VOGONS

SSD sound

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If someone wanted to simulate a vintage "slow 80GB hard drive running Vista with 512MB RAM" you could just record 30 second of solid hard disk access noise and have it play on a loop on a phone or music player the entire time you are using the system.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21 of 23, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

If someone wanted to simulate a vintage "slow 80GB hard drive running Vista with 512MB RAM" you could just record 30 second of solid hard disk access noise and have it play on a loop on a phone or music player the entire time you are using the system.

Funny, but no, man. The noises do serve an actual function besides nostalgia.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 22 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know. When a DOS machine boots up, I can hear the moment when himem.sys gets
loaded and checks the memory, and then when DOS goes on to load further files.
I don't want to have this replaced by random noise. It simply confuses me. Especially when I run Compress.
Either the real thing or silence. Hearing a relays clicking is nice (I love to tinker with them),
but in this case it is rather blasphemic. And no comment to the Vista thing. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 23, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one of these (from somewhere else though) that, given the right voltage, can produce a buzzing sound similar to an old disk. Only requires power.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Pack- … 1538601928.html