VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Second windows 98[se] is limited official to an upper limited of 512 / 768Mb of memory.. After editing this OS it is possible to use 1GB instead, but windows xp requires a lot of more memory..

People overcome this issue all the time using HIMEMX or just a large RAM disk. It is not much of a concern.

Reply 21 of 22, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

You can't run v45.23 drivers with the 5950. It's not a show-stopper, but Arkzyw did say, "not producing issues with slightly older games". Being able to use older drivers may possibly offer a compatibility advantage.

This is not true.

45.23 supports any card from FX series, but models like 5900XT or 5950 were released later than driver and because of that their device IDs aren't included in NVAGP.ini file. This results in message from installer "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on this system. The installation will be terminated."

The solution is simple - add missing entry under [Mfg] and [Strings] in NVAGP.ini . The &DEV_xxxx (xxxx is the number, for example 0332 means FX5900XT) that identifies card can be found in Device Manager:
5pjQo.png

Almost ready to add entries:

[Mfg]
%NVIDIA&DEV_xxxx.DeviceDesc% = NV30, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_xxxx
[Strings]
NVIDIA&DEV_xxxx.DeviceDesc="GeForce FX 5950 Ultra"

Reply 22 of 22, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tyuper wrote:
KT7AGuy wrote:

You can't run v45.23 drivers with the 5950. It's not a show-stopper, but Arkzyw did say, "not producing issues with slightly older games". Being able to use older drivers may possibly offer a compatibility advantage.

This is not true.

<snipped instructions>

Well now, that's some very good info to know! 😲 Thank you very much for sharing that!

My last 5900 Ultra died awhile back and I never got around to replacing it. Now I don't have to! Again, thanks very much! 😀