VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I found a 486 listed on my local auction, and there is nothink particular about it apart from it being black. One thing, however, cought my attention - it's some old ISA sound card that, judging by the back of the computer, is equipped with external DC power supply jack. Could any of you identify this card? I tried searching, but to no avail.

Reply 3 of 7, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh, never seen a sound card like that. My guess (without a close-up of the port or card), is that's some sort of connection used for something else the card maker sold to go with it. Maybe a unique set of powered speakers or some sort of surround sound speakers so you had to buy theirs to get surround. I can't imagine it would actually need external power for just being a sound card.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this an Escom machine ? Anyway, The DC jack could be simply there to power a pair of speakers, as Kodai said.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heres a picture of an Aztech sound card with a DC connector in the same place: http://svga.ks8.ru/Cards/Sound/Aztech%20AZT23 … 0%20ISA%20A.jpg

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen that before! I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was for powering speakers that came with the sound card.

What an interesting looking system. Are you trying to buy it? Was it some sort of audio/video system maybe? Do you have more pictures or a link 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 7 of 7, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://allegro.pl/stary-komputer-486dx-i64208 … 24.html#thumb/1

Here's the link to the listing. Nothing particular inside - apart maybe from ATI Mach32 ISA graphics card. I don't like the black case that much.