VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but was hoping someone could help.

I'd like to be able to download certain files I'm storing online, straight to my Windows 98 systems. For some reason though, the download speed is limited to a max of about 45KB/s. If I download the same file from an XP or newer system, the file downloads at my full connection speed.

One thing I noticed is that the LAN card was set to "Half Duplex". After changing it to "Full Duplex", pages started loading a lot faster, however the download speed is still limited to 45KB/s. I've tried this on a few Windows 98 systems, and they all run into the same problem, so I've ruled out a hardware fault as the cause.

Does anyone know of a setting I could change that might solve this? I'm running Opera v10, but have also tried IE6 and experienced the same problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 😀

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 2 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Same result over FTP, max download of around 45KB/s.

Haven't done anything to MaxMTU. Is there something you think I should try?

Thanks. 😀

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no shortage of guides regarding the adjustment of MaxMTU; it used to be very common back in the dial-up days. The EasyMTU program might be the way to go.

Reply 4 of 6, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that ie limited my download speed, so I used another browser (that used the ie engine), if I remember right, there were an option about how many packets did I want to receive, changing that number made The download speed from 30 - 40KB/s to freakin 1MB/s

Reply 5 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

There's no shortage of guides regarding the adjustment of MaxMTU; it used to be very common back in the dial-up days. The EasyMTU program might be the way to go.

Thanks a lot Jorpho, EasyMTU did the trick. 😁 Everything's working at full speed now. 😀

Thanks again!

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA