VOGONS

First post, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an AWE64 Value ISA card in a Win 98 MMX233 Voodoo3 box.

For the life of me, I can't get Croc: Legend of the Gobbos working with wave effects. From the readme.

17. Croc does not play ambient sound effects or plays random MIDI notes […]
Show full quote

17. Croc does not play ambient sound effects or plays random MIDI notes

Ambient sound effects are only supported on AWE32 and AWE64
SoundBlaster sound cards (when properly configured). If you have one
of these cards but are not hearing ambient sounds (such as tweeting
birds, wind, etc.), open the 'Multimedia' Control Panel, select the
MIDI tab and check that you have either the 'MIDI for Creative
Advanced Wave Effects Synthesis for AWE32' or the 'Creative MIDI
Instrument Mapper' selected.
If these options are not available, you may need to reinstall the
drivers which were supplied with your sound card. The latest patches
and updates to Creative Labs drivers are available from their web
site at http://www.creativelabs.com

18. Croc does not play reverberating sound effects in the caves

Ambient sound effects are only supported on AWE32 and AWE64
SoundBlaster sound cards (when properly configured). In order to
support this function the 'Creative Mixer' must be installed from the
disc that came with your sound card and the 'Full Duplex' operation
must be disabled. From the 'System' Control Panel, select the Device
Manager tab, and expand the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers'
section. Open the audio device: for example, 'Creative AWE64 Gold
16-Bit Audio (SB16 compatible)' and select the Settings tab, ensuring
that the Full Duplex checkbox is cleared.

Ambient sound effects work fine. However, reverb doesn't work without the Creative drivers + Creative mixer. Installing Creative Mixer is not enough, the WaveSynth driver must also be installed.

Once WaveSynth is installed, the sound effects in Croc become extremely quiet, with the music and ambient sound effects drowning them out. The ambient sound effects have no volume control, so something is wrong. I'm out of ideas. Sound works fine with the Microsoft supplied driver, except Wave Effects (such as reverb) is not supported.

When the sound effects are quiet, reverb DOES work. It's just extremely quiet. Creative Mixer says that Croc is setting the reverb levels down to 5%, for some reason. Changing them as the game is running does nothing because Croc just resets the levels as soon as it resumes.

Toggling full duplex doesn't do anything.

Reply 2 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can give it a try, I've got an AWE32 with 8MB RAM. I have a later release of the game though, which only supports D3D as far as I remember, so maybe they cut that feature out (hopefully not).

Are you sure it's not a matter of the game needing more RAM on the soundcard? Eradicator used similar effects and offered two options, one for 512K and one for 2MB (maybe 4MB, can't recall at the moment).

Reply 3 of 11, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would very much appreciate that. You can probably check the readme, I doubt they would take it out. If they did, I can send you my original release or something.

You won't even have to go into the game if you don't want to, the menu sound effects are also extremely quiet when the Wavesynth driver is running. Just make sure Creative Mixer is installed and full duplex is disabled (which doesn't seem to do anything).

It's possible, but if it was a RAM problem, I would assume the sound effects just wouldn't work.

Reply 4 of 11, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this here.

> For MIDI songs, the WaveSynth/WG MIDI is too quiet, Creative Music Synth > doesn't sound good, AWE64G MIDI Out doesn't play an […]
Show full quote

> For MIDI songs, the WaveSynth/WG MIDI is too quiet, Creative Music Synth
> doesn't sound good, AWE64G MIDI Out doesn't play anything, and AWE64G
> Synth and Instrument Mapper are the only ones that sounds good. (They
> both sound the same)

- I don't know why the WS/WG MIDI sounds so quiet. Does the same thing
on my AWE64 Gold as well.
Just as well I rarely use WS/WG, it's a bit
pathetic when compared to Yamaha SoftSynth.

Perhaps an AWE64 bug? I'm curious to hear how your AWE32 fares.

Reply 5 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I went ahead and installed the game and the Creative Mixer and Wavesynth from this CD: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … menustate=42,35

It was smooth sailing, all of the ambient effects worked, as well as the reverb effects (although they are a bit subtle) and I didn't notice anything wrong with standard Sound Effects or Music. I never knew about these features and I've played this game since I was a kid so this was a nice discovery!

Yeah, scratch the RAM thing, I had to read what you wrote again for it to register properly :p. It could be a driver thing, so try the disc I mentioned and if all else fails, format, reinstall Windows and try again 😵 . I doubt it is an AWE64 related bug.

Reply 6 of 11, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you're saying that you heard the sound effects in the menu? That's already a difference from mine.

I'll try that disc. What exactly did you install? Did you install the WS upgrade (WSYNTHWG WaveSynth / WaveSynth-WG upgrade for Sound Blaster 16/32/AWE32)?

Thank you for trying it.

Reply 8 of 11, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, same problem. The sound effects are there, but too quiet compared to the music and ambient sound effects.

Let me ask you this. Disabling wave synth driver in device manager brings the levels back to normal on my system. If you do that, will you let me know if your sound effects are louder than before? The ambient sound effects and CD audio levels don't change, only the sound effects, when this happens.

I had to use the AWE64 directory because the WS upgrade for AWE32 crashes the system, which is to be expected perhaps.

By the way, here is how loud the sound effects are supposed to be (and how loud they are with the WaveSynth driver disabled on my AWE64).

Reply 11 of 11, by Apples555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And just to make things more interesting, I realized today that the right CD audio channel is dead, the only sound in that channel is reverb (?) from the left channel.

Cable is regular IDE CD audio and works fine with onboard. The AWE64 does have two CD ins...hmm...

I also have a CT2260 in the mail so perhaps that will solve my issues, albeit without AWE.

Thank you for your help F2. If anyone has an AWE64 running, I would appreciate if you could give Croc a try in your system.

EDIT: I found the CD audio problem, it is a pinout mistake on the AWE64, as mentioned on the VOGONS wiki.

SoundBlaster CD audio […]
Show full quote

SoundBlaster CD audio

This tiny connector looks similar to JST but is slightly smaller and was used on Creative Labs sound cards as the earliest CD audio connector.

The pinout for this connector is O-L-G-R, with R being pin 4. (O is Open, or "not connected".)

Apparently the connector changes on AWE64 cards, and becomes L-O-G-R, as if the MPC pin layout was used by accident.