VOGONS

First post, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently bought an LS120 "Superdisk" drive on eBay. It seems not to work, but I've never had one of these before so I want to check if I'm doing anything wrong in testing it.
All my testing has been with 1.44MB HD floppies. I don't have any LS120 disks yet. My primary goal is to use this drive to make images of all my old floppies so I need the 1.44MB disks to work.

It is an internal IDE drive, but after some research I suspect that it may have originated as an external parallel or USB model that has been deshelled. Apparently the commonly available Imation brand external LS120 drives are really IDE drives with an adapter attached (scroll about halfway down the article to see the relevant photos):
http://goughlui.com/2013/05/02/tech-flashback … s-120-showdown/
My drive is model LKM-F933-1, apparently made by Matsushita. It looks similar to the drive in that article (including no front bezel and the configuration of the eject button and LED) but it's a different model number:

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
95.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
model-label.jpg
Filename
model-label.jpg
File size
103.7 KiB
Views
File license

The PCB has a Matsushita logo on it, and I've seen the drive called a "MATSHITA" somewhere on one of the PCs I tested it with:

PCB-matsushita-logo.jpg
Filename
PCB-matsushita-logo.jpg
File size
55.56 KiB
Views
File license

When I received the drive it was jumpered as CS:

jumper.jpg
Filename
jumper.jpg
File size
71.61 KiB
Views
File license

I notice one pair of pins is labeled "MDO". Does anybody know what that means? This page (applicability unknown):
http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprmb/h1692.htm
implies MDO should be left open, which is how it is on my drive.

I've tried it on 3 different motherboards and OSes. Previously I tried it on a VIA MVP3 based super-7 board (Tyan S1590) running Win98SE, then my modern AMD790X Phenom2 system running WinXP. On both of those the drive jumper was set to CS as shown above, and the LS120 was the only drive connected on it's cable. The cable I used in the WinXP machine was the same cable that normally plugs into my DVD drive so I'm sure that cable is good.

Both of those motherboards have a BIOS option to boot from LS120. Both seem to try to boot from it but neither has succeeded. They also have not been able to read any disks from the drive in their respective versions of Windows. They do see the drive and assign it a drive letter (A: or B:), but any attempt to read a floppy disk results in the "Disk not formatted, would you like to format it?" prompt.
The photo below shows what happens if I put a known working 1.44MB floppy in conventional drive A:, do a "dir" listing, then try to do the same thing in the LS120 drive B:

read error - same disk - regdrive-A LS120-B.jpg
Filename
read error - same disk - regdrive-A LS120-B.jpg
File size
61.92 KiB
Views
File license

I do not remember what OS this was under. It was probably the Win98SE box, maybe after exiting to DOS 7.1.

I have since switched the drive jumper to Master. It is now connected to an Intel L440GX+ server board with Win2k SP4 (fresh install).
The BIOS POST screen identifies the drive as an LS-120 VER5 00-(PM) UHD Floppy
Win2k control panel sees the drive and calls it a High-Capacity Floppy Disk Drive
This motherboard does not have any special BIOS options relating to LS120s, so I don't think it supports any special handling of them. It is having the same issues where the drive is recognized in Windows and is assigned a drive letter (A:), but it won't read disks.
When I get the "disk not formatted, would you like to format?" prompt, I have tried answering yes and letting it format the disk. I can hear the drive attempting to format the disk for several minutes, but in the end it gives a failure message, saying the disk cannot be formatted. The disk comes out feeling warm. When I put that disk back into a conventional drive, the original contents of the disk are still there. This is the same behavior I saw on the WinXP machine when I tried doing the same thing.
So it seems that the LS120 drive is failing to do any reading or writing whatsoever.

Do I need to have a driver installed for the LS120 drive to work correctly with conventional 1.44MB disks? Is there any configuration required, or are these drives supposed to "just work" with a simple Win98SE/2k/XP32 install? Am I correct in thinking that this drive is dead, or is there some step that I'm missing?

By any chance is there a common cause of this type of failure that can easily be repaired? The drive sounds like it goes through all the motions of "working", but the magnetic bits just aren't going anywhere. If it's dead I'll probably just return it but if there's a known fix I'd consider that instead.

Reply 1 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I originally posted a short comment about this in the "bought new hardware" thread, and there were some responses there so I'll reply to them here.

bjt wrote:

Try to get a Panasonic/Matsushita drive rather than a Mitsubishi. I have both and the former are much faster.

It appears to be a Matsushita (I didn't mention that in the post you were replying to).

Lukeno94 wrote:

Not something as daft as a dodgy cable, is it?

I don't think so. One of the systems I tested with was my main XP machine and I connected the drive using the same cable that normally has one of my DVD drives attached, and it has always worked with the DVD. It was attached as the only drive on the cable with jumper set to Cable Select. That system (and 2 others) seem to have no problem recognizing the drive, they just doesn't read or write disks successfully, but again I don't know if there's some driver or other setup issue that I've missed.

luckybob wrote:

With windows 7, formatting the disk doesn't work. windows will format it as it would a usb drive. this is unreadable by other floppy drives. My work around was to boot up dos in a virtual machine and format it from there. I just told the host to pass through a: to the ls-120 and it works.

My attempts have been with Win98SE, WinXP32 SP3, and currently Win2k SP4. (I didn't mention this in the post you were replying to)

Reply 2 of 8, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using these drives in pure DOS requires an ATAPI driver.
It should "just work" in 98SE and newer. It will get allocated a drive letter after your HDD rather than A: or B:.
Immediately after you insert the disk, you should hear a few seconds of "drive working" noises as the head calibrates or something.
Pretty sure I have mine jumpered as slave on the same IDE channel as a CD-ROM drive.

Reply 3 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. On my systems Win98SE and 2k are allocating B: to the drive, but in any case it's clearly not working.

I received an external USB drive in the mail and I found the exact same IDE model inside. This one works without issue on the same 98SE and Win2k setups, so the first drive was definitely bad.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also check vogonsdrivers, you might find what you (will) need in the future.
Also there is a guy at msfn who put a LOT of work in researching LS120 issues, it is worth reading:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152567-ls-120 … -win98-and-dos/

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 8, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently broke one of my LS-120 drives by inserting a floppy with bad surface. The surface of the floppy was scraped off by the read head, fouling it.

Previously, inserting a disk would give me a few clicks followed by a "head moving" noise, I guess as it located track 0.
Now I just get the clicks and nothing. Windows says there's no disk inserted.
Will try cleaning the heads and get back to you with the results, maybe your non-working drive just has dirty heads.

Reply 6 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The seller's identity is somewhat apparent from the photos and info I posted, so in fairness to them I want to update this thread.
I contacted the seller about the drive symptoms and they quickly sent another drive, and that drive booted right up in my super7 machine without issue. I haven't used it extensively but it's obviously working.
---

I ran into that msfn.org thread when I was doing some research but I skimmed over a lot of it. I should read it more closely some time. These drives are very cool.

Earlier I did some preliminary testing of dumping disk images with the other LS120 that came from another seller.
The worst disk I tried is an old game disk that hasn't worked since about 1995. I looked at the disk and could see that it has 2 concentric rings that are miscolored, where the disk was obviously damaged somehow. I tried to image that disk in a conventional drive and it behaved as expected - the middle of the disk works fine but the beginning and end (where those rings are) just spat out hundreds of I/O errors. About 1/3 of the disk was unreadable.
So then I popped that disk into the LS120. It breezed through the whole disk, first try, 100% image dumped. Maybe it was a -little- slower than on a good disk, but I could hardly even tell. Wow.
I found 2 more bad disks that also died in the 90s and it dumped those as easily as good disks. Another 2 disks were found bad in a box of disks I recently bought, and the LS120 imaged those too. 5/5 so far.

Superdisk - where have you been all my life? I love you.

What a sleeper technology this was. It's an archivist's dream, a revolution in reliability, if more people had these in their heyday they wouldn't hate floppy disks. Even today their ability to read the unreadable is not widely known, I can only say thanks to this forum for cluing me in about these things.

Reply 7 of 8, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:
I recently broke one of my LS-120 drives by inserting a floppy with bad surface. The surface of the floppy was scraped off by th […]
Show full quote

I recently broke one of my LS-120 drives by inserting a floppy with bad surface. The surface of the floppy was scraped off by the read head, fouling it.

Previously, inserting a disk would give me a few clicks followed by a "head moving" noise, I guess as it located track 0.
Now I just get the clicks and nothing. Windows says there's no disk inserted.
Will try cleaning the heads and get back to you with the results, maybe your non-working drive just has dirty heads.

Well I tried cleaning the heads, and the drive makes the right noises when inserting the disks, but gets loads of read errors. Looks like a new drive for me.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tecchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote on 2016-08-16, 09:40:
Using these drives in pure DOS requires an ATAPI driver. It should "just work" in 98SE and newer. It will get allocated a drive […]
Show full quote

Using these drives in pure DOS requires an ATAPI driver.
It should "just work" in 98SE and newer. It will get allocated a drive letter after your HDD rather than A: or B:.
Immediately after you insert the disk, you should hear a few seconds of "drive working" noises as the head calibrates or something.
Pretty sure I have mine jumpered as slave on the same IDE channel as a CD-ROM drive.

This isn't true. Systems that support an LS-120 in the BIOS work totally fine in Dos. I used to own one before Windows XP came out. Motherboard BIOSes I had at the time had built-in support (selecting floppy type, the list had LS-120 as well as a 2.88MB Floppy option). Without BIOS support, yes you need a driver such as this one:

https://www.br-automation.com/en-au/downloads … s-120-doswin3x/