VOGONS

First post, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going to be running three separate systems. They are as follows:
System 1: Celeron 1400mhz on a socket 370 HP Lomita micro atx board, paired with two sticks of ram, one hard drive, one PCI GF 4 MX440, and a Aureal Vortex 2.

System 2: Slot A Athlon 850mhz on a MS-6167, paired with two sticks of ram, one hard drive, one AGP Kyro II or GF3 TI200, and either SB Live or AWE64.

System 3: Slot 1 slocket kit paired with Celeron 900mhz or P3 1000mhz FSB 100 on a Intel SE440BX-2, paired with two sticks of ram, one hard drive, one AGP Kyro II or 3DFX Banshee, and either SB Live or AWE64.

The cases will have one cd drive and also a couple of fans. Question is, given the current issue with modern supplies and watts/amps being provided on the 3.3 and +5 volt rails being so low, would 130 watts total on those two rails be considered good enough to run the above systems you guys think? I have older power supplies here, but I was wanting to put new ones in, something like the Antec Basiq 350, which I know can provide at least 130 watts between the 3.3 and +5 rail. Any opinions?

Reply 1 of 4, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Focusing on the 5V rail, Seasonic M12II 520 or (industrial) SS-500 ES gives +5V@24A, but it's not far from the Antec Basic 350 or (industrial) Seasonic SS/SSP 300/350 ST/ET variants (+5V@20A).

Actually I'm quite sure any of these will be enough, unless you're putting GHz+ Athlon with 50W+ power consumption on its own (don't remember which one started into this range). Coppermines and Tualatins are rated 33watts TDP or lower, so you'll be safe there.

The graphics aren't really a threat either, there was a post with estimated numbers on these (probably mine, sourced from somewhere on the net). Though I suggest adding a fan on the Banshee if it didn't have one already -- small passive heatsink is really not enough to keep it cool)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 4, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah pretty much any card I will use either has or is modded for active cooling. My Banshee is all decked out with a fan and also ram heat sinks, same as my Kyro II cards.

Reply 3 of 4, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to replace my Banshee under warranty back in 1998 due to artefacts that must be caused by overheating. Met some executive/officer (from Singapore's Creative Tech maybe, though I didn't realize it at the time). I was sitting in the waiting room (at the service center, but I did feel like a patient 🤣), holding the whole box with the Banshee's face and he wanted to take a look at it. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd use a quality new power supply. Nothing there is going to be THAT taxing on a 5v rail. The only time +5v becomes an issue is when the board has a special connector for it and you are using a high power cpu.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.