening Device Manager can lock it up more consistently so I used that as a test.

Thanks to the people here, I fixed it with the latest 4x.xx series of drivers. I was using the latest 5x.xx series.

It's still not 100% stable but I can at least use it.

Reply 12 of 17, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to suggest PSU but it seems you've tried two different ones.

Any sign of bad caps? I just junked an ECS Socket A board for that reason.
5900XT and X800XT are going to have high power draw which will stress a marginal board.
Might be worth trying something basic or PCI based instead to rule out AGP issues.

Reply 13 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:
I was going to suggest PSU but it seems you've tried two different ones. […]
Show full quote

I was going to suggest PSU but it seems you've tried two different ones.

Any sign of bad caps? I just junked an ECS Socket A board for that reason.
5900XT and X800XT are going to have high power draw which will stress a marginal board.
Might be worth trying something basic or PCI based instead to rule out AGP issues.

I thought AGP issues as well, but I installed windows 2000 on these systems and ran 3dmark in a loop without any major hicups, they just work, so its not board level.

Reply 15 of 17, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An other thing to try is to do a clean install of windows 9x and immediately afterwords (no drivers) run prime95 for a few hours, wait a day or two and try again, if it fails its something to do with hardware, if not it could be software or drivers.

When is the instability occurring?
What software and games are you installing in the first 24hours, securom and other copy protections can cause havoc?

Reply 16 of 17, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clean, with an eraser, the contacts of all plug-in cards and ram.
Also check power supplies internally to make sure no bad caps there, if so then replace them.

I'm not sure 24 hours straight with 98 or me before crashing constitutes a major issue. I have never left computers on all day and night. Maybe
there are power issues at your place due to something coming on at a certain time?

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 17 of 17, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though they work on 2000, I would still try a basic PCI video card to rule that out.
I use the unofficial 98SE SP3 on both my Win98 machines and have only good things to say about it.