SSD sound

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
Would it be possible to have a good old kind of ide disk sound when the sata SSD of a vintage pc is running? Could I use the LED voltage output to make some noise beeper? 😁
Thank

Last edited by 386SX on 2016-08-18, 21:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 23, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trank wrote:

Well a SSD doesn't have any moving parts. So is it even possible to somehow make it nosier?

I know, it's that I like so much both the old IDE and floppy disk sound to have. Also the 56k modem one is another sound I like! 😁

Reply 3 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What would happen if you plugged a PC speaker into the HDD LED header? 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 23, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

What would happen if you plugged a PC speaker into the HDD LED header? 😀

Maybe the speaker resistance would be a problem? Or maybe the 5V ? voltage of the led would not be that good?

Reply 5 of 23, by Hu1kamania

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trank wrote:

Well a SSD doesn't have any moving parts. So is it even possible to somehow make it nosier?

I think the idea is to intercept the the HDD LED signal from the motherboard, and use it to prompt artificial HDD noise. 😎

Reply 6 of 23, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hu1kamania wrote:
Trank wrote:

I think the idea is to intercept the the HDD LED signal from the motherboard, and use it to prompt artificial HDD noise. 😎

Cause an SSD on a vintage pc is like a 1970 muscle car with a modern electric engine into it... just bad. 🤣

Reply 8 of 23, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sammy wrote:

Some tryed to use the hdd-led (with driver circuit) as input for an Relais.

so if the Led flashes, the relay does *click click clickclickclick click click"

I imagined but I wanted some realistic disk sound. Maybe I will still look for some UDMA33 disks until they will run for that win9x machine.

Reply 10 of 23, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboard has a current limiting resistor (because wires connect directly to LED). It is not 100% sure if the resistor is on 5V side or GND side of the pin, and if the 5V is switched on/off or the GND side. Maybe an optocoupler in place of the LED will provide isolated control with higher current drive ability.

As for the noise, how about cell phone vibration motor?

Reply 11 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Hu1kamania wrote:
Trank wrote:

BMW called, they want there idea back.

Reply 12 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I'm not sure what exactly you could use to generate a "realistic" sound, but I do very much like the idea.

A walkman with a tape recording of a real HDD. Talk about vintage sound.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13 of 23, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The immediate problem I see with simply booking up a buzzer speaker in place of an LED is that the LED is likely DC where as speakers are AC. Hooking up DC to a speaker would not be good for it, especially for prolonged periods of time. It basically just causes the speaker to "turn on" rather than move in and out like it is supposed to to generate sound.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Hooking up DC to a speaker would not be good for it, especially for prolonged periods of time.

That's true, but hasn't this been done already in the old days of radio (crystal radio sets, audion receivers, etc.) ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 23, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's funny, i have a weird issue with a modem and a cf card, the modem speaker makes "hard disk noises" when there is activity, i think it's cool but still a weird thing.

I made a video, probably you will need headphones to hear the noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lby4p8g9A

Reply 16 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Hooking up DC to a speaker would not be good for it, especially for prolonged periods of time.

That's true, but hasn't this been done already in the old days of radio (crystal radio sets, audion receivers, etc.) ?

The standard trick is to use a coupling capacitor.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 23, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hook up a Transistor to the HDD IDE + Pin and Drive a Relay with it. Don't forget a flyback diode
Every Time a LED Blink occurs the Relay is clicking 😳

Poor Man's HDD Soundsimulator:
BK_SRD.jpg

Arduino Relay Module 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 18 of 23, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Jo22 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

The standard trick is to use a coupling capacitor.

Motherboard drives the PC speaker current just on and off directly without AC coupling. No smoke and flames seen yet. Of course home stereo speakers are not meant to be driven with DC.

Reply 19 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything resembling an HDD is going to require digital audio samples.

I've seen software emulators with emulated sounds for disk access before, but that's quite a bit easier to pull off than hardware.

My big-red-switch 486