VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm wanting to get into testing mobo's (outside of cases) to post but kinda green on the subject. Can't seem to find either non-expensive test benches or some "plug in" buttons for turning on/off/reset/power to mobo.
Rather not venture into tapping screw drivers on the power off/on pins if you know what I mean. Any helpful hints out there?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can pull a power switch from an old case complete with wire and jumper. I keep a spare in my toolbox just for these purposes. And I just use a flat table with an anti-static bag under the motherboard. You can always use a motherboard box to raise it up so when you put cards into the slots, there is overhang clearance.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 10, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I test them on wooden table with overhang on edge, but it is not great because it is not thoroughly grounded. But it works, I guess? Also I don't test motherboards too often, because 90% PCs I have in case and 90% loose mobos are dead. Which reminded me I wanted to fix that 286 board with leaked battery.

Reply 4 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have cut a notebook box to fit CD-ROM and Floppy inside. Motherboard is on top. PSU in on the right side of the box. When I get time I'll try to make whole thing from wood.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Motherboard box FTW 😀

^^This

And I wouldn't put the mobo on an antistatic bag when powering it up.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup works great. It's only on newer gear, like P4, that I like the board to be screwed down. Otherwise the cooler will flex the board and the contact between cooler and CPU will actually be reduced and then the chip could throttle.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Motherboard box FTW 😀

^^This

And I wouldn't put the mobo on an antistatic bag when powering it up.

How come?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> And I wouldn't put the mobo on an antistatic bag when powering it up.

Some people are afraid as they think the electrostatic bag can cause shorts because it is conductive. But not even in the megaohms range any resistance can be measured on such a bag. The typical electrostatic bag is too highly resistive to have an effect.

1+1=10