VOGONS

EPROM burner and "blank" BIOS chips

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm, just an idea... If you combine 2 different 32K BIOSes into 1 64KB file and bend the highest address select pin of the BIOS chip from the socket, you would be able to choose between these 2 BIOSes by applying 5V or Ground to the bent pin when starting the machine. You can create a sort of TURBO switch for that purpose )

Reply 21 of 29, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have that also, it was my first one. In general the Genius is good for newer chips, especially flash. But it cannot do EPROM chips that require higher voltages to write.

I see. Well that's ok I guess, since I would be using it exclusively for eeprom chips used on socket 7 and newer - maybe some late 486 board that support flashable chips.

Reply 22 of 29, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Quick Tips for all:
- Don't over expose the eproms in the UV eraser. Just about 20-30 minutes are fine. (over expose damage eproms forever)
- If you plan to program eproms, the best programmers for a complete retro experience are the "parallel port" ones,
Willem programmer pcb50c clones are really great!

this ugly S.O.B
178.970x0.jpg

Eproms use 12 o more volts, parallel port can handle this. if you have problems, the pcb50c have an external input for DC power source.
Use a 12V / 2A wallcharger.

The latest revision of the software programmer (very hard to find) can handle a bunch of chips (eeproms, eproms, pic, avr, flash) 😎
Download

For programming, I use a Pentium III 500Mhz, 256Mb RAM with winXP-SP3, works like a charm!

Keep your "burning" hearts! 🤣

Regards!

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5

Reply 23 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have that also, it was my first one. In general the Genius is good for newer chips, especially flash. But it cannot do EPROM chips that require higher voltages to write.

I see. Well that's ok I guess, since I would be using it exclusively for eeprom chips used on socket 7 and newer - maybe some late 486 board that support flashable chips.

Yea it's perfect for that!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 25 of 29, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

If I make a request, can you write a bios and send it to me?
Wait, does anyone else do this? I think I can repair a 486 VLB board with one is all.

I also considered asking an acquaintance to burn a couple of EEPROM's for me, and in the end just decided to buy the TL866CS MiniPro myself - you're looking at about $40 US (shipped).
The EEPROM's are very cheap, depending on what you need.

That way, when the need arises, you can just burn your own EEPROM's - it's not something that you will use every day, but it does come in handy.

Reply 26 of 29, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

Wait, does anyone else do this? I think I can repair a 486 VLB board with one is all.

I think keropi burns roms and BIOS files. You can PM him.

Reply 27 of 29, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

I can burn EPROMs, but depending on where you are located shipping may be an issue. From my location to certain parts of Europe, it can be expensive (e.g. starting at $30 for the most basic, untracked form of shipment).

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 28 of 29, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

I can burn EPROMs, but depending on where you are located shipping may be an issue. From my location to certain parts of Europe, it can be expensive (e.g. starting at $30 for the most basic, untracked form of shipment).

Hence, my suggestion to rather acquire an EEPROM burner. In the long run, it will work out much cheaper.

Reply 29 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ Agreed

You might not need it right away, but one day it will come in super handy 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website