VOGONS

First post, by Arkzyw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I have a little trouble deciding, so I'd like to ask for a little advice here.
I want fastest possible AGP card compatible with Windows98se(I'm using these unofficial SP if that changes anything), and not producing issues with slightly older games (lets say 1998+, for even older ones I have second PII rig). CPU is Sempron 3000+(socket A) and 2GB DDR Ram. I'm dual-booting with Win XP(for newer games).
I want to able to run games like Doom 3, Gothic 3 etc. quite comfortably, but also to play these slightly older ones without issues.
I was thinking about 3 cards I can easily get:
Radeon 9800XT - looks to be most compatible, but weaker than the other 2
GeForce 6800XT
Radeon X800XT - seems fastest, but what about drivers ? In Catalyst 6.2 I see there is "beta support" for these cards, but does it really work, or will it produce a lot of issues ? Anyone tried ?

Or maybe there are some other cards I should consider ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 22, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like the Catalyst 6.2 will work according to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/142076-win98- … r-ati-x800x850/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 22, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Radeon 9800 series and the Geforce 6800 series are the last to officially support windows 98.

Yes Catalyst 6.2 has beta driver for x800 im not sure how well that will work since those cards had a lot of bugs with official drivers on xp (for me anyways).

There are modified driver to support Nvidia 8400 PCIe, I have them and I can upload it if you want, I have never tried it yet though.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 4 of 22, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^^are they official or unofficial I thought that the 6800 was the last

Reply 5 of 22, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BFG made a special edition of 82.16 specifically for their card under W98 www.outfoxed.net/98-drivers/NVIDIADispl ... 16)int.exe. They are not official from nvidia, they are from BFG.

There were some subsequent drivers modded unofficially by fans for later cards including the 7800GS (unofficial 82.69 is the latest that I know of) http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE
http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.TXT

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arkzyw wrote:

I'm dual-booting with Win XP(for newer games).
I want to able to run games like Doom 3, Gothic 3 etc. quite comfortably, but also to play these slightly older ones without issues.

But those games will run under XP, and will probably run much better with a faster card.

Is there something you definitely want to play in Windows 98 that you already know won't run in XP?

Reply 8 of 22, by Arkzyw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys. Didn't know that even 7800GS can work with Win98. I guess I'll try it. One more question though - if i get 512MB one, will it work, or can produce some serious issues ? Just need a confirmaton, and in the meantime will do some reading.

Jorpho wrote:
But those games will run under XP, and will probably run much better with a faster card. Is there something you definitely want […]
Show full quote
Arkzyw wrote:

But those games will run under XP, and will probably run much better with a faster card.

Is there something you definitely want to play in Windows 98 that you already know won't run in XP?

I remember having issues with some games after moving to XP these years ago, and there are still a lot of games I haven't played yet, so I want both 98/XP just to be sure, that everything will work.

Reply 9 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arkzyw wrote:

and there are still a lot of games I haven't played yet

There will never be a time when this is not true. There will also always be something that won't work correctly due to some weird compatibility issue with whatever hardware you are running. Surely it will make more sense to focus on having the best experience for things you definitely will play rather than compromising for some hypothetical game you may never play?

See, I'm thinking that depending on your needs you could do just as well with something like a PCI Geforce 4MX, which can quietly sit in your machine and go completely unused while you do all your gaming in XP with a substantially nicer AGP card. (Your BIOS should let you toggle between using a PCI card and using an AGP card.) But I guess that's just my opinion.

Reply 10 of 22, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
7900gtx http://img.hwbot.org/u12714/image_id_1645614.jpeg […]
Show full quote

7900gtx
image_id_1645614.jpeg

How do get 2GB of ram working in windows 98? I can only get 1GB.

Reply 12 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

2gb is more than usable by editing the system.ini. And that was a ln2 run. It's not my system. It was the winner of the windows98 old school is best school oc event on hwbot.
There was someone using a 2600k system top

Reply 13 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arkzyw wrote:
Thanks guys. Didn't know that even 7800GS can work with Win98. I guess I'll try it. One more question though - if i get 512MB on […]
Show full quote

Thanks guys. Didn't know that even 7800GS can work with Win98. I guess I'll try it. One more question though - if i get 512MB one, will it work, or can produce some serious issues ? Just need a confirmaton, and in the meantime will do some reading.

Jorpho wrote:
But those games will run under XP, and will probably run much better with a faster card. Is there something you definitely want […]
Show full quote
Arkzyw wrote:

I remember having issues with some games after moving to XP these years ago, and there are still a lot of games I haven't played yet, so I want both 98/XP just to be sure, that everything will work.

A combined windows 98 / windows xp is very hard to do.

First there is that AGP / PCI-e graphics card problem
Second windows 98[se] is limited official to an upper limited of 512 / 768Mb of memory.. After editing this OS it is possible to use 1GB instead, but windows xp requires a lot of more memory.. I dont know which service pack you will install on windows xp.. But on my opinion SP2 is really required and will solve most of the important problems in this OS.

The conclusion is that the timeframe on windows 98 / windows xp is just to long without avoid these problems you will encounter. I was in the same boat here. But didnt want to spend money on the R loewe patches or such thing that only makes things harder then they are. If you want games from the late 1999 / begin 2000, i think it would be better to go for windows 2000 instead.. I know the kernel is almost the same like windows xp.

But because it uses the same User graphics interface as windows 98, the need for memory is much lower. Most of these games will support windows 98 / ME / 2000

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ I agree

There are operating systems that lend themselves for hybrid machines. To me there is DOS and Windows 98 and there is Windows XP and Vista or 7.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 22, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arkzyw wrote:

I want fastest possible AGP card compatible with Windows98se(I'm using these unofficial SP if that changes anything), and not producing issues with slightly older games

You want a GeForce 4 Ti4600.

Get a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra if you're never going to play Splinter Cell. Even if you change your mind later, Splinter Cell will still run OK.

Don't bother with Radeon in Win9x.

Arkzyw wrote:

... and 2GB DDR Ram

Don't push your luck. 512mb is more than enough for games that run in Win9x, and you won't have any weird issues to deal with.

Reply 16 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Why not a fx5950 ultra. For me that's the best all round agp card for any system. Ok ok, so it sucks with pixel shader 2.0, buts it's a true agp card with a wide range of support for both games and os's.
Also why would a 5900 be bad with Splinter Cell? My 5950 plays the game fine.

Anyway the f you get a 5900/5950 get a artic nv4 heat sink. With that cooler it will run a heck of a lot cooler and allow for some good oc'ing if your into that.

Edit w98 can use up to 2gb of ram by editing the system.ini anything more and you need to use that 4gb kernel driver or whatever it was called.

Reply 17 of 22, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Why not a fx5950 ultra.

You can't run v45.23 drivers with the 5950. It's not a show-stopper, but Arkzyw did say, "not producing issues with slightly older games". Being able to use older drivers may possibly offer a compatibility advantage.

Jade Falcon wrote:

For me that's the best all round agp card for any system.

I agree. I own two 5950s myself and have never had a problem.

Jade Falcon wrote:

why would a 5900 be bad with Splinter Cell? My 5950 plays the game fine.

There was a huge thread about it awhile back. Basically, only GF4 cards are able to render the shadows and lighting correctly. I know I'm unlikely to play that game, so I am not concerned. Even if I do decide to play it, I have a few GF4 systems.

Jade Falcon wrote:

Anyway the f you get a 5900/5950 get a artic nv4 heat sink. With that cooler it will run a heck of a lot cooler and allow for some good oc'ing if your into that.

I run the OEM cooler on mine, but I have the Leadtek version with the massive heatsink. It works fine.

Reply 18 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's all about the games. If you want to play Incoming and Shogo without glitches, TNT2 Ultra is the top card 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 22, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

2gb is more than usable by editing the system.ini. And that was a ln2 run. It's not my system. It was the winner of the windows98 old school is best school oc event on hwbot.
There was someone using a 2600k system top

Kinda slow that X850 with 2600k 😀

3DMark01 SE.png
Filename
3DMark01 SE.png
File size
262.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^Stock air cooling on CPU 😉

157143230295.png