VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obliviously i dont use this PC mainly for DOS games. But i like the SB16 Emu. After i unistalled 98se and went with ME cause it works a lot better on my system the Emu cant be found. Even on a XP install it wont detect it, and ive gotten the SB16 to be detected on XP before. Anyone have any idea why?

Last edited by Trank on 2016-08-16, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 21, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, i mean that windows itself does not see the SB16 Emu at all. Yet i have been using it for 2 years before this install of windows. Its one of the Value models.

Ive uninstalled and completely cleaned out the drivers. Moved the card to different PCI slots.

Reply 3 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trank wrote:

Sorry, i mean that windows itself does not see the SB16 Emu at all.

Still not clear. What are you looking at exactly in order to determine that "windows itself sees the SB16 Emu" ? Are you looking at Device Manager? What are you looking at in Device Manager?

Reply 4 of 21, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah in device manager everything about the Live is there. Gameport, WDM driver. All that, but no matter what it will not detect/install/recognize that there should be SB16 emu. Its just not there at all.

Reply 5 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What, exactly, are you seeing in the device manager in Windows 98 SE that you are not seeing in Windows ME?

More importantly, is there any particular DOS program you have been able to run with sound under 98SE that does not work in Windows ME?

Reply 6 of 21, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Sound Blaster 16 Emulation. I need it so most of the DOS games will actually get some decent music. All of my DOS games run perfect but without the SB16 Emulation most of the games are either general midi or no sound at all.

Reply 7 of 21, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OP probably meant that this (virtual) device is missing: "Creative SB Live! SB16 Emulation".
Another Sound Blaster Live! SB16 Emulation thread

I can't comment much about getting it to work there though. Try some other drivers, from The LiveWare 3 CD maybe.. dunno. Good luck.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 9 of 21, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SB16 emulation part doesn't show up under sound and game controllers I think, but elsewhere in the list.

http://gillius.org/grfx/setup1.gif

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 10 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When under Win98, it sometimes help installing liveware3, removing all of the Live devices and rebooting. Then win98 will install everything again, including SB16.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 21, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I should be more specific. I meant the vxd from Liveware 3.
SB Live! Liveware 3.0 CD

So, what CT model do you have and which vxd version works with it?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 15 of 21, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh the VxD from liveware 3, i see what you mean. But i ended up using the VxD from https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … &menustate=35,0

I have the CT4870 a NEC OEM model. Which seems to be the full Live! Value without anything cut from it.

Reply 16 of 21, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, in that case, Jayceebee said in the linked thread above that LW3 version won't work with it anyway. Noted for future reference. 😀

Reply 18 of 21, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trank wrote:

The Sound Blaster 16 Emulation. I need it so most of the DOS games will actually get some decent music. All of my DOS games run perfect but without the SB16 Emulation most of the games are either general midi or no sound at all.

Coincidentally, I'm working with SB16 Emulation recently and have a minor issue with one of my games. I don't hear gunfire sounds during the Duke Nukem II into scene and I think some explosion sounds are missing from the game. I'm using IRQ5. Enabling Adlib makes gunfire sounds work in the game but still not during the intro scene. Music and other sounds are working. I'm not sure if it's a SB16 Emulation issue or just my configuration. Could you try and see if you experience the same issue? Duke Nukem II has a shareware version if you don't already have the game. thanks

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 19 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:

Coincidentally, I'm working with SB16 Emulation recently and have a minor issue with one of my games. I don't hear gunfire sounds during the Duke Nukem II into scene and I think some explosion sounds are missing from the game. I'm using IRQ5. Enabling Adlib makes gunfire sounds work in the game but still not during the intro scene. Music and other sounds are working. I'm not sure if it's a SB16 Emulation issue or just my configuration. Could you try and see if you experience the same issue? Duke Nukem II has a shareware version if you don't already have the game. thanks

The thread at Duke Nukem 2 ADPCM fix? would seem to pretty much indicate that your problem is utterly and completely unrelated to Mr. Trank's problems with Windows.